Ukulele-related dreams/goals?

g'est

Reaction score
I was wondering, how many of you have ukulele related dreams or goals? :)

For example, do you have a skill level you want to get to or maybe a ukulele you have been working towards?

I haven't been playing ukulele for too long yet, but I recently decided that when I finish law school, I'll fly to Hawaii (which is on the other side of the world), go to HMS and try every ukulele they have and buy the one I like the most. :D I expect I'll be spending at least a couple of days in the store! :rolleyes:

I'd love to hear some of your goals/dreams!

Mostly just my ability to play.

I can strum along to most things right now, but I want more than that. I want to be able to move further down the fret, I want to be able to fingerpick, and well, maybe even be able to sing along, that one might be tough. ;)

No desire to be any sort of professional musician, just play stuff I like, and maybe even write a few songs (I've done a few guitar and one uke song... they're pretty awful).

Hey g'est I really like your goal about spending two full days inside HMS. I am going to steal that one for myself.........;)

My goals have been playing related coupled with buying certain ukes when I hit these playing goals. In 6 months of playing I have come much farther than I expected but I do practice and play alot. I have 14 songs memorized that I can sing and play by heart. A present goal is finger picking and I am working on two of those songs in finger picking style. I will be starting lessons, I have it narrowed down to one of two teachers, both of whom I like. I would like to perform more in public, have done that twice already.

As I have hit certain playing levels I have purchased specific ukues that are on my dream list. I have a custom on order which won't be ready till Dec 2015 that will force me to really strengthen my skills to feel like I deserve to own it. That is a good way to keep me practicing and improving as oppossed to spending too much time HERE which I already do :rolleyes:But hey all of this here keeps the passion and excitement burning too.

Last edited:
My goals have been playing related coupled with buying certain ukes when I hit these playing goals. In 6 months of playing I have come much farther than I expected but I do practice and play alot. I have 14 songs memorized that I can sing and play by heart. A present goal is finger picking and I am working on two of those songs in finger picking style.

As I have hit certain playing levels I have purchased specific ukues that are on my dream list. I have a custom on order which won't be ready till Dec 2015 that will force me to really strengthen my skills to feel like I deserve to own it. That is a good way to keep me practicing and improving as oppossed to spending too much time HERE which I already do :rolleyes:But hey all of this here keeps the passion and excitement burning too.

Cool! What's your favorite of the songs you've learned so far? I'm always looking for new song ideas.

Also, which custom are you getting?

To get as many people as possible to play a Ukulele. Get one, play one, do it now. Don't die with the music in you. Come to a Strumfest, join a group, just do it, do it, do it. If you need help just ask anybody here. Let's call it the Uke rebellion. We can talk about it here, the other U does stand for Underground, right? Sssssshhhh.

Last edited:
I have a goal of writing, recording, and producing enough uke-based songs to release an album on Bandcamp - hopefully in 2015.

Step 1: Win the lottery

I'll figure out the details after that . . .

Cool! What's your favorite of the songs you've learned so far? I'm always looking for new song ideas.

Also, which custom are you getting?

I am 57 years old so my song choice has been classic rock type songs. I do have a soft spot for The Beatles and my favourite song at the present is "When I'm 64". Being Canadian I love Neil Young and Gordon Lightfoot so I will be looking at learning some of their songs, hence the need for finger picking. I do love the oldies as well, Five foot Two, Singing in the Rain, Baby Face etc., etc. Just sounds so good on a uke

One of the best sites for songs is "Dr. Uke", contains over 1500 songs. Each one has an audio track of him singing and playing, fully printable song sheets with chords AND a version with chord diagrams. A number of these songs have the baritone version as well.

Last edited:
One of the best site for songs is "Dr. Uke", contains over 1500 songs. Each one has an audio track of him singing and play, fully printable song sheets with chords AND a version with chord diagrams.

Thanks, that's great! :)

And speaking of classic rock, how good is that:

To get as many people as possible to play a Ukulele. Get one, play one, do it now. Don't die with the music in you. Come to a Strumfest, join a group, just do it, do it, do it. If you need help just ask anybody here.

I'm glad to say I share you enthusiasm!

Recording a kids album.

Like Jim, I'd love to write and record an album's worth of songs to put on Bandcamp, Soundcloud etc.

At the moment I'm well known-ish around open mic circles here in Portsmouth. Many people in those circles have friends and contacts around the bigger local music scene here, which is a pretty good one for such a small place. Thoughout the year there's always fairs, mini-festivals, charity gigs at pubs, where local talent provide the tunes. I'd love to be asked to do some of those things, not for exposure, just for more opportunity to play live and also a vindication that playing live at an open mic is slightly different to being asked to play somewhere. This year I had a half-hour set at a charity night in a pub that was vastly disorganised and I ended up going on straight after an hour of free jukebox time. Went as well as you'd expect. Then later in the year I was asked, along with a bunch of other people, to help out last-minute at an acoustic tent at the Portsmouth Summer Fair. I was on towards the end of the day and people had lost interest in that stage by that point. Plus the uke's sound doesn't carry very well outside so I was playing to three people, all of them friends. My ambition is to get a slot on the main 'pedal-powered' stage at that fair next year though. And a few other gigs.

I wish to master the Key of F all the way down the neck. I wish to master the various Formsby Styles. I want to competently accompany my self while singing G&S' "Modern Major General. I wish to place higher than 4th place At Clifftop; playing Ukulele in one of the String band Competitions.

My brother-in-law Paul Slonaker had a Stroke on August 15. The only musical instrument he has ever played is the musical saw. He is just starting to talk again. I want to do a Ukulele duet video with him on the Seasons of the Ukulele. I bought him a Ukulele yesterday.

Like Jim, I'd love to write and record an album's worth of songs to put on Bandcamp, Soundcloud etc.

At the moment I'm well known-ish around open mic circles here in Portsmouth. Many people in those circles have friends and contacts around the bigger local music scene here, which is a pretty good one for such a small place. Thoughout the year there's always fairs, mini-festivals, charity gigs at pubs, where local talent provide the tunes. I'd love to be asked to do some of those things, not for exposure, just for more opportunity to play live and also a vindication that playing live at an open mic is slightly different to being asked to play somewhere. This year I had a half-hour set at a charity night in a pub that was vastly disorganised and I ended up going on straight after an hour of free jukebox time. Went as well as you'd expect. Then later in the year I was asked, along with a bunch of other people, to help out last-minute at an acoustic tent at the Portsmouth Summer Fair. I was on towards the end of the day and people had lost interest in that stage by that point. Plus the uke's sound doesn't carry very well outside so I was playing to three people, all of them friends. My ambition is to get a slot on the main 'pedal-powered' stage at that fair next year though. And a few other gigs.
Have you thought of staring your own group. You get to play whatever you want to play and probably help a lot of other Uke newbies get started as well.

Love to find another old fart that loves ukes and would want to be my "uke buddy." A bit optimistic, but would like to find several and start a regular geriatric string band.

I have an onward and upward approach. Keep playing, keep enjoying, keep learning. I'd love to play finger style well enough to play songs and them sound very nice. I love listening to Kimo Hussey and that style of playing. I'd like to be able to do a bit of that.

I also want to keep the Ukulele Band of Alabama, our little club, going and keep the Alabama Uke Fest going. We are all having a lot of fun. It is a great group of people.

Have you thought of staring your own group. You get to play whatever you want to play and probably help a lot of other Uke newbies get started as well.

There is one already where I live apparently. Never been as the idea of a uke club never really appealed to me. Each to their own though. I'd much rather be in a band at the minute. Either an all-uke band or a bit of a mix, either way.

I'm a new player, but have been playing other instruments for many years. My goal is simply to enjoy myself, and transfer as much of my knowledge over to uke as possible. So far, it's been a blast ---- so intuitive, easy to play, and fun!

I'm astounded by the wealth of information and tabs on the web. I've not seen so many quality PDF files of tabs for ANY other instrument, or the energy and excitement. So glad I joined the Underground!

Top Bottom