Cracked Lanakai

Ukejw

Reaction score
Just received an order from Zzounds of a Lanakai Monkey Pod SMP-TCA. It is beautiful and sounds great and has stayed in tune quite well for the hours I have had it but there is one problem. It arrived with a long crack under the bridge and a small gouge up by the tuners. I will be calling Zzounds later today. I paid $279 expecting a new un-cracked one and while the crack follows the color lines of the wood and is not super obvious unless looking for it, there should still be some credit given unless I decide to send it back.

The question is how much of a credit should I ask for or should it go back? This is the last of this model they had in inventory.

I know that feeling all too well. My exact same model cracked when I first got it too. I'd say to return it because that crack under the bridge could lead to bridge problems in the future.

Sorry about your Lanikai. Cracks have been a huge problem with this model, especially if it's spent a lot of time in a dry climate.

https://www.google.com/#q=lanikai+monkey+pod+uke+cracked.

Gives you an idea on it's value with damage:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...kai+monkeypod+ukulele+factory+blem&_sacat=619

I've considered one of these ukes, but after viewing the information above, decided not to. I'd want at least $150 back, but that's only because I have an extremely reasonable luthier nearby that I've used in the past and can fix the more minor problems myself.

Last edited:
Send it back for sure!
And they should exchange it no problem.
I would insist you should not have to pay for return shipping since it was a cracked product.
This model is really grainy and it is easy for crack to be missed, but you don't want a crack on a new ukulele.

Send it back! If their customer service is worth anything they will take it back at no cost to you..

Sam Ash has them for $199, jus' sayin'...

Zzounds is taking it back and paying for return shipping

Zzounds is taking it back and paying for return shipping

Are they giving you a refund or asking you to take another of the same model? Just wondering if you are going to try for another monkey pod.

I had the same problem with a blem I bought from Butler Music on eBay a couple of months after I got it, when a low humid spell hit Los Angeles and I didn't quite finish the humid controlled shelf I was building. I ended up gifting it to my cousin's son and bought a myself very nice Kala solid cedar top to replace it (recommended by Mim).

Monkeypod crack.jpg

Top Bottom