PDA

View Full Version : How do you navigate the forum

KaraUkey
10-28-2014, 02:15 AM
It's interesting to look and see who's on line. Lots of handles you recognize in various parts of the forum poking around, and always lots more guests than members. It's like a never ending array of tunnels and activity. So I usually start by going to my profile and checking to see if there has been any activity on previous threads I've looked at. Then maybe go to the forum and greet new members, or look at what's new. What do you do? I'll bet everyone has a set routine once they log on. Just wondering.

coolkayaker1
10-28-2014, 02:16 AM
What's New?

PhilUSAFRet
10-28-2014, 02:19 AM
Check for PM's, start at the top and work my way down.

RAB11
10-28-2014, 02:50 AM
Open the Uke Talk, Seasons, and Luthiers sections in tabs, look for new posts in threads I've read previously, and threads that look interesting, open them in tabs, read, reply, then see if there's anything interesting in other sections once I've finished.

Then I spend the next twenty minutes making sure all the sections I've read in are 'cleared' (faded icon indicating no new posts) on the home page due to forum OCD.

mm stan
10-28-2014, 02:53 AM
Pm first, then click new posts and activity
Then marketplace and word games

Mim
10-28-2014, 03:10 AM
PMs and I hang out on the PoHo thread a lot. But not as much lately because I have been busy.
I am trying to be better about popping into Uke Talk and Uke Beginners cause there are sometimes questions I have a lot of insight on and I like to help!

Phuufme
10-28-2014, 03:11 AM
What's New?

Exactly what I do.

sukie
10-28-2014, 03:14 AM
What's New is where I go. When I first started I was not at all knowledgeable about forums. I used to hit each section one by one. Took hours. Hitting what's new lets me see everything quickly. I never care what section it is. All of them can have good stuff -- or not.

Ukejenny
10-28-2014, 03:26 AM
I usually keep to Ukulele Beginners and Uke Talk, but I hope this thread gives me some ideas of new places to explore.

PereBourik
10-28-2014, 04:35 AM
I start at the PoHo thread, then go to What's New. Sometimes I have to check my activity to find where I left off. I don't read every thread, but probably a quarter of them will catch my eye.

Sometimes I'll get frustrated because I don't see anything new. I'll think I should just get off the forum and play my uke. Then I check What's New again instead.

JooKulele
10-28-2014, 05:55 AM
I usually hop right to the "New Posts" link. If I see a notification I panic!

IamNoMan
10-28-2014, 06:26 AM
In a generally descending order of priority.
I have my settings rigged to notify me of all PMs.
I normally leave the window open on this and any other community I am currently interested in. This allows me to check new posts as I pass by in my daily activities.
I check introductions and scan for low posts counts in hopes of finding Ukers close to home. This is frequently followed by member profile checks.
I scan who's online right now (there are a couple ways to do this). This allows me to direct specific questions or continue conversations in a cost,(time), effective manner.
I per-ruse boards of particular interest. Luthiers corner, Songs, Singing, SOTU, Beginners all hold interest.
Research; whether uke oriented or seeking info for folks from other communities.

Oh I use the visitors messaging system more and more for short, quick communications

Mxyzptik
10-28-2014, 02:30 PM
I use "what's new" exclusively. I love to listen to the videos in SOTU and usually listen to them all.

haole
10-29-2014, 01:50 AM
Lately, with one hand on my forehead and a pained look on my face.

Rllink
10-29-2014, 02:30 AM
I don't have a routine or any tricks. I just get on the forum and go from there.

coolkayaker1
10-29-2014, 02:34 AM
I usually hop right to the "New Posts" link. If I see a notification I panic!

Serious question: What's the difference between What's New and New Posts (other than the fact that I have to put on my glasses to see the latter)? Anyone?

sukie
10-29-2014, 02:36 AM
Serious question: What's the difference between What's New and New Posts (other than the fact that I have to put on my glasses to see the latter)? Anyone?

I've wondered that myself. I don't see one.

KaraUkey
10-29-2014, 02:45 AM
I'd never even noticed it before, right there next to a few other things I've not noticed before (like the calendar). It appears to be the same as What's New?

IamNoMan
10-29-2014, 03:16 AM
I suspect that all the links in the red band were set up by the webmaster before he, (Rayan?), realized that vBulletin included the New Posts feature as part of their standard webpage features. You notice all of the white band links are generic for any community type web site. The red band links are UU specific other than "What?s New"? The "What's New?" link is about the only one that uses punctuation. Now I wouldn't accuse any member of the UU community of being overenthusiastic about anything but I have been known to start playing with a new toy without reading the instructions or even having a clue as to the proper way to do it.

UkerDanno
10-29-2014, 03:49 AM
I go directly to Uke Talk, then check the marketplace. What's PoHo?

coolkayaker1
10-29-2014, 04:33 AM
Whats New versus New Posts: Thanks for the answers, mates. :D

kohanmike
10-29-2014, 07:00 AM
I never noticed the "What's New" link but I'll be using it from now on. I always start with Uke Talk, then browse others once in a while.

(coolkayaker1, sorry I posted my gypsy jazz uke on the for sale thread, my mistake. I wanted to delete my post, but the thread is closed. Won't do that again.)

sukie
10-29-2014, 07:37 AM
I go directly to Uke Talk, then check the marketplace. What's PoHo?

A PoHo is a person that posts in the Ahnko Honu leaderboard thread.

Heres a clue -- if you see somebody with a huge amount of posts they probably live there. It is a 5 year old thread. There are just many chapters to it.

Nice people. Just chatty. People come and go. New people are always welcome. I call them "fresh meat" in a loving kinda way. And I don't speak for everybody. The thread makes no sense until you've been there a while. Topics change on a dime.
Contrary to popular belief, this thread is not a clique.
Come join us.

Ukulele Eddie
10-29-2014, 07:57 AM
I've been on here for about a year and generally review Uke Talk, Reviews and Marketplace.

Had not ever heard of the PoHo thread, which I guess is where all the cool kids hang out. Just poked in there and it seems it's sort of like a forum version of Twitter. People posting all sorts of random stuff. Am I wrong? Maybe I just don't get it which is why the secret decoder ring was never offered! ;-)

sukie
10-29-2014, 09:05 AM
I've been on here for about a year and generally review Uke Talk, Reviews and Marketplace.

Had not ever heard of the PoHo thread, which I guess is where all the cool kids hang out. Just poked in there and it seems it's sort of like a forum version of Twitter. People posting all sorts of random stuff. Am I wrong? Maybe I just don't get it which is why the secret decoder ring was never offered! ;-)

Not as random as you'd think. But, yeah. I didn't get the secret decoder ring either. :-(

IamNoMan
10-29-2014, 09:13 AM
Whenever I try to post an attachment or open an attachment I get thrown into an error message pop-up. How does one post or open attachments properly?

Inksplosive AL
10-29-2014, 10:28 AM
There was a crash of sorts a month or so ago all the old links to pictures are dead. Sucks that is all lost.

I have no issue loading new pictures but I must switch to the basic uploader to do so.

~AL

coolkayaker1
10-29-2014, 10:41 AM
(coolkayaker1, sorry I posted my gypsy jazz uke on the for sale thread, my mistake. I wanted to delete my post, but the thread is closed. Won't do that again.)

Sorry, too, that I was overly emphatic about the whole thing. Over the top. You meant no ill will, I know. Sorry, KM.

IamNoMan
10-29-2014, 11:50 AM
There was a crash of sorts a month or so ago all the old links to pictures are dead. Sucks that is all lost.

I have no issue loading new pictures but I must switch to the basic uploader to do so.

~ALThanks. Where or how do I access the basic uploader?

Inksplosive AL
10-29-2014, 12:13 PM
Thanks. Where or how do I access the basic uploader?

Bottom right corner of the uploader popup.

Chopped Liver
10-29-2014, 12:50 PM
A PoHo is a person that posts in the Ahnko Honu leaderboard thread.

Heres a clue -- if you see somebody with a huge amount of posts they probably live there. It is a 5 year old thread. There are just many chapters to it.

Nice people. Just chatty. People come and go. New people are always welcome. I call them "fresh meat" in a loving kinda way. And I don't speak for everybody. The thread makes no sense until you've been there a while. Topics change on a dime.
Contrary to popular belief, this thread is not a clique.
Come join us.

So, I'm fresh meat?! I thought you liked me!! :D

Chopped Liver
10-29-2014, 12:52 PM
I click New Posts and visit the PoHo thread first.

I am always disappointed when there are no new posts :(

sukie
10-29-2014, 01:13 PM
So, I'm fresh meat?! I thought you liked me!! :D

.....in a loving kinda way....

Did you read that part? Of course I like you.

saiyr
10-29-2014, 01:26 PM

~AL

I've been wondering that for soooo long. It really does suck. I thought they just expired or something!

KaraUkey
10-29-2014, 05:30 PM

~AL Great, I couldn't figure out why attachments wouldn't open. That explains that. Good to know.

kohanmike
10-29-2014, 05:43 PM
Sorry, too, that I was overly emphatic about the whole thing. Over the top. You meant no ill will, I know. Sorry, KM.

Thanks very much KM.

KaraUkey
10-30-2014, 12:18 AM
This is the first public forum, of this sort that I've ever actually participated in. Maybe someone can throw some light on how the "friend" thing works.

Update: My Facebook savy daughter has explained all. Pretty obvious really I guess. Lol