James Hill's New Lessons

Kimosabe

Reaction score
Quick Review:

Definitely worth the money. I'm getting a lot out of it and I'm an intermediate player who can play Mark Nelson's finger-picking pieces, and even David Beckingham's Stardust arrangement. I can follow most jazz charts but I'm definitely learning from Hill's lessons.

I started at the beginning and that was good review and I learned some things. It eventually teaches you how to harmonize melodies, how to fill out melodies with chords and by placing notes in spaces. It ain't kid stuff; but it is for talented serious kids, and serious adults. Teaches a lot. I highly recommend it.

$9 bucks a month! I work at it everyday. A good player once offered me an hour's lesson for $100 and people told me he was a great player but a bad teacher.

James is a great teacher. He makes you really work in places as a good teacher should.

Last edited:
Are his lessons based around tabs, notation or both? I looked at the lesson intro but it seemed like i had to be pretty good at reading music notation before i started, is that impression correct?

Thanks, Bill

Very good info from someone who knows. Thanks for sharing.

Hey Kimosabe ... thanks for the review.

I have paid for the year UU plan, and will keep doing so ... however I suspect due to James Hill's manner, skill, expertise and educational background that his course is very methodical and full of detail.

I am IN ... SIGN ME UP!

Are his lessons based around tabs, notation or both? I looked at the lesson intro but it seemed like i had to be pretty good at reading music notation before i started, is that impression correct?

Thanks, Bill

Pretty much reading music with some guidance tab for chords and rolling. Covers the notes at a slower pace, so you will learn. I love it.

As it gets harder Hill starts throwing in tabs.

A few years ago I taught myself to read in a few weeks by learning with Curt Sheller's reading book, which is an excellent book to use and inexpensive.
I love being able to pick up a fake book and play a song's melody accurately by reading the notation. It also helps in making my own arrangements because I can play the melody and throw in chords where I see fit. Reading also helps me to sing the melody more accurately. Hill teaches how to make one's own arrangements in a more and more sophisticated manner as his lessons progress.

Sheller's book teaches how to read single line not chords, and to tell you the truth I was scared of learning to read more than one note at a time.

Hill's book starts to throw in the notation for basic chords and low and behold I'm learning, slowly but surely.

Top Bottom