Where have you played your Uke?

VegasGeorge

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
In years past, I played my Uke at a bagel bakery every morning. In fact, that was about my only playing back then. These days it's mostly at home. But I have taken a Uke out with me a few times. Yesterday and the day before, I played in our Dentist's waiting room while waiting for my wife to be treated. I took it with me a while back to play at a coffee shop while waiting for my new glasses to be made. And even earlier, I took it to the local auto dealership to play while waiting for my car to be serviced. So far, since I've started playing again, those have been my only outings with a Uke in hand.

Where have you taken yours?

I've been playing for just a couple of months, but so far I've played on a train and on a ferry. I've also played in school between lectures. Although, to be fair, my skill level doesn't justify playing in public yet, so I've played when there aren't many people around. :rolleyes:

Edit: I wanted to add that this is gonna be a fun thread!

I bring mine everywhere! I bought a really comfy case just for that reason.

The place I play the most is in the car waiting for my kids to get done with various activities. Even if it is just for 10 minutes.
I went out of my comfort zone and played the local Open Mic.
The other day at football practice a couple of parents asked me to play for them and that was a lot of fun!

In the last year I have travelled a lot, so I have played ukulele in Florida, California, Indiana, Missouri, North Carolina, various other Virginia cities, Oregon, and in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean on a Disney Cruise! I was asked to play in the family talent show by the Activities director because she remembered me from the last cruise where I met the act Buckets N Boards, who are one of my artists, and I supply all their ukuleles. They have a Branson show as well. I passed by her and she said, "I know EXACTLY who you are! Do you know they mention you in all their shows?" Which I think is awesome! So... on the Disney Cruises I am famous! Haha!

Last edited:
I bring mine everywhere! I bought a really comfy case just for that reason.

I have my uke with me all the time as well. So I was wondering, which case did you buy? I was just thinking about starting a thread on case with shoulder straps.

I took my travel tenor to the bottom of the Grand Canyon a week ago. As shown below - a couple of fluffs, followed by a complete version, followed by an isolation shot on my friend Terry and his unique sense of rhythym.

Last edited:
I've played in a lot of places and will play anywhere people don't object. I've only been playing uke for about two months so I haven't played in too many exotic places with the uke yet. I did play "Five Foot Two" in church this month and today I am going to visit a friend. She lives in a haunted house on a mountain top. I frequently call her a witch but she isn't. I've been working on "With Her Head Tucked Underneath Her Arm" for the occasion.

By all means get a padded uke bag A shoulder strap is a definite must have.

Way cool Greenie!

Yeah since its Halloween anyway and I am a storyteller I plan for these sort of things in advance. Can't beat a personal story about a witch and and a haunted house on Halloween. And its true, or will be about an hour from now!;)

I have played my soprano ukulele, while supine, underneath my bed, looking up at the cobwebs and those extraordinarily thin spiders that make them.

I butcher "Blue Roses Falling" and imaging myself lying next to Jake on that floating dock in Hawaii Kai, looking up at the clouds and catching sunshine in my open mouth. A.J. comes back along the shore and brings Jake and I these giant fruit cups--mangos, pineapples, kiwi, the works--but we have to swim over to get them because A.J. is wearing his work whites and tells us he can't swim anyhow. Jake forces me to jump in and swim to A.J. I ask him why me, and he says, "Because."

So I do as I'm told: I take off my shirt and Jake laughs at my body. I jump in the water hoping that he'll shut his pie-hole. I start toward shore and A.J. is waving me in like a dog. It's cold and there's something slimy against my ankles, but I can't see what it is. I tread water and shout out to Jake about it, since he knows the water around there and I don't, but he just laughs again and pegs a rusty nail at me. I swim again. I get this sneaking suspicion that, once I get to shore, A.J. is going to put the sole of his shoe against my forehead until I tire and drown.

Then, I wake up, still lying in the dust beneath my box spring, having rolled over and crushed the body of my ukulele. No Jake, no fruit cups. Just me and the spiders.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y82npOI0Va0

Last edited:
On the loo.

Great minds think alike. I was just going to say "I'll have to play it on the potty just so I can say I did." LOL

In bed
walking down the street (a few paces ahead of my mortified teenage daughters)
restaurants and bars
airports and airplanes
hotels and motels
my wife's kindergarten class
retirement homes
the zoo
the hospital
farmer's markets
libraries
bakeries and coffee shops
a corn maze in Missouri
on a dock at the lake
on a cruise
in my car (but only one-handed)
UWC V

In bed
walking down the street (a few paces ahead of my mortified teenage daughters)
restaurants and bars
airports and airplanes
hotels and motels
my wife's kindergarten class
retirement homes
the zoo
the hospital
farmer's markets
libraries
bakeries and coffee shops
a corn maze in Missouri
on a dock at the lake
on a cruise
in my car (but only one-handed)
UWC V

Intriguing !!!!!!!!!!

Played on the deck of a Princess ship while off the dock at Bora Bora while the crew washed windows. A request by them, Five Foot Two. I'd taken my Dolphin, well packed in a suitcase. ( 29 day cruise from Australia to San Francisco) I've played other places but they were the most appreciative of my really bad playing and singing.

I'm hoping to have the opportunity to play on an airplane. Only after the stews have refused me any more alcohol and taken away my cigarettes. (Don't tell me about international law. I'm an American citizen. I got rights!)
Once I've lived this dream, I'm planning to play in lock-up. I was a real hit last time.

Just took it on a trip to NJ and DC from San Antonio. But I typically play the uke at every gig. Most of our songs are guitar and bass (well, u-bass, my wife plays the u-bass). But every gig has 4 - 8 uke songs in it. When I pull out the uke, EVERYONE in the audience smiles, because that's what a uke does to a crowd - makes everyone smile.

It will be with me when I travel back up north for Thanksgiving as well.

In a church
On the couch/bed
Out by the pool
Under the trees in the yard
On the porch
At the park
In car line (great practice time while I'm waiting)
At my son's school (letter "U" week!)
At soccer practice
At a community health fair
At an elementary school in Tuscaloosa
At a couple of Boy Scout functions (great way to help them get their music loop)
At Back When Days local fair
At the local Community Fair (boy, do we like community fairs around here)
At the Fall Festival (tomorrow - yet another community fair kind of thing!)
At the Alabama Uke Fest (woot!) We were on the lake and it was a WONDERFUL day!!
At an antique shop for the Downtown Night Before Christmas (coming up in a few weeks!)
At Clearview Cancer Institute (playing in the lobby in November)
Family parties (birthdays and whatnot)
Telephone greetings - we call and strum and sing Happy Birthday or whatever.
In the potty - but not ON the potty. When I first started playing, my son was still afraid to shower alone, so I would sit on my makeup stool and play while he took a shower.

That's about it!

This woman's ukulele must be one of the most globally traveled ones ever.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/user/songintranslation/videos[/video]

Top Bottom