Mya moe mystique

csereduke

Reaction score
Hi,
I just got my first Mya Moe Soprano and I have to admit, it is a well crafted instrument but certainly not better than a Kanilea or a KoAloha in any way. I am convinced that the company is selling the "have it your way" mentality and the wait list which is ridiculous to say the least. It is the quintessential supply and demand theory in action, not quality driven in my opinion.
Any thoughts or opinions to share?

I have 30+ ukes including 3 Koalohas.

I would not call it mystique but all I know is that when i reach for my favorite uke to record or perform with it's usually the Mya-Moe.

It's not that it's louder or anything like that in fact it's not that loud but the quality of the sound and the ease of the fretboard make it my favorite in most cases.

You could same the same about wait lists etc for other high end ukes like DeSilva, blackbird etc...

I've met Gordon and Char, and they really do put their heart and soul into each uke they make and it shows.

It is all about tone...what your ears like to hear....
the ukes that are built in Hawaii have a deep/richer tone than ones built in the mainland...IMO

most high end ukes should be built nicer than production ukes but not always....

my 2 cents

I think also what comes into play her is your playing style and the kinds of music you play. Some builders IME seem to favor specific kinds of play and music, one uke may sound unbelievable to a player with his style but the next guy picking up the same uke will be underwhelmed. That is why it is so very important to not buy into what other people say and use your own ears hands by actually trying an example from the builder before placing any expensive or custom uke order.

Yep, which is why I have so many ukes. they sound different for different songs, and types of playing.

as a classical guitarist, maybe that's why I like the Mya-Moe most of the time. But the Koalohas have a nice loud bright sounds that is perfect for other music, as are the Kiwaya sopranos with re-entrant tunning... and so on.

I think also what comes into play her is your playing style and the kinds of music you play. Some builders IME seem to favor specific kinds of play and music, one uke may sound unbelievable to a player with his style but the next guy picking up the same uke will be underwhelmed. That is why it is so very important to not buy into what other people say and use your own ears hands by actually trying an example from the builder before placing any expensive or custom uke order.

I'm curious what drove you to order one in the first place? Was there a sound you heard that you thought was missing from your stable of instruments, or did you just figure that since there's a demand for them, there must be something magical about them?

I think even Gordon and Char wouldn't claim that their ukes are holy grail ukes that sound better than other top builders. I have never owned a mya-moe (but I would love to). But I have played some. They were truly great ukes. To me it seems like you get what you pay for with them. They are worth every penny. But they are no bargain. For people who like to get great deals on things a mya-moe is probably not for you. At this point in my life I am a deal seeker (used ukes, factory seconds, etc). But some day when finances allow I would love a mya-moe.

I also agree with what billten said about playing styles. For example, I know that Kamakas are great ukes because so many people absolutely adore them. But I have always been completely underwhelmed probably because I am looking for a different sound and they don't suit my style.

In my particular case I had gotten a chance to try two Mya-Moe ukes in the past, and saw one that fit all my specs and price here in the marketplace at a very sweet price.

I figured I could always resell it if it was not what I wanted.

Well I loved it, and Gordon and Char were very nice and transferred the ownership of record and warranty to me. It's been on the top 3 list of the ukes I like and play the most.

I'm curious what drove you to order one in the first place? Was there a sound you heard that you thought was missing from your stable of instruments, or did you just figure that since there's a demand for them, there must be something magical about them?

I had a Mya-Moe tenor for a few months. I liked it, but not as much as my Kamaka tenor, so I sold it. I own a Mya-Moe lap steel resonator, a tenor resonator is nearly completed and I should have it within 2 weeks.
If you don't like your Mya-Moe Soprano, chances are you can sell it easily in the marketplace unless you ordered it to a very individualized taste level.

So, you think your new uke is "well crafted," but yet you don't think they are a "quality driven" company. Care to provide some details on your displeasure with their overall quality standard?

I have a lot of experience with Mya Moe - own three of them with one on the way. And I have plenty of experience with other ukes at all levels. I have a soprano, concert and tenor (although the soprano is sold and on its way out the door). The concert was built for me and the other two bought used.

I think they are worth every penny and are actually a good value. The big plus to me is the playability. The necks are excellent and easy to play. Of the three that I have the soprano is the best constructed. No problems with it. It is also the one that I decided I liked the least. The sound is very sweet and it is pretty. But, I don't find myself playing much soprano at all these days and the higher notes (on any soprano) are not that usable. It is also sweet but not loud. And generally I have mixed feelings about radius necks but I think they are largely a negative - for me this is personal - on a soprano. OP says he has a soprano. For me the Mya Moe seem to get better as you move to concert and tenor. But I could imagine that someone who normally plays soprano might have one and feel differently than I do.

The concert is the one I ordered for myself. The workmanship actually has a couple of small mistakes. For what it is worth Gordon pointed them out to me at the time and offered to make me another one instead. To me they are no worse than minor nits that develop over time so I told him it wasn't necessary. I don't know that I like the look of my choice of wood - I'm not an artist. However, I love the playability of it and it is often my go to ukulele. The neck is fantastic.

The tenor was also used. It actually has quite a few issues, and Gordon told me that it was one of the first ones made by Aaron and was part of a special run that was not custom. It has also been dropped by the previous owner. I sent it back to Gordon who fixed it up free of charge even though I wasn't the original owner. It still has some minor construction issues. But playability and sound are great. The only tenor I have that is easier to play is my Moore Bettah. It's a real workhorse type of instrument. And the tone is fantastic although very different from a Hawaiian tenor. It is sweeter and lighter.

The K brands are all good. Every one has its merits. They can be cheaper than a Mya Moe. The least expensive of the Koaloha for instance are cheaper, but they are also more cheaply constructed. They don't have appointments like the peghed tuners. The less expensive models are really very plain. None of them have a radius fretboard - which may or may not be a plus. You don't get to choose and you are limited in wood choice. The tradition models of Mya Moe compare well to the K brands in features and price. The Mya Moe tone is more of a mainland made uke type tone, not as deep as the Hawaiian ukes seem to be.

I don't think Mya Moe is the end all and be all. In fact there are customs out there like Covered Bridge or a Black Bear that offer more for the money and a custom as well. And there are top level customs - Moore Bettah and Koolau (ones I have experience with) - that are significantly better than Mya Moe (but they cost more too).

My overall feeling about Mya Moe is that they make a first rate musicians workhorse. They always come with the right buttons for straps. The necks are playable and well-intonated. You can easily specify a pickup. They are relatively inexpensive compared to a high end custom. My experience with Mya Moe is that they are an instrument that grows on you over time. For me its not the uke that you pick up out of the box and go "Wow". But it is the uke that you play day after day and month after month and it grows on you. That can be a good thing. To me the Collings concert by contrast was a uke I took out of the box and went "Wow." And then I liked it less every day that I played it. Nothing at all was wrong with it but it actually started to annoy me. In the end it is what suits you and your playing style. I don't think Mya Moe is just hype or marketing or the psychology of waiting. I think its the real deal. But Mya Moe are not perfect, nor is any other uke. And they are not going to be for everyone.

I agree with most everything Katysax said. I currently have a Mya-moe super soprano and have owned quite a few others over the years and was never disappointed or felt that it was not a good value. In fact, I think they are a good value and Gordon and Char are a pleasure to deal with and stand behind their product 100%. It's a great business model.

Mitch

I have a large collection of ukulele's and I am fascinated by the various sounds/ tone quality of most of my collection. I realize that all this is very personal and opinion based. I heard a Mya Moe played in person and was impressed enough to get one of my own. When it arrived, I can honestly admit to being a little disappointed and I think it had more to do with the expectation that the long wait and fuss would somehow be worth it. For me, it was not. I see that this instrument is good quality but I sense that this is much ado about nothing. I am happy to add it to my collection but it will take a back seat to other favorites.

So, you think your new uke is "well crafted," but yet you don't think they are a "quality driven" company. Care to provide some details on your displeasure with their overall quality standard?

The peg tuners are loose / do not hold tune for long and the bookmatch back is not symmetrical. For this $ instrument, I could hope for better.

I got my Mya-Moe concert at the beginning of the summer. I was pleased with the craftsmanship and I thought it sounded good, but to be honest, not as great as I'd hoped. I play it often and there's no question in my mind that the sound has changed and the ukulele has opened up. Sometimes now when I am playing (fingerpicking) and everything comes together nicely, I actually get a little giddy with delight. And yes, Gordon and Char are great to do business with.

The peg tuners are loose / do not hold tune for long and the bookmatch back is not symmetrical. For this $ instrument, I could hope for better.

If you are unhappy with your instrument, talk to Gordon and Char. They will make it right. I have never known two people more focused on customer service. Coming here and complaining accomplishes nothing. Talk to the builder if you are unsatisfied.

I understand not everybody appreciates the way Mya-Moe has chosen to market their product. Everyone has the choice not to buy from them. But to come here and make a blanket statement that it's some sort of scam is just ridiculous. These are good people doing their best to do a good job. If you don't like their product, that's fine; put it up for sale and see how fast it goes. But work with Gordon and Char first; you will be shocked at how accommodating they are.

If you are unhappy with your instrument, talk to Gordon and Char. They will make it right. I have never known two people more focused on customer service. Coming here and complaining accomplishes nothing. Talk to the builder if you are unsatisfied.

I understand not everybody appreciates the way Mya-Moe has chosen to market their product. Everyone has the choice not to buy from them. But to come here and make a blanket statement that it's some sort of scam is just ridiculous. These are good people doing their best to do a good job. If you don't like their product, that's fine; put it up for sale and see how fast it goes. But work with Gordon and Char first; you will be shocked at how accommodating they are.

Never said anything about a scam. Only my experience with this instrument. Read the lines, not your own version "between the lines" and all will be well.

Like many Mya Moe owners (some of whom are professional musicians), i could not possibly be more pleased with my instrument. It's perfect in every way (though they'd likely bristle at the notion of perfection since they're always striving to improve).

Did you contact them directly about your issues? Somehow, i'm guessing not.

By the way, i experienced a ukulele from one of the other builders mentioned in this thread, and the difference in quality and playability was astounding (it went out of tune beyond the fourth fret or so). But i wouldn't hesitate for one moment to add another Mya Moe ukulele to my household.

Last edited:
Never said anything about a scam. Only my experience with this instrument. Read the lines, not your own version "between the lines" and all will be well.

I read the lines very clearly:

"I am convinced that the company is selling the "have it your way" mentality and the wait list which is ridiculous to say the least. It is the quintessential supply and demand theory in action, not quality driven in my opinion."

What was the result of discussing your disappointment with Mya-Moe? Or have you simply decided it's more fun to stir up trouble on the internet?

Edit to add: BTW, while I don't currently own a Mya-Moe, I, too was disappointed with the first one I ordered. So I talked to Gordon and Char, and they offered to do whatever they could to make it right; make changes to the one I bought, allow me to order a new one, refund all my money, or ultimately, to sell me one out of stock (when they had stock!) that was far more valuable than the one I bought. They did everything they possibly could have to make me a happy customer. If I'm biased, it's because I have experience.

Last edited:
I read the lines very clearly:

"I am convinced that the company is selling the "have it your way" mentality and the wait list which is ridiculous to say the least. It is the quintessential supply and demand theory in action, not quality driven in my opinion."

What was the result of discussing your disappointment with Mya-Moe? Or have you simply decided it's more fun to stir up trouble on the internet?

Edit to add: BTW, while I don't currently own a Mya-Moe, I, too was disappointed with the first one I ordered. So I talked to Gordon and Char, and they offered to do whatever they could to make it right; make changes to the one I bought, allow me to order a new one, refund all my money, or ultimately, to sell me one out of stock (when they had stock!) that was far more valuable than the one I bought. They did everything they possibly could have to make me a happy customer. If I'm biased, it's because I have experience.

And "scam" is where? This is supposed to be forum to express experience and opinions not defensible or indefensible positions.

Top Bottom