How do you navigate the forum

KaraUkey

Reaction score
It's interesting to look and see who's on line. Lots of handles you recognize in various parts of the forum poking around, and always lots more guests than members. It's like a never ending array of tunnels and activity. So I usually start by going to my profile and checking to see if there has been any activity on previous threads I've looked at. Then maybe go to the forum and greet new members, or look at what's new. What do you do? I'll bet everyone has a set routine once they log on. Just wondering.

What's New?

Check for PM's, start at the top and work my way down.

Open the Uke Talk, Seasons, and Luthiers sections in tabs, look for new posts in threads I've read previously, and threads that look interesting, open them in tabs, read, reply, then see if there's anything interesting in other sections once I've finished.

Then I spend the next twenty minutes making sure all the sections I've read in are 'cleared' (faded icon indicating no new posts) on the home page due to forum OCD.

PMs and I hang out on the PoHo thread a lot. But not as much lately because I have been busy.
I am trying to be better about popping into Uke Talk and Uke Beginners cause there are sometimes questions I have a lot of insight on and I like to help!

What's New is where I go. When I first started I was not at all knowledgeable about forums. I used to hit each section one by one. Took hours. Hitting what's new lets me see everything quickly. I never care what section it is. All of them can have good stuff -- or not.

I usually keep to Ukulele Beginners and Uke Talk, but I hope this thread gives me some ideas of new places to explore.

I start at the PoHo thread, then go to What's New. Sometimes I have to check my activity to find where I left off. I don't read every thread, but probably a quarter of them will catch my eye.

Sometimes I'll get frustrated because I don't see anything new. I'll think I should just get off the forum and play my uke. Then I check What's New again instead.

I usually hop right to the "New Posts" link. If I see a notification I panic!

In a generally descending order of priority.
I have my settings rigged to notify me of all PMs.
I normally leave the window open on this and any other community I am currently interested in. This allows me to check new posts as I pass by in my daily activities.
I check introductions and scan for low posts counts in hopes of finding Ukers close to home. This is frequently followed by member profile checks.
I scan who's online right now (there are a couple ways to do this). This allows me to direct specific questions or continue conversations in a cost,(time), effective manner.
I per-ruse boards of particular interest. Luthiers corner, Songs, Singing, SOTU, Beginners all hold interest.
Research; whether uke oriented or seeking info for folks from other communities.

Oh I use the visitors messaging system more and more for short, quick communications

Last edited:
I use "what's new" exclusively. I love to listen to the videos in SOTU and usually listen to them all.

I don't have a routine or any tricks. I just get on the forum and go from there.

Serious question: What's the difference between What's New and New Posts (other than the fact that I have to put on my glasses to see the latter)? Anyone?
I'd never even noticed it before, right there next to a few other things I've not noticed before (like the calendar). It appears to be the same as What's New?

Last edited:
I suspect that all the links in the red band were set up by the webmaster before he, (Rayan?), realized that vBulletin included the New Posts feature as part of their standard webpage features. You notice all of the white band links are generic for any community type web site. The red band links are UU specific other than "What?s New"? The "What's New?" link is about the only one that uses punctuation. Now I wouldn't accuse any member of the UU community of being overenthusiastic about anything but I have been known to start playing with a new toy without reading the instructions or even having a clue as to the proper way to do it.

I go directly to Uke Talk, then check the marketplace. What's PoHo?

Top Bottom