Ko'olau & Surprising Pono blues

xyz

Reaction score
I feel blessed to have a Ko'olau CS since 2012. It sounds so good it cured my UAS and made me sell my other ukes (including an awesome & expensive one).

Now about a year and half ago I bought a Pono WTSH Pro Classic from HMS, put Southcoast strings on it and gave the 'Low G' tuning a try. I enjoyed it so much that one year later I give it a similar playing time as my Ko'olau. Both High G / Low G are great tunings to my ears.

The Ko'olau CS is still on its own level regarding playability, quality, finish and sound... but what surprises me every day is how good the Pono sounds. I mean, it already sounded good from the start, but since then, the instrument has opened up a lot.

I was recently able to order another Ko'olau CS to replace my Pono (never though I would be able to). So the equation was simple... the new Ko'olau gets in, the Pono has to go...

... but I don't feel comfortable anymore to let the Pono go... I know I won't have the time to play more than three instruments... with 2 CS & my guitar in the house the Pono is not going to be played anymore. What a shame for a such good uke...

What would you do if you were me ? sell it ? keep it ? Have you ever let go a good instrument, even if the new one is better ?

I can relate to your quandary after having gone on a spree myself in the past 6 months. I also feel that conspicuous consumption, which I feel I have indulged in, is not me and I should sell one or two of my current collection. All of my instrument are fine, unique instruments with their own individual voices and I will find it very difficult to choose what stays and what goes. However, I will be happier with a collection that I perceive is not too large. This 'perception' of what is the right size, only you can make. It will always be a tough decision. Good luck, you will need it.

Tough question. I deal with the same issues, should I sell them because I don't play them much or do I keep them because I like them.

One thought that I like about selling a good uke is that someone else might enjoy it more than myself. It is kinda like spreading the love around. I was fortunate enough to buy a used Pete Howlett koa tenor off Doc J. At the time my only uke was a Gretsch all laminate tenor which was ok but to finally have an all solid high quality instrument at an affordable price was huge to me. I am now thinking of putting it up on the market place but like you I am torn. Good luck with your decision, I have been no help at all :confused:

Last edited:
If the second Ko'olau isn't here yet (sounds like it isn't), I would wait until it arrives and think about it then. You can always sell the Pono.

If possible, I would wait until you receive the new Ko'olau and then decide. That might make it easier to let the Pono go. I understand your quandary. I'm limited to two ukes. Have let go two that I really wish I could've kept as they were so special in sound to my ears (my Covered Bridge Claro Walnut and my MP Ukes Deep body soprano). Both are being enjoyed and loved by other UU'ers.

Good luck deciding...

I feel blessed to have a Ko'olau CS since 2012. It sounds so good it cured my UAS and made me sell my other ukes (including an awesome & expensive one).

Now about a year and half ago I bought a Pono WTSH Pro Classic from HMS, put Southcoast strings on it and gave the 'Low G' tuning a try. I enjoyed it so much that one year later I give it a similar playing time as my Ko'olau. Both High G / Low G are great tunings to my ears.

The Ko'olau CS is still on its own level regarding playability, quality, finish and sound... but what surprises me every day is how good the Pono sounds. I mean, it already sounded good from the start, but since then, the instrument has opened up a lot.

I was recently able to order another Ko'olau CS to replace my Pono (never though I would be able to). So the equation was simple... the new Ko'olau gets in, the Pono has to go...

... but I don't feel comfortable anymore to let the Pono go... I know I won't have the time to play more than three instruments... with 2 CS & my guitar in the house the Pono is not going to be played anymore. What a shame for a such good uke...

What would you do if you were me ? sell it ? keep it ? Have you ever let go a good instrument, even if the new one is better ?

I know how you feel. I feel the same way.

I bought a ETSH5 from HMS and it was my true love. South Coast HML RW on it ... and still is 50% of the time. Needs new strings which will be replaced shortly.

I later bought a used no scratches, spotless ... and remains that way RTSH Cedar top ... and use it to go to uke jams. It has never made it into my heart as it has re-entrant stringing ... will be putting South Coast on it re-entrant with a wound 3rd ...

Recently bought a RTSH Spruce top ... and it is UNBELIEVABLE ... the resonance is so great ... it takes up 50% of my time.

Yup. 3 Pono Pro Classics ... I am sure my Cedar top will be going ... not because it isn't a wonderful instrument ... but I love the other so much.

And I have a custom coming in April 2015 ... so if you are looking to sell keep me in mind ... have been considering a WTSH as well from HMS.

Thank you all for your posts, good advice & feedback here. I'll wait until the new CS arrives to make the decision easier...

Personally, I have never sold any of my instruments. I give them away to deserving friends and family. It makes me feel better about parting with the instrument.

Personally, I have never sold any of my instruments. I give them away to deserving friends and family. It makes me feel better about parting with the instrument.

That is outstanding and I truly applaud your aloha spirit. I have been thinking of doing the same, tried to give my sister a Koaloha Opio concert as she is just staring out. She fell in love with a Pono soprano instead.

You have a comparatively small number. I'd wait until they have all been in rotation, all with new strings and all strings well settled. You also might want one strung with wounds (the Pono) and the others with flouro, I put wounds on my Kanile'a and it totally changed the sound and volume, giving me another option other than reentrant and linear. I have linear LOUD and guitar-ish now, it's moodier.

I have to get all mine out, take a group shot, then play all of them and sort out the keepers. It will be tough but time to downsize from my holy grail uke search adventures.

I think you should give the Pono to an old fire fighter in Chicago.

I faced a similar quandary recently - I had a very lovely soprano that had been custom made for me that I was no longer playing, as I had moved on to concert ukes. I gave myself three months to think it over: if it went unplayed for three months, then up for sale it would go. And it went unplayed, and I sold it, and I haven't had a single regret.

For me it came down to this: letting go was hard, but having an unplayed uke in the house was harder for me. I'm very minimalist by nature and I get really depressed by having things around that aren't useful. So, letting go was the right thing.

I would have the feeling that, if I'm still unsure of what to do and not sure of letting go, then it is not quite time to let it go. The time will probably come. And there is no harm in waiting a bit longer. You will know when the time comes.

If the time never comes, and you end up keeping it, remember that three ukuleles isn't terribly bad. Of course, I'm an instrument junkie and have several wind instruments, and some string instruments besides my three ukuleles. I see instruments as an investment. They are things that will "give back", like a good book or a good album of music.

I see instruments as an investment. They are things that will "give back", like a good book or a good album of music.

I'm with Jenny...if I have the room and still play and enjoy them, I keep them.

You'll know when the time arrives to sell any particular instrument, and for whatever your reasoning may be at that particular time.

Top Bottom