Thumb strumming-chunking?

misterdub

Reaction score
I've seen several threads that say what finger you strum with is a matter of comfort and preference. I'm way more comfortable strumming with my thumb than my pointer finger. But I can't seem to get that cool chunking noise with my thumb. I can get it with my pointer, loud and clear. I can make a weak chunk when I strum with my thumb but it doesn't sound nearly as pronounced or clear as it does with my pointer.

So, is this just a matter of practice, practice, practice -- or do people who strum with their thumbs still chunk with their pointer finger? Is it a switch-up thing I need to learn? I'm just curious what other "thumb strummers" do for the chunk...

You can use your pointer for chunks, and your thumb for the rest. I use my pointer, middle, ring, and thumb for chunks, so just curl up the other three when you're not chunking. Of course, it would be a little easier to get used to strumming with your pointer, (I use my pointer and middle) so there's less movement, but it's up to you

strumming

Hi guys.sorry to use your thread as a reply..my names stanny and i have played guitar for thirty plus years.ive always fancied learning the ukulele but alway thought of it as a mere misical instrument...HOW WRONG I WAS.anyway one of my idols is Mr George Formby.check him out on youtube.His strumming patterns are out of this world,(i wud of sed awesum but im a bit old..lol)anyway im here just to say that i struggle with these...but i have found a solution that may help some fellow player..as i was strumming down with my index middle finger you have to follow it with you thumb as in triplet strumming but it never sounded right.the problem was my thumb nail was to long and was catching on 1 or 2 strings..so what i did was i got nail clippers and cut my nail on my thumb on the left hand side so that the flesh of my thumb protrudes the nail and hits the string first(cut it on the right hand side for left handed players)and the strummin patterns are coming along great.hope this helps anyone in their strumming..cheers...stanny

Have you thought about using a felt plectrum? Various gauges are available which give a lovely warm tone.

Have you thought about using a felt plectrum? Various gauges are available which give a lovely warm tone.

I've been wanting to try a felt pick for a while now but none of my local music stories carry them and I've been too cheap to pay the shipping on just a set of picks. Waiting for the UAS to kick in or to want a new book/vid and order them together. :D

when you hit the strings so that no chord is heard, only the hit

I am definately a ThumbStrummer. When I started playing there was noone to show me how and I formed the thumb habit. I'm stuck with it now and don't really mind as it works well for me. The thumbstrummer hand position is perfect for chunking. Do this; Strum a chord you want to be audible (the chord before the chunk) then as you bring your hand back up curl your fingers into the palm of your hand. On the chunk stroke, flip your fingers out of your palm striking the strings with the tops of your nails across the strings like you're flicking water off after washing your hands, then immediately mute the strings with your palm. You'll get a powerful and clean chunk! Try to make contact with all 4 fingernails on all 4 strings. Good luck!

I've seen several threads that say what finger you strum with is a matter of comfort and preference. I'm way more comfortable strumming with my thumb than my pointer finger. But I can't seem to get that cool chunking noise with my thumb. I can get it with my pointer, loud and clear. I can make a weak chunk when I strum with my thumb but it doesn't sound nearly as pronounced or clear as it does with my pointer.

So, is this just a matter of practice, practice, practice -- or do people who strum with their thumbs still chunk with their pointer finger? Is it a switch-up thing I need to learn? I'm just curious what other "thumb strummers" do for the chunk...
I just learned how to chunk a few weeks ago. I agree that strumming with my thumb is much more comfy, but I just can't chunk that way so I am forcing myself to start strumming with my index finger, when I know I will be chunkin it up!

I downstroke with my index and upstroke with my thumbnail...I guess its unorthodox, but it works for me. chunking is no problem

i do the same thing. it just feels more comfortable.

I thumb-strum too and for chunking I do what someone else mentioned on this thread...Dunno if it's correct or not, but I sort of curl my fingers into my palm and strike the strings with the tops of my fingers...Seems to work, anyway.

I'm a (mostly) thumbstrummer too, and I do exactly what eleuke wrote above when I chunk.

I think chunking works better for me if I use my index finger or more then one finger for a sharp down stroke with the nails. At the same time I use a combination of my palm and the inside of the lower part of my thumb to mute the strings. The whole motion is like you are slapping the strings with your palm/ thumb and at the same time rotating the wrist so the index or other fingers hit the stings with a down stroke.

Top Bottom