PDA

View Full Version : Mya moe mystique

csereduke
10-27-2014, 05:33 AM
Hi,
I just got my first Mya Moe Soprano and I have to admit, it is a well crafted instrument but certainly not better than a Kanilea or a KoAloha in any way. I am convinced that the company is selling the "have it your way" mentality and the wait list which is ridiculous to say the least. It is the quintessential supply and demand theory in action, not quality driven in my opinion.
Any thoughts or opinions to share?

Olarte
10-27-2014, 06:01 AM
I have 30+ ukes including 3 Koalohas.

I would not call it mystique but all I know is that when i reach for my favorite uke to record or perform with it's usually the Mya-Moe.

It's not that it's louder or anything like that in fact it's not that loud but the quality of the sound and the ease of the fretboard make it my favorite in most cases.

You could same the same about wait lists etc for other high end ukes like DeSilva, blackbird etc...

I've met Gordon and Char, and they really do put their heart and soul into each uke they make and it shows.

hawaii 50
10-27-2014, 06:20 AM
It is all about tone...what your ears like to hear....
the ukes that are built in Hawaii have a deep/richer tone than ones built in the mainland...IMO

most high end ukes should be built nicer than production ukes but not always....

my 2 cents

billten
10-27-2014, 06:21 AM
I think also what comes into play her is your playing style and the kinds of music you play. Some builders IME seem to favor specific kinds of play and music, one uke may sound unbelievable to a player with his style but the next guy picking up the same uke will be underwhelmed. That is why it is so very important to not buy into what other people say and use your own ears hands by actually trying an example from the builder before placing any expensive or custom uke order.

Olarte
10-27-2014, 06:37 AM
Yep, which is why I have so many ukes. they sound different for different songs, and types of playing.

as a classical guitarist, maybe that's why I like the Mya-Moe most of the time. But the Koalohas have a nice loud bright sounds that is perfect for other music, as are the Kiwaya sopranos with re-entrant tunning... and so on.

I think also what comes into play her is your playing style and the kinds of music you play. Some builders IME seem to favor specific kinds of play and music, one uke may sound unbelievable to a player with his style but the next guy picking up the same uke will be underwhelmed. That is why it is so very important to not buy into what other people say and use your own ears hands by actually trying an example from the builder before placing any expensive or custom uke order.

KoaDependent
10-27-2014, 06:38 AM
I'm curious what drove you to order one in the first place? Was there a sound you heard that you thought was missing from your stable of instruments, or did you just figure that since there's a demand for them, there must be something magical about them?

dirtiestkidever
10-27-2014, 06:42 AM
I think even Gordon and Char wouldn't claim that their ukes are holy grail ukes that sound better than other top builders. I have never owned a mya-moe (but I would love to). But I have played some. They were truly great ukes. To me it seems like you get what you pay for with them. They are worth every penny. But they are no bargain. For people who like to get great deals on things a mya-moe is probably not for you. At this point in my life I am a deal seeker (used ukes, factory seconds, etc). But some day when finances allow I would love a mya-moe.

I also agree with what billten said about playing styles. For example, I know that Kamakas are great ukes because so many people absolutely adore them. But I have always been completely underwhelmed probably because I am looking for a different sound and they don't suit my style.

Olarte
10-27-2014, 06:45 AM
In my particular case I had gotten a chance to try two Mya-Moe ukes in the past, and saw one that fit all my specs and price here in the marketplace at a very sweet price.

I figured I could always resell it if it was not what I wanted.

Well I loved it, and Gordon and Char were very nice and transferred the ownership of record and warranty to me. It's been on the top 3 list of the ukes I like and play the most.

I'm curious what drove you to order one in the first place? Was there a sound you heard that you thought was missing from your stable of instruments, or did you just figure that since there's a demand for them, there must be something magical about them?

Cornfield
10-27-2014, 06:54 AM
I had a Mya-Moe tenor for a few months. I liked it, but not as much as my Kamaka tenor, so I sold it. I own a Mya-Moe lap steel resonator, a tenor resonator is nearly completed and I should have it within 2 weeks.
If you don't like your Mya-Moe Soprano, chances are you can sell it easily in the marketplace unless you ordered it to a very individualized taste level.

hammer40
10-27-2014, 06:55 AM
So, you think your new uke is "well crafted," but yet you don't think they are a "quality driven" company. Care to provide some details on your displeasure with their overall quality standard?

katysax
10-27-2014, 07:44 AM
I have a lot of experience with Mya Moe - own three of them with one on the way. And I have plenty of experience with other ukes at all levels. I have a soprano, concert and tenor (although the soprano is sold and on its way out the door). The concert was built for me and the other two bought used.

I think they are worth every penny and are actually a good value. The big plus to me is the playability. The necks are excellent and easy to play. Of the three that I have the soprano is the best constructed. No problems with it. It is also the one that I decided I liked the least. The sound is very sweet and it is pretty. But, I don't find myself playing much soprano at all these days and the higher notes (on any soprano) are not that usable. It is also sweet but not loud. And generally I have mixed feelings about radius necks but I think they are largely a negative - for me this is personal - on a soprano. OP says he has a soprano. For me the Mya Moe seem to get better as you move to concert and tenor. But I could imagine that someone who normally plays soprano might have one and feel differently than I do.

The concert is the one I ordered for myself. The workmanship actually has a couple of small mistakes. For what it is worth Gordon pointed them out to me at the time and offered to make me another one instead. To me they are no worse than minor nits that develop over time so I told him it wasn't necessary. I don't know that I like the look of my choice of wood - I'm not an artist. However, I love the playability of it and it is often my go to ukulele. The neck is fantastic.

The tenor was also used. It actually has quite a few issues, and Gordon told me that it was one of the first ones made by Aaron and was part of a special run that was not custom. It has also been dropped by the previous owner. I sent it back to Gordon who fixed it up free of charge even though I wasn't the original owner. It still has some minor construction issues. But playability and sound are great. The only tenor I have that is easier to play is my Moore Bettah. It's a real workhorse type of instrument. And the tone is fantastic although very different from a Hawaiian tenor. It is sweeter and lighter.

The K brands are all good. Every one has its merits. They can be cheaper than a Mya Moe. The least expensive of the Koaloha for instance are cheaper, but they are also more cheaply constructed. They don't have appointments like the peghed tuners. The less expensive models are really very plain. None of them have a radius fretboard - which may or may not be a plus. You don't get to choose and you are limited in wood choice. The tradition models of Mya Moe compare well to the K brands in features and price. The Mya Moe tone is more of a mainland made uke type tone, not as deep as the Hawaiian ukes seem to be.

I don't think Mya Moe is the end all and be all. In fact there are customs out there like Covered Bridge or a Black Bear that offer more for the money and a custom as well. And there are top level customs - Moore Bettah and Koolau (ones I have experience with) - that are significantly better than Mya Moe (but they cost more too).

My overall feeling about Mya Moe is that they make a first rate musicians workhorse. They always come with the right buttons for straps. The necks are playable and well-intonated. You can easily specify a pickup. They are relatively inexpensive compared to a high end custom. My experience with Mya Moe is that they are an instrument that grows on you over time. For me its not the uke that you pick up out of the box and go "Wow". But it is the uke that you play day after day and month after month and it grows on you. That can be a good thing. To me the Collings concert by contrast was a uke I took out of the box and went "Wow." And then I liked it less every day that I played it. Nothing at all was wrong with it but it actually started to annoy me. In the end it is what suits you and your playing style. I don't think Mya Moe is just hype or marketing or the psychology of waiting. I think its the real deal. But Mya Moe are not perfect, nor is any other uke. And they are not going to be for everyone.

mkatz
10-27-2014, 07:54 AM
I agree with most everything Katysax said. I currently have a Mya-moe super soprano and have owned quite a few others over the years and was never disappointed or felt that it was not a good value. In fact, I think they are a good value and Gordon and Char are a pleasure to deal with and stand behind their product 100%. It's a great business model.

Mitch

csereduke
10-27-2014, 08:01 AM

I have a large collection of ukulele's and I am fascinated by the various sounds/ tone quality of most of my collection. I realize that all this is very personal and opinion based. I heard a Mya Moe played in person and was impressed enough to get one of my own. When it arrived, I can honestly admit to being a little disappointed and I think it had more to do with the expectation that the long wait and fuss would somehow be worth it. For me, it was not. I see that this instrument is good quality but I sense that this is much ado about nothing. I am happy to add it to my collection but it will take a back seat to other favorites.

csereduke
10-27-2014, 08:13 AM
So, you think your new uke is "well crafted," but yet you don't think they are a "quality driven" company. Care to provide some details on your displeasure with their overall quality standard?

The peg tuners are loose / do not hold tune for long and the bookmatch back is not symmetrical. For this $ instrument, I could hope for better.

cantsing
10-27-2014, 08:16 AM
I got my Mya-Moe concert at the beginning of the summer. I was pleased with the craftsmanship and I thought it sounded good, but to be honest, not as great as I'd hoped. I play it often and there's no question in my mind that the sound has changed and the ukulele has opened up. Sometimes now when I am playing (fingerpicking) and everything comes together nicely, I actually get a little giddy with delight. And yes, Gordon and Char are great to do business with.

RichM
10-27-2014, 08:25 AM
The peg tuners are loose / do not hold tune for long and the bookmatch back is not symmetrical. For this $ instrument, I could hope for better.

If you are unhappy with your instrument, talk to Gordon and Char. They will make it right. I have never known two people more focused on customer service. Coming here and complaining accomplishes nothing. Talk to the builder if you are unsatisfied.

I understand not everybody appreciates the way Mya-Moe has chosen to market their product. Everyone has the choice not to buy from them. But to come here and make a blanket statement that it's some sort of scam is just ridiculous. These are good people doing their best to do a good job. If you don't like their product, that's fine; put it up for sale and see how fast it goes. But work with Gordon and Char first; you will be shocked at how accommodating they are.

csereduke
10-27-2014, 08:31 AM
If you are unhappy with your instrument, talk to Gordon and Char. They will make it right. I have never known two people more focused on customer service. Coming here and complaining accomplishes nothing. Talk to the builder if you are unsatisfied.

I understand not everybody appreciates the way Mya-Moe has chosen to market their product. Everyone has the choice not to buy from them. But to come here and make a blanket statement that it's some sort of scam is just ridiculous. These are good people doing their best to do a good job. If you don't like their product, that's fine; put it up for sale and see how fast it goes. But work with Gordon and Char first; you will be shocked at how accommodating they are.

Never said anything about a scam. Only my experience with this instrument. Read the lines, not your own version "between the lines" and all will be well.

estreya
10-27-2014, 08:33 AM
Like many Mya Moe owners (some of whom are professional musicians), i could not possibly be more pleased with my instrument. It's perfect in every way (though they'd likely bristle at the notion of perfection since they're always striving to improve).

Did you contact them directly about your issues? Somehow, i'm guessing not.

By the way, i experienced a ukulele from one of the other builders mentioned in this thread, and the difference in quality and playability was astounding (it went out of tune beyond the fourth fret or so). But i wouldn't hesitate for one moment to add another Mya Moe ukulele to my household.

RichM
10-27-2014, 08:38 AM
Never said anything about a scam. Only my experience with this instrument. Read the lines, not your own version "between the lines" and all will be well.

I read the lines very clearly:

"I am convinced that the company is selling the "have it your way" mentality and the wait list which is ridiculous to say the least. It is the quintessential supply and demand theory in action, not quality driven in my opinion."

What was the result of discussing your disappointment with Mya-Moe? Or have you simply decided it's more fun to stir up trouble on the internet?

Edit to add: BTW, while I don't currently own a Mya-Moe, I, too was disappointed with the first one I ordered. So I talked to Gordon and Char, and they offered to do whatever they could to make it right; make changes to the one I bought, allow me to order a new one, refund all my money, or ultimately, to sell me one out of stock (when they had stock!) that was far more valuable than the one I bought. They did everything they possibly could have to make me a happy customer. If I'm biased, it's because I have experience.

csereduke
10-27-2014, 08:43 AM
I read the lines very clearly:

"I am convinced that the company is selling the "have it your way" mentality and the wait list which is ridiculous to say the least. It is the quintessential supply and demand theory in action, not quality driven in my opinion."

What was the result of discussing your disappointment with Mya-Moe? Or have you simply decided it's more fun to stir up trouble on the internet?

Edit to add: BTW, while I don't currently own a Mya-Moe, I, too was disappointed with the first one I ordered. So I talked to Gordon and Char, and they offered to do whatever they could to make it right; make changes to the one I bought, allow me to order a new one, refund all my money, or ultimately, to sell me one out of stock (when they had stock!) that was far more valuable than the one I bought. They did everything they possibly could have to make me a happy customer. If I'm biased, it's because I have experience.

And "scam" is where? This is supposed to be forum to express experience and opinions not defensible or indefensible positions.

RichM
10-27-2014, 08:46 AM
And "scam" is where? This is supposed to be forum to express experience and opinions not defensible or indefensible positions.

My original comment removed voluntarily as inappropriate.

csereduke
10-27-2014, 09:08 AM
I got my Mya-Moe concert at the beginning of the summer. I was pleased with the craftsmanship and I thought it sounded good, but to be honest, not as great as I'd hoped. I play it often and there's no question in my mind that the sound has changed and the ukulele has opened up. Sometimes now when I am playing (fingerpicking) and everything comes together nicely, I actually get a little giddy with delight. And yes, Gordon and Char are great to do business with.

Thanks for this reply. I had always intended to hold onto this uke. I hope I have the same experience as you. The flaws do not outweigh the possibilities.

Cornfield
10-27-2014, 10:08 AM
Moderators please close this thread.

The Big Kahuna
10-27-2014, 10:35 AM
Have fun trolling.

And this is precisely why this "person" is on my ignore list (before you question why I read his posts on this thread, it's because they show up when they're quoted). The OP expressed an opinion, and having spent what I presume to be nearly a couple of grand, he's within his rights to do so, and at no point suggested any untoward business practices on the part of Mya Moe. All too often on UU, certain members selectively and deliberately mis-read or misinterpret posts to fit their own agenda.

Or it could just be a lack of education.

The Big Kahuna
10-27-2014, 10:37 AM

Why? You weren't the OP, so why do you think you have the right to request a thread be closed?

mariegan7
10-27-2014, 11:02 AM
I agree, the OP is just expressing his opinion. If threads were closed just because people had differing opinions than this forum would be a lot less interesting.

RichM
10-27-2014, 11:07 AM
And this is precisely why this "person" is on my ignore list (before you question why I read his posts on this thread, it's because they show up when they're quoted). The OP expressed an opinion, and having spent what I presume to be nearly a couple of grand, he's within his rights to do so, and at no point suggested any untoward business practices on the part of Mya Moe. All too often on UU, certain members selectively and deliberately mis-read or misinterpret posts to fit their own agenda.

Or it could just be a lack of education.

Really? Nobody quoted the post you quoted above. Please put me back on ignore, it will be better for your blood pressure.

coolkayaker1
10-27-2014, 11:26 AM
as nearly always, i agree with katysax.

as for kanileas being consistently better than mya moes [as stated by op], i have found them to be the blingiest, most inconsistently intoned and often dead sounding production ukes around. so, i guess everyone has their opinions, op.

RichM
10-27-2014, 12:05 PM
I never suggested the thread be closed; that's another poster. As for the original poster, he's certainly entitled to his opinion, as I (and everyone else) are entitled to theirs.

The OP can be disappointed with his Mya-Moe uke. I take no issues with that. Nobody likes everything, and musical instruments are very personal. I have owned several instruments I made no connection with, but went on to be somebody else's favorite (and conversely, my favorite uke is someone else's castoff). There are three things I take issues with how this post was handled, and I don't see anything wrong with calling these out:

1. The fact that the OP brought his issues to the forum before he attempted to resolve them with Mya-Moe. Or maybe he did; I asked him several times how he had addressed it with Mya-Moe, and he never responded. That causes me to believe he didn't-- I'd love to be wrong. Why not address the issue with the builder/seller? If I'm biased here, it's because I know how hard the Mya-Moe team work to satisfy their customer. You'll never make everybody happy, but these guys try harder than anyone I've ever met.
2. The suggestion that Mya-Moe's build lottery is an artificial way to create demand. Again, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I don't believe this for a second. Mya-Moe was drowning in demand. This was a way to address high demand without creating an untenable backlog. Many will disagree with this business decision, and that's their right; I just don't believe there was any malice or subterfuge behind it.
3. The suggestion that Mya-Moe's success is driven by marketing ploys, rather than quality builds. I don't think I'm misreading the OP's perspective here. One might not care for the Mya-Moe product, but if you are going to call into question the quality of their build processes, I'd like to see some evidence beyond "I didn't like the uke."

I will acknowledge it was out-of-bounds to accuse the OP of trolling, and I apologize for that. Otherwise, I stand by my perspective. The OP had every right to air his perspective, and I have every right to offer a different perspective.

hawaii 50
10-27-2014, 12:20 PM
I have a large collection of ukulele's and I am fascinated by the various sounds/ tone quality of most of my collection. I realize that all this is very personal and opinion based. I heard a Mya Moe played in person and was impressed enough to get one of my own. When it arrived, I can honestly admit to being a little disappointed and I think it had more to do with the expectation that the long wait and fuss would somehow be worth it. For me, it was not. I see that this instrument is good quality but I sense that this is much ado about nothing. I am happy to add it to my collection but it will take a back seat to other favorites.

I understand your post and your opinion...and everyone can see you are not bashing Mya Moe....I said it is all about tone/sound and everyone has different taste...

I got my Mya Moe Mahogany Gloss tenor over 2 years ago and was disappointed when...I got it...as I went with the Mya Moe hype on the UU....:) the tone was not for me and not what I thought it would be for almost 1800.00 but learned to go with my own thoughts and experience on deciding which uke right for me ..not what others said/thought....good learning experience for me

I did get rid of the Mya Moe very easily but gave it to a good friend who was glad to have it....

sometimes you will order a custom uke and the tone/sound is not right...but that is how it goes....:)

Leigh Coates
10-27-2014, 12:26 PM
I have two Mya-Moes and love them both. I've had other high-end ukes in the past, and these are my favourites. The last one I got early because I won the build lottery, but I would have happily waited a year for it!

The people behind the company are wonderful.

There -- now it's settled.

PhilUSAFRet
10-27-2014, 12:35 PM
I don't think there is any "mystique" involved. MyaMoe's are world class, precision made instruments subject to the same variances experienced by all makers. The ones I've seen and/or played have been superior instruments in every way, as are those made by a number of fine luthiers/makers. Their reso ukes are top notch in every regard and the first time I held their banjo uke, I believe I compared it to a "bank vault"....a very high quality one. For me, it's loud, ringing tone is the "gold standard" for a banjo uke.

Cheeso
10-27-2014, 01:03 PM

Do other forum members try to close your threads?

Cornfield
10-27-2014, 01:15 PM
Do other forum members try to close your threads?

Possibly I made my request incorrectly. Once an accusation is made that a uu'er is trolling, and things get personal I think it best to end the conversation. I'll retire from this thread.

katysax
10-27-2014, 01:27 PM
I want to add that - ukulele quality aside - a big part of the success of Mya Moe is the level of customer service. The amount of attention that they give to each purchaser is outright amazing. And the extent to which they are willing to go to make the customer happy is exceptional. When I acquired a damaged Mya Moe, not only did Gordon fix it free of charge, but we exchanged several emails about various issues. For all of which neither Gordon nor the company made one single penny. The repair was promptly done, and the quality of the repair was excellent.

I have had issues with some other manufacturers and not a one has given me anything close to the service that I got from Mya Moe. It is said that Koaloha service is excellent, but I've never had to use it. But not all K brand makers have great service. I think that the personal touch and the positive experience is why Mya Moe has such a long wait list. Buying a uke from them is fun and they make you part of the Mya Moe family.

itsme
10-27-2014, 01:43 PM
the ukes that are built in Hawaii have a deep/richer tone than ones built in the mainland...IMO
Well, that's your opinion and you're entitled to it. But IMO, it's a broad over generalization.

Do you think Chuck Moore's ukes would be anything lesser if he lived/built in Idaho or anywhere else? (Not picking on Idaho, just pulled a state out of my head that I don't usually think of as having a plethora of high-end uke builders.)

Eyeguy
10-27-2014, 01:48 PM
I have zero problem with the original poster's opinion, as a matter of fact, I find his honesty refreshing. In my years of guitar and more recently uke collecting, I find many buy and like instruments because the prevailing opinion suggests that's what they ought to buy and like. As such, there is tacit pressure to rave about an instrument when one has expended a considerable sum of money and investment in time to acquire it, for admitting anything else is either an admission that you were swept up by the hype or worse yet that you simply are not sophisticated and talented enough to "get it" in the presence of such a fine instrument.

Granted, tonal, spec, and playability tastes vary from person to person, but the sheer numbers of heralded instruments that are gleefully reported on upon following arrival that eventually end up in the buy and sell section cannot be explained on financial grounds alone. Ukes, and other instruments, either sound and play good or they don't, regardless of the label inside, and, as with most products in life, there are gems and lemons sometimes co-existing within the same family of products, particularly when the products are individually hand made, so it's always possible that a different Mya-Moe uke may have been just the cat's meow to the poster.

As for the quality control issues with the poster's instrument, I agree with him, for that kind of dough, those seemingly minor faults should not have made it out the door, a fact that indicates too hectic a build timetable at best, or a lack of attention to providing a thorough final inspection at worst. I understand that everyone makes mistakes - we are all in the final analysis helplessly human after all - but paying higher premiums should carry with it a more stringent process and commitment to catching these kinds of errors before they head out to the customer, after all, this is what they specialize in. Yes, the poster could contact the good folks at Mya-Moe to have the issues resolved, and there is no doubt in my mind that they would make it right, but the point is he really shouldn't have to as these issues should have been checked before it ever got to him in the first place.

BTW, I found my experience with the folks at Mya-Moe to have been one of the more pleasurable experiences I have had with a builder of any kind. I no longer have the uke I purchased, but I no longer have a few other well known ukes I had previously purchased either. In the end, it's about what you like and only what you like and I make no apologies for having bought or sold any uke I've had. Catch and release is my mantra, while keeping hold of the good ones.

Sabantien
10-27-2014, 01:49 PM
I didn't read the OP as saying there's a scam, I read, "There's a lot of hype over these ukes, I bought one and was disappointed. For me it didn't live up to the hype."

Nothing wrong with expressing a little buyer's remorse.

For a lot of people all we have to go on with the customs is the hype. The OP said he heard one being played in person and that convinced him. That's the kicker for me. Heard one being played, not played one. As someone else said, different ukes suit different styles. In my case, I just don't play very well. The girl in the music shop would play one, hand it to me and I'd play it, and it would sound very different.

I know i'd like a custom built uke. Right now it's out of reach. But for me it just reinforces I need to play a few examples before investing. I like the idea of certain things but would really need to get hands on, and that isn't easy.

Dan Uke
10-27-2014, 02:03 PM
I've heard many opinions on both sides and there is nothing wrong with that. However, one thing you can't dispute is the customer service of MM, which is one of the drawing points to purchase a uke IMO...they all seem like great people.

My observation is that there's been several MM and Collings for sale in the last 3+ years I've been playing uke, which means that they have a strong following but not for everyone...that could be said with all ukes.

RichM
10-27-2014, 02:08 PM
I've heard many opinions on both sides and there is nothing wrong with that. However, one thing you can't dispute is the customer service of MM, which is one of the drawing points to purchase a uke IMO...they all seem like great people.

My observation is that there's been several MM and Collings for sale in the last 3+ years I've been playing uke, which means that they have a strong following but not for everyone...that could be said with all ukes.

I also think there is a trend for sellers, when money becomes an issue, to sell higher-dollar instruments to generate more cash. I think that's why we often see upper-end ukes for sale. But that in no way negates Daniel's observation-- when we pay 4 figures for a uke, we generally expect to be wowed-- and each players definition of "wow" will differ from others.

hawaii 50
10-27-2014, 02:10 PM
Well, that's your opinion and you're entitled to it. But IMO, it's a broad over generalization.

Do you think Chuck Moore's ukes would be anything lesser if he lived/built in Idaho or anywhere else? (Not picking on Idaho, just pulled a state out of my head that I don't usually think of as having a plethora of high-end uke builders.)

Haha...My Moore Bettah is my best sounding uke....and I am sure you will not see Chuck moving to Idaho soon....
:)

for sure if Chuck did not visit the Kamaka factory 30 or more years ago...there would be no more Moore Bettah Ukes(Chuck's Words not mine)

Dan Uke
10-27-2014, 02:20 PM
I also think there is a trend for sellers, when money becomes an issue, to sell higher-dollar instruments to generate more cash. I think that's why we often see upper-end ukes for sale. But that in no way negates Daniel's observation-- when we pay 4 figures for a uke, we generally expect to be wowed-- and each players definition of "wow" will differ from others.

True Rich...naturally, you pay more so you expect more. We all have our own expectations of each brand and based on that, it could be hype or satisfaction.

I remember Rich wrote something which is so true...paraphrasing, just because someone is selling an instrument doesn't means it's bad but it could become someone else's favorite.

Rick Turner
10-27-2014, 02:33 PM
As a fellow builder with Gordon and Char, and having spent a bit of time chatting and exchanging emails with them on all kinds of behind the scenes uke manufacturing issues, I can tell you that there are few people I'd rather do business with than them if I were not able to make my own instruments. They care, almost to a fault, about their customers and their employees, and that is one of the reasons why instead of jacking up production, they have chosen to limit it to what they are comfortable dealing with. I think their instruments are a bargain, and the only reason they can sell those instruments for as little as they do is because of their direct marketing approach, but on some levels, it's been driving them nuts. Do you have any idea of how much communication they have to juggle with a back order of (I think) around two hundred essentially custom ukes? Every minute, every hour spent talking or emailing their customers is a minute or hour not spent building ukes. They are trying to find a balance between selling too many and selling too few.

Don't forget, as Kenny Hill once said to me, "Rick, the problem with ukes is that they're 3/4 of the work of a guitar for 1/2 the money." I think of that myself every time I get another uke order...

Rick Turner
10-27-2014, 02:36 PM
One other comment, and not necessarily about MyaMoe...

There are a lot of uke (and guitar) players whose hobby it seems is buying instruments, hanging onto them for a few months, and then selling them, usually for less than they paid.

There are also a lot of folks with unrealistic expectations or who expect the next instrument to turn them into Jake uke or Martin Simpson on guitar.

Your money might be better spent on lessons and your time on practice rather than on ukes that cost over $500.00.

Including mine...

IamNoMan
10-27-2014, 02:36 PM
This discussion has me intrigued. What kind of tone rim/tone ring do the MyaMoes Banjoleles have?

estreya
10-27-2014, 02:47 PM
"There are also a lot of folks with unrealistic expectations or who expect the next instrument to turn them into Jake uke or Martin Simpson on guitar."

This is SUCH a brilliant point. Mya Moe does try hard to manage expectations, but there's a lot of extremely satisfied owners who laud their work with great enthusiasm. If this causes some prospective owners to believe they're going to fart flowers the moment they take their Mya Moe out of the case, well, i can see why they'd be disappointed.

Rick Turner
10-27-2014, 02:52 PM
Keller drum shells are often used for banjo uke rims; you can get a wide range of diameters and lengths to be cut down to banjo uke pot depth. Not sure what Gordon and Char are using, but that's a pretty good guess.

http://kellerproducts.com/

itsme
10-27-2014, 02:58 PM
....and I am sure you will not see Chuck moving to Idaho soon....
Never say never. :p

Maybe he'll tire of living in paradise, or maybe get fed up with the damn lousy weather there. You know, stuff like tropical storms/hurricanes, tsunamis, not to mention active volcanoes spewing lava or the risk of sunburn.

hawaii 50
10-27-2014, 03:01 PM
Never say never. :p

Maybe he'll tire of living in paradise, or maybe get fed up with the damn lousy weather there. You know, stuff like tropical storms/hurricanes, tsunamis, not to mention active volcanoes spewing lava or the risk of sunburn.

Haha.. you could be right...but he told me he loves it there...even with the Hurricanes and Lava very close to his property.....:)

mm stan
10-27-2014, 03:19 PM
Hi,
I just got my first Mya Moe Soprano and I have to admit, it is a well crafted instrument but certainly not better than a Kanilea or a KoAloha in any way. I am convinced that the company is selling the "have it your way" mentality and the wait list which is ridiculous to say the least. It is the quintessential supply and demand theory in action, not quality driven in my opinion.
Any thoughts or opinions to share?
Aloha,
Everyone has their own preference..what you may like or not like may not be for others... the old adage goes, you cannot please everyone as everyone has their own taste
and trying to compare them to other ukuleles pubically may incite a post war, this may not be how UU operates.. WE here like all ukes, as I do...ukuleles like people are all different
due to the building variances, luthier and materials.. comparing your voice to another person will most times be different...same as ukes..
even styles or neck shapes.. customs you get what you want or ask the luthier for, while buying from the rack you have to pick and choose what you want.
As for ukes I can have fun with any ukes, I've learned when you are just beginning, you blame the uke for alot for your inexperience... a good uker can enjoy and play any uke and have fun
just saying....happy strummings.. like the quality of life, learn to appriciate all :)

Markr1
10-27-2014, 03:33 PM
Well said my friend Stan!
Aloha,
Everyone has their own preference..what you may like or not like may not be for others... the old adage goes, you cannot please everyone as everyone has their own taste
and trying to compare them to other ukuleles pubically may incite a post war, this may not be how UU operates.. WE here like all ukes, as I do...ukuleles like people are all different
due to the building variances, luthier and materials.. comparing you voice to another person will most times be different...same as ukes..
even styles or neck shapes.. customs you get what you want or ask the luthier for, while buying from the rack you have to pick and choose what you want.
As for ukes I can have fun with any ukes, I've learned when you are just beginning, you blame the uke for alot of your inexperience... a good uker can enjoy and play any uke and have fun
just saying....happy strummings.. like the quality of life, learn to appriciate all :)

pritch
10-27-2014, 03:42 PM
happy strummings.. like the quality of life, learn to appriciate all :)

Exactly. I'm reminded of an elite athlete who was concerned because he didn't have the latest equipment fad.
An international coach told him, "Learn to love what you have."

rustysmith3
10-27-2014, 03:46 PM
There are several issues here I would like to address. FYI I have custom and factory instruments. Mostly higher end but a few bottom feeders for camping etc.

1. Quality is quality no matter who makes the instrument. That is a matter of attention to detail. We can discuss which details are most important to each individual.
2. Customer service is earned by the builder and something I find of high value. It may not really matter to others.
3. Tone is very subjective and is what is 'right' for one individual may not be for another.
4. As a broad GENERALIZATION here is what I find in the acoustic guitar world . Newer guitars are great for performing or traveling but if it's old and you want to collect or use it in a studio it seems flatpickers love old Martins and singer/songwriters love old Gibsons. There are lot's of varied tastes out there and none are right or wrong. Is there the same wide variety in the uke world?
5. The right tool for the right job will vary for every player, professional and amateur.

Let's cut a little slack to everyone posting here and just go play away until we get a smile instead of worrying about what ends up leaving a bad taste in everyones mouth.
Thanks....

itsme
10-27-2014, 03:53 PM
As for ukes I can have fun with any ukes, I've learned when you are just beginning, you blame the uke for alot of your inexperience... a good uker can enjoy and play any uke and have fun
Well, I've never blamed a uke for my sucky playing. :p Otherwise I mostly agree with you.

I appreciate all my ukes. My "best" ukes are a Mainland and a Pono and a Lehua (even if most people aren't familiar with the latter).

At this point in my life, I don't have a lot of disposable income. UAS has subsided. I am more than happy with what I've got. I appreciate every time I'm able to pick up a uke and play.

Sabantien
10-27-2014, 05:06 PM
One other comment, and not necessarily about MyaMoe...

There are a lot of uke (and guitar) players whose hobby it seems is buying instruments, hanging onto them for a few months, and then selling them, usually for less than they paid.

There are also a lot of folks with unrealistic expectations or who expect the next instrument to turn them into Jake uke or Martin Simpson on guitar.

Your money might be better spent on lessons and your time on practice rather than on ukes that cost over $500.00.

Including mine...

Back in the day I spent a lot of time on photography forums, and of course, everyone discusses the best gear. There was a guy who seemed to have a lot of disposable income. He'd buy the latest and greatest, the top end body with the best lenses. Take bad photos, then sell it all and try another brand. Never did learn to actually use the gear.

All that said, no idea what skill level the OP has, and it doesn't necessarily matter. Surely the best instrument for anyone is the one that feels best to play and sounds best to the person playing it, whatever the skill level.

AndrewKuker
10-27-2014, 07:09 PM
You are such a ****ing wanker...truly you take uke snobbery to a new level...the world does not revolve around you and your Moore Bettah...

my 2 cents...

Len is one of the kindest and most generous people I know. He worked his whole life delivering mail for the post office and saved up enough to have the nice ukes he now owns. He now takes care of his mother full time as she is in and out of the hospital. He’ll be the first to treat anyone to lunch even though he lives on a budget. He’s not the fortunate a-hole rich uke snob you think he is. Len is the salt of the earth and he may rub you the wrong way for whatever reason, but he’s just sharing his experience and opinion like everyone else here. I have no problem with you saying whatever you feel like Jon. But I know this man, and I feel the need to speak up for him, not because I know him, but because you're wrong.

Dan Uke
10-27-2014, 07:32 PM
ok, let's all stop beating around the bush and write what we really feel. :p

Andy Chen
10-27-2014, 08:59 PM
Maybe the OP didn't phrase his views in the kindest possible way, but he is entitled to not like the Mya-Moe sound, or at the very least to be unimpressed by it. It has nothing to do with him expecting to play like Jake with it.

I am as far away from the Jakes of this world can be when it comes to uke-playing skills, and I certainly didn't buy a secondhand Mya-Moe to try to be like him (he plays a custom Kamaka, after all). But I wasn't that impressed with the Mya-Moe, either. It was good, but I guess after reading so much about it here, I was expecting to be blown away. I wasn't.

This also has nothing to do with Gordon, Char and Aaron as people. They seem like wonderful folks.

AndrewKuker
10-27-2014, 10:02 PM
ok, let's all stop beating around the bush and write what we really feel. :p

Not sure what that means Dan, coming after my comment, but I didn't say anything bad about anyone. Jon's been a customer that I've had great conversations with and I believe in him as an artist. If anyone publicly called him a f****** wanker I would stick up for him. Same with you or Stan or the dozens of other people here that I have personal relationships with. That's what friends do for each other.

Which is partially why threads like this get heated. Because some of these people are friends with the folks at Mya Moe. From the feedback on their customer service they're obviously good people trying to run a good business. On one hand it's a forum, a place to share your honest opinion, and on the other hand it's hard for some to not feel like their friends are being unfairly scrutinized.

If you are here because you are researching the brand then here's a summary. Some people love them and some people don't. Big surprise.

Here's a buddy of mine that I recorded a while back playing an original on his May Moe. Give a musician a musical instrument and they'll make music.

http://vimeo.com/79553905

g'est
10-27-2014, 10:20 PM
Here's a buddy of mine that I recorded a while back playing an original on his May Moe. Give a musician a musical instrument and they'll make music.

Great song! And that ukulele sounds sweet!

itsme
10-27-2014, 10:22 PM
But I wasn't that impressed with the Mya-Moe, either. It was good, but I guess after reading so much about it here, I was expecting to be blown away. I wasn't.
I think that's what a lot of people could say about higher-end ukes. Is a $1,000 uke twice as good as a $500 one? Maybe, maybe not. But as the price goes up exponentially, I guess I just can't appreciate a $5,000 uke yet.

Mya-Moe or even a K brand is out of my reach, at least for now. I may never upgrade because I'm pretty happy with what I've got and don't think I really need more. Yeah, and I drive a 15-year-old car, too. :p

If you want to buy a new Beamer or Benz, more power to ya. And enjoy your fancy restaurants, but I'd rather be at home cooking a nice dinner. What I'm saying is, do whatever floats your boat, as long as you're, you know, being politically correct and all that crap these days.

mm stan
10-27-2014, 10:41 PM
Maybe the OP didn't phrase his views in the kindest possible way, but he is entitled to not like the Mya-Moe sound, or at the very least to be unimpressed by it. It has nothing to do with him expecting to play like Jake with it.

I am as far away from the Jakes of this world can be when it comes to uke-playing skills, and I certainly didn't buy a secondhand Mya-Moe to try to be like him (he plays a custom Kamaka, after all). But I wasn't that impressed with the Mya-Moe, either. It was good, but I guess after reading so much about it here, I was expecting to be blown away. I wasn't.

This also has nothing to do with Gordon, Char and Aaron as people. They seem like wonderful folks.
Aloha Andy
You are entitled to like what you want or dont want .... but if you buy a uke and it did not meet your expectations, particially it may be your own fault because you did not do
your homework and research it.. online and you tube there is so much info on ukes...make a good judgement before you buy and do research, we all make
mistakes from inexperience, unfortunately that is how you learn.. find one that pleases your style in sound and looks.. in that order.. specifically dont buy with your eyes
and dont read into the hypes.. if possible play one if you can to see how it feels and plays too.. ask the dealer to play it the phone so you can hear the tone for off the rack ukes and ask questions too... as for customs if you like the sound, you ask the luthier what dementions you want on the neck or elsewhere.. happy Strummings
also buy from a reputable dealer who stands behind their product in sales and service with great setups and reject factory duds.. there are hundred of ukes brands, surely there is one for you

mds725
10-27-2014, 10:45 PM
Len is one of the kindest and most generous people I know. He worked his whole life delivering mail for the post office and saved up enough to have the nice ukes he now owns. He now takes care of his mother full time as she is in and out of the hospital. Hell be the first to treat anyone to lunch even though he lives on a budget. Hes not the fortunate a-hole rich uke snob you think he is. Len is the salt of the earth and he may rub you the wrong way for whatever reason, but hes just sharing his experience and opinion like everyone else here. I have no problem with you saying whatever you feel like Jon. But I know this man, and I feel the need to speak up for him, not because I know him, but because you're wrong.

Having chatted with Len from time to time and having met him, I have to agree with Andrew. Len is one of the biggest-hearted people I have met.

Andy Chen
10-27-2014, 11:42 PM
Stan: In the case of Mya-Moe, playing one before ordering one is obviously not possible unless you know someone who owns it.

mm stan
10-28-2014, 12:14 AM
Stan: In the case of Mya-Moe, playing one before ordering one is obviously not possible unless you know someone who owns it.

Aloha Andy,
my response Was not directed generally to you...it was a general statement and response to all to inform ... if you could try one, it would be better..
but there are lots of videos on Mya Moes and other ukes information online.. choose wisely and be be careful is all I say in purchasing and dont get excited when selecting..use proper judgement and take you time selecting as any uke is not cheap....or ask trusted friends or valued ukers with experience..

buddhuu
10-28-2014, 12:18 AM
So what is it? Something in the air at the moment? There have been complaints about some of this thread and some people need to chill out.

Please can we keep discourse polite? If you can't manage polite then can you please just refrain from blatant insults?

Have a nice day.

Dan Uke
10-28-2014, 04:12 AM
Not sure what that means Dan, coming after my comment, but I didn't say anything bad about anyone. Jon's been a customer that I've had great conversations with and I believe in him as an artist. If anyone publicly called him a f****** wanker I would stick up for him. Same with you or Stan or the dozens of other people here that I have personal relationships with. That's what friends do for each other.

Exactly!!!! I like how everyone is trying to tell both sides of the story and trying to keep it real. Again, you know Len the best so it's appropriate that you should stick up for him and you know Jon too. I thought that was cool and I just put it after your comment cuz you the real deal...adds credibility to the whole thread...in no way was it a slight or back handed compliment to your comment!!

As for the discussion about MM, I thought the naysayers were being civil but like in many cases, when you know someone or have an instrument of theirs, it's cool that they stick up for them.

Rick Turner
10-28-2014, 05:31 AM
Once you get past about $1,300.00 for a luthier or boutique factory made uke, you're pretty much paying for aesthetic features and finish. Any of us can build you a plain-Jane, unbound uke with a satin finish out of the best wood in the world (and that is subjective, too!) with decent tuners and build at our highest level of craftsmanship for that amount. So is a decorated uke "better"? Or is it like a piece of functional jewelry like a Rolex watch or a Mt. Blanc fountain pen that you just happen to like?

There is here, as with so many threads on the UU, a kind of anti-higher end uke rumbling. Maybe it's because there are so many inexpensive, mostly Chinese-made ukes that are pretty OK instruments. Maybe it's because a lot of folks resent others who have the disposable income to buy ukes in the range of $1,500.00 and up, and that give rise to a kind of "sour grapes" sentiment. I also frequent "the Banjo Hangout" where this kind of feeling is utterly absent. Folks over there are happy to read about $5,000.00 and up banjos...and a lot of the dedicated amateur Bluegrass players are using banjos, mandolins, and guitars worth well in excess of $10,000.00. So I find it interesting that there are discussions like this here; it's a sociological oddity, to be sure.

Another issue that I'd like to bring up is that those of us in the continental US and the Hawaiian Islands who build ukes or who have boutique uke making companies here are paying US rents, US insurance, US Worker's Comp, US insurance, and US wages to our staff...if not to ourselves. Our basic costs are higher, and that has to be reflected in our prices. Then there is the issue of the scale of our operations. Wood like koa, myrtle, walnut, etc. for tops and backs is at a certain price whether I buy one set or ten sets. For me, and a lot of my fellow small shop builders, costs on materials can't get significantly better unless we're buying a hundred sets or more. For my guitar making operation, the way I got around this at one point was to buy a $14,000.00 band resaw so I could buy large billets of wood and saw for tops, backs, and sides myself. I made payments on that machine for three years during which my costs didn't go down...the wood plus saw payments = what I'd been paying for pre-cut wood; now I own the machine and it's a great deal, but I had to make that commitment to the investment.

Ukes over about a grand are a luxury purchase. So what? Some of you should get over it; get over the fact that many folks like to have not only good instruments in terms of objective quality (if there is such!), but also have ukes that are works of art.

Mya-Moe ukes are certainly works of art.

kypfer
10-28-2014, 05:54 AM
Mya-Moe ukes are certainly works of art. ... mmm :) pretty!

My J200-clone guitar was bought because I liked the look of it ... it just happens to play just about as well as any other guitar I've tried :cool:

I never found the "basic traditional baroque" recorder attractive, with all it's fancy turning and bulges, irrespective of how good it sounded. Then I found the older Moeck range of Tuju recorders ... style and tone :)

Yup, if I'm going to pay "over the odds" for an instrument, it's gotta look good as well as play well :)

katysax
10-28-2014, 06:50 AM
Once you get past about $1,300.00 for a luthier or boutique factory made uke, you're pretty much paying for aesthetic features and finish.
Ukes over about a grand are a luxury purchase. So what? Some of you should get over it; get over the fact that many folks like to have not only good instruments in terms of objective quality (if there is such!), but also have ukes that are works of art.

Exactly. I have friends that would happy spend over $20,000 for a work of art to put on the wall who will say to me quizzically "You spent $2000 (or more) on a ukulele - HUH?" Well a uke is a work of art that I can interact with, hold in my hand, feel the vibration. Hear the sound. Look, feel, touch, hear. The experience of playing a good uke (or any good instrument if you can play it) is aesthetically very pleasing. Some people say to me a painting is an "investment", well I think not. Just like with ukes you don't know what artist will be valued in the future. The main reason I like boutique ukes is that I feel that they give me a connection with the builder.

stevepetergal
10-28-2014, 08:37 AM
After reading this entire thread, I think a moderator should delete every post except those from Rick Turner. (even mine) (especially mine) Could he be more right?

Phuufme
10-28-2014, 08:54 AM
I sure have had fun reading this thread, the give and take and back and forth. IMHO there is a place for all types of instruments. And also IMHO the more people playing ukes (guitars, bangoes, etc.) the better of we are as a society. So, play on, dudes.

coolkayaker1
10-28-2014, 09:01 AM
Once you get past about $1,300.00 for a luthier or boutique factory made uke, you're pretty much paying for aesthetic features and finish.

True, Rick. Very good point.

Aesthetics are costly--for instance a poisonous lizard, wrapping around the sound hole and up the fretboard, hand-inlayed from rare stones, cut glass and abalone; the ukes that not only look as spectacular as an imported oriental, black-lacquered dining room hutch, but that sound spectacular when the ears are joined with the eyes to take in the entirety of the experience. One look and it's a given the thing will sound heavenly.

In addition, price can also be higher for collectible ukuleles. Those Iz model Martin tenor commemoratives, for instance, may one day be worth a gazillion dollars. Maybe more.

gyosh
10-28-2014, 09:19 AM
Having chatted with Len from time to time and having met him, I have to agree with Andrew. Len is one of the biggest-hearted people I have met.

Len a uke snob?

Nope.

Great guy. A uke fanatic. And very appreciative of the instruments he has and the friendships he maintains.

mds725 has it right. Len is one of the good ones!

stevejfc
10-28-2014, 12:45 PM
Once you get past about $1,300.00 for a luthier or boutique factory made uke, you're pretty much paying for aesthetic features and finish. Any of us can build you a plain-Jane, unbound uke with a satin finish out of the best wood in the world (and that is subjective, too!) with decent tuners and build at our highest level of craftsmanship for that amount. So is a decorated uke "better"? Or is it like a piece of functional jewelry like a Rolex watch or a Mt. Blanc fountain pen that you just happen to like?

There is here, as with so many threads on the UU, a kind of anti-higher end uke rumbling. Maybe it's because there are so many inexpensive, mostly Chinese-made ukes that are pretty OK instruments. Maybe it's because a lot of folks resent others who have the disposable income to buy ukes in the range of $1,500.00 and up, and that give rise to a kind of "sour grapes" sentiment. I also frequent "the Banjo Hangout" where this kind of feeling is utterly absent. Folks over there are happy to read about $5,000.00 and up banjos...and a lot of the dedicated amateur Bluegrass players are using banjos, mandolins, and guitars worth well in excess of $10,000.00. So I find it interesting that there are discussions like this here; it's a sociological oddity, to be sure.

Another issue that I'd like to bring up is that those of us in the continental US and the Hawaiian Islands who build ukes or who have boutique uke making companies here are paying US rents, US insurance, US Worker's Comp, US insurance, and US wages to our staff...if not to ourselves. Our basic costs are higher, and that has to be reflected in our prices. Then there is the issue of the scale of our operations. Wood like koa, myrtle, walnut, etc. for tops and backs is at a certain price whether I buy one set or ten sets. For me, and a lot of my fellow small shop builders, costs on materials can't get significantly better unless we're buying a hundred sets or more. For my guitar making operation, the way I got around this at one point was to buy a $14,000.00 band resaw so I could buy large billets of wood and saw for tops, backs, and sides myself. I made payments on that machine for three years during which my costs didn't go down...the wood plus saw payments = what I'd been paying for pre-cut wood; now I own the machine and it's a great deal, but I had to make that commitment to the investment.

Mya-Moe ukes are certainly works of art.
Right on, Rick. MM's are a work of art and a high quality musical instrument...................as are Compass Rose ukes by the way.

rustysmith3
10-28-2014, 03:26 PM

I've spent nearly 5 decades in the the bluegrass/acoustic world. I have been fortunate that over the years I was able to play 6 figure Lloyd Loar mandolins and pre-war Martins. Those who allowed me to play them were proud to share them but never stuck up about having nice instruments. I didn't have big bucks and carry around anything others would want to try. Most barely new me, a few are friends and a few are dealers. Guess I was lucky to run across some really nice players. Maybe starting young with some grey hairs that keep increasing with age made me seem trustworthy with their instruments. :) I got serious with the Uke a few years ago because of some physical problems limiting my guitar playing. Those are now a thing of the past but the Uke continues to be a pleasure to pick. I've been in many forums over the years and seen the necessity of flame retardant suits. I must say that what I've observed here is somewhat unexpected. The best thing I can do is take a break and check in at a later date and see how things are going. Wishing you all well.

gyosh
10-28-2014, 06:07 PM
I am very sorry for my earlier post. I cannot justify it but to say it was an outworking of latent anger and frustration about many things in my life, most of which have no relation to Len whatsoever. I feel much regret and now to say to Len (and the wider membership), I unreservedly apologise and hope you will forgive me. I am also going to message Len privately as I believe he may have me on ignore.

Bravo HD.

You don't see many posts like this and I for one appreciate you taking the time to do so.

I hope your troubles turn around soon.

Best wishes,

-Gary

mm stan
10-28-2014, 06:12 PM
Yes I agree that was a good thing to do....I hope Len Responds and forgives you and you both can patch up things
I know you been going through some rough times, hope they improve as well.. take care and Best wishes too MM

mds725
10-28-2014, 08:17 PM
I am very sorry for my earlier post. I cannot justify it but to say it was an outworking of latent anger and frustration about many things in my life, most of which have no relation to Len whatsoever. I feel much regret and now to say to Len (and the wider membership), I unreservedly apologise and hope you will forgive me. I am also going to message Len privately as I believe he may have me on ignore.

I think everyone on UU who has had any dealings with you in any capacity knows that you're a good person with a big heart. We all say things at times that we wish later we hadn't. As someone who's done that several times myself, I find it easy to understand when someone else does it and easy to look beyond it. Thanks for your post.

Rick Turner
10-28-2014, 08:38 PM
This must be the Kumbaya moment...

mds725
10-28-2014, 09:10 PM
This must be the Kumbaya moment...

I'm ready. I'm holding an ukulele and incense is burning. :)

CeeJay
10-28-2014, 10:30 PM

You banned me for far less Jon,:D:rulez::D Now off to the naughty boys corner with a uke and a stick of Blackpool rock and a bottle of chill pills ....forget the pills just take the rock and the uke ....

Cheers

Chris

coolkayaker1
10-28-2014, 10:45 PM
I've always had good luck with

mya

moes

The Big Kahuna
10-28-2014, 11:01 PM
I've always had good luck with

mya

moes

Failed attempt at a Haiku, or typing on an iPhone?

coolkayaker1
10-29-2014, 02:32 AM
Failed attempt at a Haiku, or typing on an iPhone?

LOL. Actually, nervous fingers after seeing your abscess photo. Ouch! Looks like George (the dog, not VegasGeorge) took a swipe at you. Heal up, friend.

Ukulele Eddie
10-29-2014, 05:48 AM
Here, let's put a smile one everyone's face and a happy thought in everyone's head. Here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bh-OFiB6L9s) is Zee Avi playing a Mya Moe. If you're still grumpy after hearing her sing, you're incurable. ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bh-OFiB6L9s

CeeJay
10-29-2014, 07:00 AM
Here, let's put a smile one everyone's face and a happy thought in everyone's head. Here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bh-OFiB6L9s) is Zee Avi playing a Mya Moe. If you're still grumpy after hearing hear sing, you're incurable. ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bh-OFiB6L9s

Right ...20 seconds in ..abort ....I am obviously a terminal curmudgeon :mad:......or at least don't like too much saccharine.......:p

lol

kypfer
10-29-2014, 01:52 PM
Ukulele Eddie wrote:
Here, let's put a smile one everyone's face and a happy thought in everyone's head. Here is Zee Avi playing a Mya Moe. If you're still grumpy after hearing her sing, you're incurable. ;-)I'm with Ceejay on this ... sorry, not my cup of tea.

Way back when ... I was taught that "movie cameras" didn't have to move, only the subject. When was it that tripods became so unfashionable ... I started to feel sea-sick just trying to watch that video, irrespective of the audio content :mad:

Rick Turner
10-29-2014, 02:06 PM
I think the new term is "twee". Kind of like the Kate Micucci stuff. At least Kate swears like a sailor... But way too twee... Narcissistically too cute for words.

strumsilly
10-29-2014, 02:31 PM
I was a marketing major and there is a term for what may be partially at play here. Post-purchase dissonance. and the higher the cost to you , the worse it can hit you. You buy that dream car [or uke] , waiting, saving, hoping. etc, when it arrives or you take it home you start second guessing yourself. It happens to all of us. or did somebody already say that? this is a long thread!
Ashia quote"

Post purchase dissonance is basically an after purchase cognitive behavior. While evaluating the benefits after a purchase it is common for customers to be concerned about their purchase decision. It is caused by cognitive dissonance. Here the customer thinks that if he had purchased some other item it would have been better than the one he bought. Simply he is not completely satisfied with the purchase and is most likely to switch brands

coolkayaker1
10-29-2014, 02:51 PM
I had post-purchase dissonance after I married my first wife.

CeeJay
10-29-2014, 02:57 PM

I just got the dissonance...still do ....still on the first ....

itsme
10-29-2014, 03:35 PM
The ukulele is a musical instrument, you buy it to play music. It really does not matter if it is custom or production, what matters is the music and the people you share the music with. Most people really never need more than a $300 uke as a workhorse to play the music...
Pretty much true, and no one needs a dozen ukes, right? :o I might extend the price of a workhorse just a little. For $400 you can get a Pono, Mainland is also a top choice in my book. If I had to stick with <$300 I would investigate the offerings from Kala and Ohana.

If you have a doubting spouse, prove it is a good purchase with a proper serenade, and buy your spouse a big treat to celebrate, something that costs as much as the uke, not just an ice cream.
This I just can't get on board with. You don't need to bribe your spouse by buying them a "treat." But definitely prove to them it's a good purchase by playing it often. :)

My husband spent a lot on paintball stuff, a mountain bike, a home theater system, etc. I bought a uke here and there. We supported each other's interests.

gyosh
10-29-2014, 03:37 PM

You bought your wife?

You should've went with the nicely figured top and more bling! :)

Andy Chen
10-29-2014, 03:44 PM
So it's okay to talk about women as property but not okay to talk about ukes in derogatory manner?

Please take this with a pinch of salt...

coolkayaker1
10-29-2014, 03:51 PM
You should've went with the nicely figured top and more bling! :)

Excellent point. Your above suggestions, coupled with a narrow waist, a generous lower bout, and a willingness to don a low G string, a tight binding, and an end-plug that could handle a good strap might have made a difference.

(PS AC, who said we're talking about a woman? ;))

strumsilly
10-29-2014, 04:33 PM
you guys [and gals] crack me up

Ukulele Eddie
10-29-2014, 04:55 PM
you guys [and gals] crack me up

Ditto that.

Patrick Madsen
10-29-2014, 07:15 PM
God Blessed you Jon and we are blessed by you. Stay strong and let the music take the pain and sorrow.

Tigeralum2001
10-29-2014, 07:16 PM
Excellent point. Your above suggestions, coupled with a narrow waist, a generous lower bout, and a willingness to don a low G string, a tight binding, and an end-plug that could handle a good strap might have made a difference.

(PS AC, who said we're talking about a woman? ;))
Where is the like button? Good wordplay, sir!

pulelehua
10-29-2014, 11:22 PM
I think when you pay over, say, $1000, for a ukulele, you have to understand that it is NOT going to be arithmetically that much better than, say, a $600 ukulele. There comes a point where the differences in build quality are pretty subtle. There is only so much volume/bass/brightness/etc that a builder can get out of what is a fairly small air pump.

It's like buying a $750 bottle of wine. It is not 15 times better than a $50 bottle of wine. It is probably better, but not THAT much better. Probably not even close.

I have a 600 custom MP, and a 1000 Mya-Moe. I wouldn't say the Mya-Moe is better. It is different. That difference cost more. They are both worlds better than the 200 Kala I used to own.

Incidentally, I have found for myself that having a 2 ukulele rule has kept things in perspective. I got my Mya-Moe, and gave away my Kala. If I get another ukulele, I will then give away either my Mya-Moe or my Mike Pereira. As you can imagine, I am in no hurry to get another ukulele.

The grass may SEEM greener, but you will likely get a lot more joy finding how your particular, high-end instrument likes being played. My Mya-Moe, for instance, has a wonderful dynamic range. I can really lay into it, and there is a difference. The MP has wider string spacing, so is good for fiddly finger-picking, but can be tricky for tremolo strumming. The MP also has a darker sound.

My 2p...

The Big Kahuna
10-29-2014, 11:45 PM
a fairly small air pump

You, sir, have just won teh internets.

g'est
10-30-2014, 12:47 AM
Incidentally, I have found for myself that having a 2 ukulele rule has kept things in perspective. I got my Mya-Moe, and gave away my Kala. If I get another ukulele, I will then give away either my Mya-Moe or my Mike Pereira. As you can imagine, I am in no hurry to get another ukulele.

That's a great rule! I have the same rule...except it's a 3 ukulele rule. :) That way I can have a soprano, a concert and a tenor. I must say, I like your 2 ukulele rule better because then each instrument gets enough playing time, but I'm not sure which size I'd be willing to give up. :D

DownUpDave
10-30-2014, 02:17 AM
That's a great rule! I have the same rule...except it's a 3 ukulele rule. :) That way I can have a soprano, a concert and a tenor. I must say, I like your 2 ukulele rule better because then each instrument gets enough playing time, but I'm not sure which size I'd be willing to give up. :D

I like the two uke rule as well. Two of every size and two of every make I am really interested in. Simple rule because I like even numbers.

As for Mya Moe I would also like two of those.

tangimango
10-30-2014, 02:54 AM
Honestly give your mya moe some time. Right now you think its not as good as.you thought but I wouldnt be surprised later after comparing and playing other ukuleles realize that it indeed was a good ukulele.. it happens, for reals. Something you think is junk has the possibility of being your favorite treasure, in a matter of time.

Stevelele
10-30-2014, 04:11 AM
I had a great Mya Moe that I sold. I rated it a 9.5 at the time. I can still remember exactly how it felt to hold and play it and how it sounded. It was a really great instrument, and there's a part of me that wishes I didn't sell it. The thing about that uke is that it has its own look, feel, sound--really a distinct instrument. I admire that they not only built a great brand (from marketing), but they also created a distinct product that is high quality--absolutely not generic. They really occupy a space by themselves of the semi-custom instrument, making as many as they do. It's a small business run by serious business people who happen to be extremely kind, good people who really care about the quality of what they're doing. In our world of mass production and profits over quality, it's just refreshing to see a business run like this.

Honestly give your mya moe some time. Right now you think its not as good as.you thought but I wouldnt be surprised later after comparing and playing other ukuleles realize that it indeed was a good ukulele.. it happens, for reals. Something you think is junk has the possibility of being your favorite treasure, in a matter of time.

Tigeralum2001
10-30-2014, 08:36 AM
What I don't understand is why the OP (seemingly?) felt the need to create a new ID to post about it. I think it is Ok to have opinions that vary from others... What a boring place to hang out if we are all the same!

So here is my opinion. Mya Moe ukes are constructed well. However, I have been less than impressed with the attention to detail. I have seen purfling that ended in the middle of a top, then the next piece that was supposed to continue the line was not aligned correctly. I have seen dual side fret markets that were uneven by a large margin, I have seen many things like this that are just sloppy. Does it impact playability or tone- no. However, if one is paying ~$1500 or more, one would expect these details to be taken care of. (BTW, these details aren't "if you look at it in the sun at the right angle" these are "how on earth did no one catch this."

I dont know Char or Gordon, I have never talked to them or anything. By all accounts they are great folks, as most Uke people tend to be. I can say that if I were looking to spend my ~1500, I would look elsewhere.

You know what, though. I'm thrilled people like Mya Moe! I would consider a basic with no frills, though, because I have seen too many instances of lack of QA.

There you have it, my opinion on the record. See, that wasn't hard!

Dan Uke
10-30-2014, 08:50 AM
I have seen dual side fret markets that were uneven by a large margin,

Maybe it's hard to put side dots evenly? Here's mine that are a little off but at least the dual ones are straight! hahaha This is not a MM!!

Tigeralum2001
10-30-2014, 08:55 AM
Maybe it's hard to put side dots evenly? Here's mine that are a little off but at least the dual ones are straight! hahaha This is not a MM!!

to be clear, I wasn't suggesting that all of the dots lined up down the neck, but that the 12th feet double marker was noticibly uneven. One dot was almost centered and the next was beneath it significantly.

It doesn't affect playability, but it does make a certain impression.

Dan Uke
10-30-2014, 08:57 AM
to be clear, I wasn't suggesting that all of the dots lined up down the neck, but that the 12th feet double marker was noticibly uneven. One dot was almost centered and the next was beneath it significantly.

It doesn't affect playability, but it does make a certain impression.

It's all good...at least you gave your opinion...better to say it than tell others via PM something different.

itsme
10-30-2014, 09:45 AM
What I don't understand is why the OP (seemingly?) felt the need to create a new ID to post about it.
Huh? The OP has been registered here for over 2-1/2 years. :confused:

stevejfc
10-30-2014, 10:06 AM
I was a marketing major and there is a term for what may be partially at play here. Post-purchase dissonance. and the higher the cost to you , the worse it can hit you. You buy that dream car [or uke] , waiting, saving, hoping. etc, when it arrives or you take it home you start second guessing yourself. It happens to all of us. or did somebody already say that? this is a long thread!
Ashia quote"

Post purchase dissonance is basically an after purchase cognitive behavior. While evaluating the benefits after a purchase it is common for customers to be concerned about their purchase decision. It is caused by cognitive dissonance. Here the customer thinks that if he had purchased some other item it would have been better than the one he bought. Simply he is not completely satisfied with the purchase and is most likely to switch brands

It's called buyers remorse in the real estate business

Tigeralum2001
10-30-2014, 10:30 AM
Huh? The OP has been registered here for over 2-1/2 years. :confused:
Fair enough; I did say "seemingly." The OP has 9 posts on UU, 6 of them are in this thread and one made this week. The other 2 posts from 2012. Maybe I am jumping the gun, but it sure seems like a legitimate complaint/concern that a UU regular is afraid to post in their own name. I hope I am wrong- we should feel free to discuss these things in the open.

coolkayaker1
10-30-2014, 12:15 PM
I had a great Mya Moe that I sold. I rated it a 9.5 at the time.

I remember it...a stunner. What gave it the -0.5?

Dan Uke
10-30-2014, 12:41 PM

Crooked dual side dots! :p

Stevelele
10-30-2014, 12:52 PM
It had a really satisfying and round sound, but I think I prefer something a bit more deep and smooth, like my LFDM. But it was very very good and felt great to play.

itsme
10-30-2014, 01:45 PM
Fair enough; I did say "seemingly." The OP has 9 posts on UU, 6 of them are in this thread and one made this week. The other 2 posts from 2012. Maybe I am jumping the gun, but it sure seems like a legitimate complaint/concern that a UU regular is afraid to post in their own name. I hope I am wrong- we should feel free to discuss these things in the open.
Somehow I doubt someone would have registered a second account 2-1/2 years ago to use "just in case" somewhere down the line they didn't want to post under their known nick.

If anything, in that scenario, I think they would have just reg'd a new acct to complain.

Tigeralum2001
10-30-2014, 02:03 PM
Somehow I doubt someone would have registered a second account 2-1/2 years ago to use "just in case" somewhere down the line they didn't want to post under their known nick.

If anything, in that scenario, I think they would have just reg'd a new acct to complain.
So what you're saying is... itsme?! ;)

NewKid
10-31-2014, 02:55 AM
For me, Mya-Moe's recent video series "The Making of a Mya-Moe" (with 100+ videos) clearly demonstrates their commitment to quality and consistency in their building process. If you watch even just a couple of these videos, you see the pains they take to get your instrument right every step of the way.

There is little "mystique" regarding their building process or their commitment to customer satisfaction.

But still the OP was not impressed with the instrument he received and that happens from time to time. The good news is that Mya-Moes are in high demand so it would be easy to sell or trade his instrument and get something he really loves instead.