Bruko neck construction question

DazW

Reaction score
Hi everyone, just a quick question about Bruko soprano necks. I'm new to building and am still in the stewmac kit phase. I do intend to get stuck in and build from scratch very soon.
I have a fairly clear idea of how id like my sopranos to look and really like the Bruko necks with frets directly into the neck, no separate fretboard.
Just wanted to ask the pros and cons of this style neck, best way to construct it and best type of neck join to body?
I have some Sapele and Meranti big enough for at least my first few necks. I presumed Id try a dovetail joint and one piece neck but am open to suggestions if anyone can make life easier?
Cheers

Hi everyone, just a quick question about Bruko soprano necks. I'm new to building and am still in the stewmac kit phase. I do intend to get stuck in and build from scratch very soon.
I have a fairly clear idea of how id like my sopranos to look and really like the Bruko necks with frets directly into the neck, no separate fretboard.
Just wanted to ask the pros and cons of this style neck, best way to construct it and best type of neck join to body?
I have some Sapele and Meranti big enough for at least my first few necks. I presumed Id try a dovetail joint and one piece neck but am open to suggestions if anyone can make life easier?
Cheers

Hi dazw! the consecuences of puting the frets directly into the neck, without fingerboard, are that if the neck are not made in hard wood, it is possible to wear it. You may respect the correct thickness of the neck, because the fingerboard also prevents the wood bend. The string action in the bridge zone will be low than with a fingerboard, and you have to make a "nut channel". The best way to do this (putting the frets into the neck) are in my opinion with the wood squared, before any shaping.

The more easy neck joint by hand is slotting the neck block and putting the sides in it. With a router machine, the dovetail.

Hi and thank you for your reply. That makes a lot of sense, I see that Bruko use maple for their necks without fingerboards, but they do put fingerboards on mahogany necks.
I just like that design, the island style sopranos that Ken Timms recently made look fantastic with frets directly into the neck, thats the kind of look I want to achieve. I suppose I'd better re-think my choice of woods for the necks if I pursue this route. Is it the Spanish heel joint you are referring to where the sides are slotted into the neck block?

if you do a dovetail joint you would see it without a fretboard to overhang the top... it might look cool though if it is done nicely, if I tried it would look like hell. you could simply do a bolt on... might be easiest

I believe you are correct, Spanish heel is sides into the neck block.

Thank you for your replies. To be honest I'm having a real wobble today, for the last few weeks I've convinced myself building is for me and have already bought lots of tools. Today I'm having doubts and am wondering if it's a good idea to put any more money into it. I have no space in the house really so was due to be paying £400 for a new shed next week. Was also going to be spending another few hundred on bits from Stewmac.
I seem to keep finding old threads that on the one hand encourage new builders to just give it a go, but also voice a lot of concern and say it's very difficult and you really need to be very 'handy' to do it. I'm a self confessed complete beginner to woodworking, all I have is ideas and hopes at the moment. I do however have time on my hands. Im 35 yrs old and work full time but have most mornings free and most weekends.
Part of me thinks I should just spend my money on a nice new uke, a grand should get something special!
It's a tough decision that i just can't seem to make! :confused:

Last edited:
No decision needed. Go with the building option. You'll never ever be bored and in time you'll be turning out instruments worth a grand anyway
Miguel

No decision needed. Go with the building option. You'll never ever be bored and in time you'll be turning out instruments worth a grand anyway
Miguel

Thanks for the advice Miguel. (Sorry this thread has steered completely off the original subject!)
I inherited a bit of cash recently and have already spent a lot on tools, Lie Nielson and Veritas planes, 3 Pax saws, Japanese chisels....and so on.
My biggest concern was only having hand tools (no room for band saws etc)
but I suppose everyone has to start somewhere and theres only one way to find out if its gona work out.
Cheers again for your comments, I think you have made my decision obvious now

if you do a dovetail joint you would see it without a fretboard to overhang the top... it might look cool though if it is done nicely, if I tried it would look like hell.
You do the dovetail same way as a spanish heel with "the step", and the top covering the dovetail bit...Just fit the top last...Simple :D

You do the dovetail same way as a spanish heel with "the step", and the top covering the dovetail bit...Just fit the top last...Simple :D

I wont pretend I understand that fully, but after having another quick look on your island uke thread I can see what you mean. I have, and will continue to study your posts in great detail Ken. Great advice and the occasional giggle. Cheers

Top Bottom