Gotoh UPT /UPTL

willisoften

Reaction score
I have a kamaka HF1 (soprano) from 2013

Two questions:
1. Anyone know which size, UPT or UPTL?
2. Will any of the GOTOH buttons fit or are the buttons unique to the tuners?

(I have a few sets of MOP buttons for deluxe gotoh frictions but I can get a good deal on the planetary tuners in Gold and black.)

I don't know about the button question, but the thickness recommendations are listed in the Gotoh catalog. They are accurate, if you follow them you'll be fine.

dt

I don't know about the button question, but the thickness recommendations are listed in the Gotoh catalog. They are accurate, if you follow them you'll be fine.

dt

I don't doubt it, but my uke is sitting in my sisters house 60 miles away so I'd like to order, but don't have the opportunity to measure the headstock thickness.

According to measurements on this thread, you need UPTLs, but someone successfully installed UPTs on a Kamaka soprano.

I have no idea about the buttons.

According to measurements on this thread, you need UPTLs, but someone successfully installed UPTs on a Kamaka soprano.

I have no idea about the buttons.

Nephew drove down this afternoon bringing my ukulele - 12.2 mm

Thanks to all who replied - unfortunately not the answer I was hoping for.

Tuners can be fitted to thicker-than-ideal pegheads by using the proper sized counterbore with the appropriate pilot. They drill flat bottomed holes and are guided by the pilot which should fit the existing hole. Not many luthiers know this trick, but it works just great. Counterbores and interchangeable pilots can be purchased from McMaster-Carr. They're also fantastic for getting really clean through holes by first drilling a pilot hole and then using the counterbore to go just over half way through from each side of a work piece.

Kamaka is very responsive to questions like this over the phone. I'd call them (or stop in the shop in my case).

Top Bottom