Custom Tenor

studemobile

Reaction score
Hello All,
I am thinking about obtaining a Tenor Uke that is not in current production. I want a normal scale, simple (no rosette or binding) solid wood tenor that has the fingerboard stopping at the 14th fret leaving the remaining soundboard clear for strumming and picking. The closest Uke to this is the Bruko No 9 tenor with 12 frets.
I suppose such a uke would be quite expensive to make. Possible someone could use a StewMac kit?
Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Garrett

Compass Rose ukes have cantilevered fretboards that do not touch the soundboard. Rick offers it in both a 12 or 14 fret to the body model. The uke in my avatar is a 14 fret model.

Hello All,
I am thinking about obtaining a Tenor Uke that is not in current production. I want a normal scale, simple (no rosette or binding) solid wood tenor that has the fingerboard stopping at the 14th fret leaving the remaining soundboard clear for strumming and picking. The closest Uke to this is the Bruko No 9 tenor with 12 frets.
I suppose such a uke would be quite expensive to make. Possible someone could use a StewMac kit?
Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Garrett

I would suggest asking in Uke Talk.

While Allen is right that anyone could build it as a one off, I'm inclined to say most here in the Lounge would give the job to someone else because of the requirements of the build.

I'm still trying to get past the cutoff fretboard, not only because you want it done, but for the stated reason.

Get a production uke you like with 14 fret neck. Have the bottom part of the fretboard cut/milled down.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but to my understanding, the request was for a 17" scale length tenor, with perhaps 12 frets to body, and 14 frets total. With the rest of the upper bout clear of fret board. This sounds much like a Martin Soprano design. Just don't see it often on a tenor.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but to my understanding, the request was for a 17" scale length tenor, with perhaps 12 frets to body, and 14 frets total. With the rest of the upper bout clear of fret board. This sounds much like a Martin Soprano design. Just don't see it often on a tenor.

And I should've looked at a Bruko #9. Looks like a 12.5 fret join at the neck with 12 frets total. You're right, reminds me of some old Standard instruments that had the frets right in the neck.

Bryan Tolentino told me a while ago, "You paid for the fretboard, use it." I guess in this case that wouldn't apply.

I took it a little different, "like" a Bruko #9 and the "rest of the soundboard" meaning a 14 fret join.

Still trying to wrap my head around why you would need that for "strumming and picking". Oh well, just speculation for the OP at this point.

Last edited:
The particular strumming style that would be used with such a Uke is similar to Carter picking. I am using my thumb to alternate the g and c strings and strumming with the index finger. (low g). This is usually done on a guitar with a pick. The sweet spot on the guitar is moe or less in front of the sound hole but not over the fingerboard. On the Uke I find the sweet spot is between fret 14 - 19 so I thought why not experiment with providing this area without the fingerboard.
Thanks for all feedback
Garrett

He actually wants a tenor that connects at the 14th fret and the freboard stops at the14th just like the bruko but since brukos connect at the 12th , so he wants someone to use a stewmac kit and build it since its low cost. I think that's what I got out of it from the OP.

another way is to slope/cut the fingerboard away so the fingers cant hit the bass side of the fingerboard- chuck moore and eric devine do this most often

Unless it was desired to go for a particular look (and the Bruko #9 is quite nice looking...) you could opt for a "scooped fret board" as often seen on open back banjos. It would involve leaving the remainder of the board up to the soundhole, but scooping it so the thickness was reduced by approximately half. No frets, just a thinner section of board to preserve the overall balanced appearance of the instrument. Anyone doing a custom build could easily do it.

Top Bottom