Is US$10 reasonable for solo tabs as digital download?

1300cc

Reaction score
What do you think? For 12 songs? prefer fingerpicking

Last edited:
there's lots of free sites out there. Try Scorpexuke.com and Dr. uke.com, kanikalipa.us. But if they have things you want it's not bad.

I'm assuming he's talking about finger style tabs, not chord sheets here, Danno. And if they're interesting arrangements of songs I want to play, I'd find that an easy purchase to make.

For me, I do not care to buy tabs. Supporting an artist is a good Idea and I endorse that. Most artists receive only 2-3 cents on the dollar for these transactions.

I don't know for sure. In the USA the copywright laws have been changed to give artists and their estates "title" for 100 years beyond the life of the performer. There was also some codicil that allowed artists to regain regain sold copyright in some cases. This had a time limit that may already have expired. The old copywright laws were for 28 years and 28 year extension. U.K. copywright laws are different. In China the concept of "intellectual property rights" is so alien to the culture that it really doesn't exist.

For me, I do not care to buy tabs. Supporting an artist is a good Idea and I endorse that. Most artists receive only 2-3 cents on the dollar for these transactions.
dont forget its a digital download, how many do you think a regular download for a day multiply that for 365 days

That was a snarky joke, but all too true. No accusations against you expressed or implied!

I have trouble forgiving a country that allows a totally unauthorized clone factory...with stolen name...of C. F. Martin guitars...among other things.

I think our government's not cracking down on Chinese IP thievery to protect US manufacturers is one of the great failings of our times. And this is not a political rant...both parties are equally guilty of this. I paint them (all of our "representatives" in Washington) all ugly with my brush. It probably has to do with not wanting to disrupt the flow of cheap consumer goods into the US. BTW, if we cracked down in IP piracy the secondary and tertiary effects would probably impact the uke industry quite a bit. Talk about disruptive "technology"!

im not saying to steal, i mean legit artist who sells digital music sheets

Are these original compositions by the artist, or are they compositions by others arranged by the artist? And if the latter, then have the appropriate measures been taken regarding copyright? I realize this varies from country to country, but here in the U.S., the laws are pretty strict.

As far as price goes - I do know of one artist who is legally selling his own original arrangements of songs composed by others, and he's selling these for $2.99 per song.

IamNoMan has a good point about copyright laws. You know, a lot of people who sell chord sheets, tabs, and sheet music often alter the music from the original to skirt them. The same is true about a lot of online sources. The vast majority of the time, you're really just buying someone else's interpretation of music.

As much as I think buying music online is a suckers game, I will say this. Most folks pick certain versions of songs because they either like them in that key, or they're at the right skill level, or it's a version they can sing to, or whatever. Ultimately, I'd say if there are samples of the tabs you're interested in and you like the way they sound... go for it.

1300cc wrote :
Is US$10 reasonable for solo tabs as digital download? What do you think? For 12 songs? prefer fingerpicking
If it's tunes you know and want copies of, I don't see a problem ... it's only pennies per tune after all, but if you're unfamiliar with the music it could be a bit of a punt. For me it'd depend on the length and complexity of the tunes and how well the tabs are written.

I think our government's not cracking down on Chinese IP thievery to protect US manufacturers is one of the great failings of our times. And this is not a political rant...both parties are equally guilty of this. !

true. but mostly democrats :D

Top Bottom