PDA

View Full Version : Where have you played your Uke?

VegasGeorge
10-31-2014, 04:09 AM
In years past, I played my Uke at a bagel bakery every morning. In fact, that was about my only playing back then. These days it's mostly at home. But I have taken a Uke out with me a few times. Yesterday and the day before, I played in our Dentist's waiting room while waiting for my wife to be treated. I took it with me a while back to play at a coffee shop while waiting for my new glasses to be made. And even earlier, I took it to the local auto dealership to play while waiting for my car to be serviced. So far, since I've started playing again, those have been my only outings with a Uke in hand.

Where have you taken yours?

g'est
10-31-2014, 04:23 AM
I've been playing for just a couple of months, but so far I've played on a train and on a ferry. I've also played in school between lectures. Although, to be fair, my skill level doesn't justify playing in public yet, so I've played when there aren't many people around. :rolleyes:

Edit: I wanted to add that this is gonna be a fun thread!

Mim
10-31-2014, 04:24 AM
I bring mine everywhere! I bought a really comfy case just for that reason.

The place I play the most is in the car waiting for my kids to get done with various activities. Even if it is just for 10 minutes.
I went out of my comfort zone and played the local Open Mic.
The other day at football practice a couple of parents asked me to play for them and that was a lot of fun!

In the last year I have travelled a lot, so I have played ukulele in Florida, California, Indiana, Missouri, North Carolina, various other Virginia cities, Oregon, and in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean on a Disney Cruise! I was asked to play in the family talent show by the Activities director because she remembered me from the last cruise where I met the act Buckets N Boards, who are one of my artists, and I supply all their ukuleles. They have a Branson show as well. I passed by her and she said, "I know EXACTLY who you are! Do you know they mention you in all their shows?" Which I think is awesome! So... on the Disney Cruises I am famous! Haha!

g'est
10-31-2014, 04:34 AM
I bring mine everywhere! I bought a really comfy case just for that reason.

I have my uke with me all the time as well. So I was wondering, which case did you buy? I was just thinking about starting a thread on case with shoulder straps.

bonesoup
10-31-2014, 04:45 AM
Cruise-famous rules.

greenie44
10-31-2014, 05:06 AM
I took my travel tenor to the bottom of the Grand Canyon a week ago. As shown below - a couple of fluffs, followed by a complete version, followed by an isolation shot on my friend Terry and his unique sense of rhythym.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkhW84sv3mY

IamNoMan
10-31-2014, 05:31 AM
I've played in a lot of places and will play anywhere people don't object. I've only been playing uke for about two months so I haven't played in too many exotic places with the uke yet. I did play "Five Foot Two" in church this month and today I am going to visit a friend. She lives in a haunted house on a mountain top. I frequently call her a witch but she isn't. I've been working on "With Her Head Tucked Underneath Her Arm" for the occasion.

By all means get a padded uke bag A shoulder strap is a definite must have.

Way cool Greenie!

g'est
10-31-2014, 05:35 AM
Haunted house on a mountain top sounds awesome! :D

IamNoMan
10-31-2014, 05:41 AM
Yeah since its Halloween anyway and I am a storyteller I plan for these sort of things in advance. Can't beat a personal story about a witch and and a haunted house on Halloween. And its true, or will be about an hour from now!;)

coolkayaker1
10-31-2014, 05:46 AM
I have played my soprano ukulele, while supine, underneath my bed, looking up at the cobwebs and those extraordinarily thin spiders that make them.

I butcher "Blue Roses Falling" and imaging myself lying next to Jake on that floating dock in Hawaii Kai, looking up at the clouds and catching sunshine in my open mouth. A.J. comes back along the shore and brings Jake and I these giant fruit cups--mangos, pineapples, kiwi, the works--but we have to swim over to get them because A.J. is wearing his work whites and tells us he can't swim anyhow. Jake forces me to jump in and swim to A.J. I ask him why me, and he says, "Because."

So I do as I'm told: I take off my shirt and Jake laughs at my body. I jump in the water hoping that he'll shut his pie-hole. I start toward shore and A.J. is waving me in like a dog. It's cold and there's something slimy against my ankles, but I can't see what it is. I tread water and shout out to Jake about it, since he knows the water around there and I don't, but he just laughs again and pegs a rusty nail at me. I swim again. I get this sneaking suspicion that, once I get to shore, A.J. is going to put the sole of his shoe against my forehead until I tire and drown.

Then, I wake up, still lying in the dust beneath my box spring, having rolled over and crushed the body of my ukulele. No Jake, no fruit cups. Just me and the spiders.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y82npOI0Va0

CeeJay
10-31-2014, 07:14 AM
On the loo.

PhilUSAFRet
10-31-2014, 07:55 AM
On the loo.

Great minds think alike. I was just going to say "I'll have to play it on the potty just so I can say I did." LOL

NewKid
10-31-2014, 07:59 AM
In bed
walking down the street (a few paces ahead of my mortified teenage daughters)
restaurants and bars
airports and airplanes
hotels and motels
my wife's kindergarten class
retirement homes
the zoo
the hospital
farmer's markets
libraries
bakeries and coffee shops
a corn maze in Missouri
on a dock at the lake
on a cruise
in my car (but only one-handed)
UWC V

coolkayaker1
10-31-2014, 08:18 AM
On the loo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HrnWC8zBcE

CeeJay
10-31-2014, 08:23 AM
In bed
walking down the street (a few paces ahead of my mortified teenage daughters)
restaurants and bars
airports and airplanes
hotels and motels
my wife's kindergarten class
retirement homes
the zoo
the hospital
farmer's markets
libraries
bakeries and coffee shops
a corn maze in Missouri
on a dock at the lake
on a cruise
in my car (but only one-handed)
UWC V

Intriguing !!!!!!!!!!

quiltingshirley
10-31-2014, 10:17 AM
Played on the deck of a Princess ship while off the dock at Bora Bora while the crew washed windows. A request by them, Five Foot Two. I'd taken my Dolphin, well packed in a suitcase. ( 29 day cruise from Australia to San Francisco) I've played other places but they were the most appreciative of my really bad playing and singing.

stevepetergal
10-31-2014, 10:51 AM
I'm hoping to have the opportunity to play on an airplane. Only after the stews have refused me any more alcohol and taken away my cigarettes. (Don't tell me about international law. I'm an American citizen. I got rights!)
Once I've lived this dream, I'm planning to play in lock-up. I was a real hit last time.

Phuufme
10-31-2014, 11:19 AM
Just took it on a trip to NJ and DC from San Antonio. But I typically play the uke at every gig. Most of our songs are guitar and bass (well, u-bass, my wife plays the u-bass). But every gig has 4 - 8 uke songs in it. When I pull out the uke, EVERYONE in the audience smiles, because that's what a uke does to a crowd - makes everyone smile.

It will be with me when I travel back up north for Thanksgiving as well.

Ukejenny
10-31-2014, 11:38 AM
In a church
On the couch/bed
Out by the pool
Under the trees in the yard
On the porch
At the park
In car line (great practice time while I'm waiting)
At my son's school (letter "U" week!)
At soccer practice
At a community health fair
At an elementary school in Tuscaloosa
At a couple of Boy Scout functions (great way to help them get their music loop)
At Back When Days local fair
At the local Community Fair (boy, do we like community fairs around here)
At the Fall Festival (tomorrow - yet another community fair kind of thing!)
At the Alabama Uke Fest (woot!) We were on the lake and it was a WONDERFUL day!!
At an antique shop for the Downtown Night Before Christmas (coming up in a few weeks!)
At Clearview Cancer Institute (playing in the lobby in November)
Family parties (birthdays and whatnot)
Telephone greetings - we call and strum and sing Happy Birthday or whatever.
In the potty - but not ON the potty. When I first started playing, my son was still afraid to shower alone, so I would sit on my makeup stool and play while he took a shower.

That's about it!

geetee
10-31-2014, 12:11 PM
This woman's ukulele must be one of the most globally traveled ones ever.

http://www.youtube.com/user/songintranslation/videos

CeeJay
10-31-2014, 01:34 PM
In the potty - but not ON the potty. When I first started playing, my son was still afraid to shower alone, so I would sit on my makeup stool and play while he took a shower.

That's about it!

Hmmm we take a dim view of this , it's not the real thang...:rulez::rolleyes::D

stevejfc
10-31-2014, 03:34 PM
Sorry, but I can't go into the specifics, but it was a long time ago, in a real shitty dressing room, and the recently late, and very great Jack Bruce was there......................really.

VegasGeorge
10-31-2014, 03:44 PM
I should have mentioned that when I was in our Dentist’s waiting room I got several compliments on my playing. Patients would come out the door from the treatment area, holding one hand against the side of their face, look at me and say: “Ourumph mopa caragaht barbobit,” or some such, and walked out the door to the parking lot. Gee, I thought that was so nice of them! :D

CeeJay
10-31-2014, 03:53 PM
Alnwick International Music Festival ...I forgot about playing with The Uketeers ....(The ones from Hexham UK)

Falstone Festival....like wise with The Uketeers...

and on the Seasons Of The Ukulele .....and in Hexham ( Northumberland ...the real and original one ...why aye man...)

as well as...the you know where, of course....or coarse if you prefer.

itsme
10-31-2014, 04:57 PM
I can say I've played at the prestigious Dorothy Chandler Pavillion at the Music Center in downtown L.A.

Well, me and ~300 other ukers who were part of the Ukule-Along, but still... I can say I played there. :p

I just started playing on my back patio recently. I had an old heavy duty music stand that's pretty beat up already that I dug out of the storeroom and cleaned up.

Wish I'd done it sooner. It's really pleasant to sit out there, and the natural light makes it easier to read music.

So far, I haven't had any complaints, and I really don't expect any. I mostly fingerpick and it's not that loud (no singing). No competition with the neighbors who blast their music or the guy with the really loud motorcycle. Or the chainsaws from the next door neighbors having their trees trimmed today.

CeeJay
10-31-2014, 05:12 PM
I can say I've played at the prestigious Dorothy Chandler Pavillion at the Music Center in downtown L.A.

Well, me and ~300 other ukers who were part of the Ukule-Along, but still... I can say I played there. :p

I just started playing on my back patio recently. I had an old heavy duty music stand that's pretty beat up already that I dug out of the storeroom and cleaned up.

Wish I'd done it sooner. It's really pleasant to sit out there, and the natural light makes it easier to read music.

So far, I haven't had any complaints, and I really don't expect any. I mostly fingerpick and it's not that loud (no singing). No competition with the neighbors who blast their music or the guy with the really loud motorcycle. Or the chainsaws from the next door neighbors having their trees trimmed today.

Well rock on ...I bet you were the best in your row ...alright that's from Ghostbusters ..but hey ....you were there .......;)

IamNoMan
10-31-2014, 06:20 PM
Who is this woman's publicist? I would love to get a gig playing the Red Army Choir's Reunion.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkNvoSxUBDE&list=UUVkifPan2hE_dbrbe2xSgcw

Uk3player78
10-31-2014, 07:37 PM
I'll go with the non 'normal' places. The loo is normal right? :D

Starbucks after buying a uke. Snark wins so i'm not PING.... PING... ugh PING... >G< YAY!

Weatherspoons pub (UK) nobody notices also BEER! Not the only pub i have played in unpaid.

Tonight after a late shift, standing at the rear door of the house staring out at the stars playing Eddie Vedder quietly after 2am while the family is asleep.

Giving entertainment to fellow motorists in very heavy traffic one year heading down to the inlaws for xmas. Windows open and a soprano. Safety first dropping uke to my knee when moving at 1 > 2MPH.

kohanmike
10-31-2014, 07:47 PM
In the past year+ of taking up the uke, I've played with the CC Strummers at festivals, assisted living and senior centers and even a flash mob. With the Westside Ukulele Ensemble (since dropped out), we played YMCA shows, an art opening and a neighborhood fund raiser. And, by myself at a friend's New Year's eve party.

I also played once early on for my cousin visiting from Canada when he came over with my sister-in-law (my brother lives downstairs from me), but the two of them laughed at me when I tried to do Iz's Rainbow (I'm not a very good singer). You can be sure I'll never play or sing in front of them again.

Otherwise, I play on my couch 3-4 times a week, plus of course, Mondays and Thursday with the CC Strummers at the Veterans Memorial Building in Culver City.

Phluffy the Destroyer
10-31-2014, 09:04 PM
I carry a uke with me everywhere I go, weather permitting, and I play just about anywhere I have more than 10 minutes to kill. I play a lot at bus stops, and just walking down the street. Usually I manage a good hour or two at work, which is pretty awesome sometimes. I work at a hotel. There have been several guests travelling with guitars and banjos that have sat down with me and jammed in the lobby. I've played at the Ukulele Slam both years here in K.C. and done a couple of open mic events at bars around town.

One of the coolest places I've played was on a city bus. One of the drivers on my daily bus home from work asked me to play her a song one day. I said I would except that there is a policy about not disturbing other passengers, so she got on the p.a. to make sure it was okay with everyone. They all thought it was a great idea (because they didn't know any better) so I strapped on my ukulele and started playing. They all enjoyed it (tone deaf one and all) and asked me to play some more. So, I ended up playing for the next 20 minutes until I got to my stop. There was one complaint the next day from a guy (moron) who was sitting in the back (where the engine is) who couldn't hear anything.

A couple of other memorable places I've played are the WWI museum in downtown Kansas City and a clothing optional campground in Eastern Kansas where, for the benefit of lifekind, I stayed fully dressed at all times.

Chopped Liver
11-01-2014, 01:25 AM
I should have mentioned that when I was in our Dentist’s waiting room I got several compliments on my playing. Patients would come out the door from the treatment area, holding one hand against the side of their face, look at me and say: “Ourumph mopa caragaht barbobit,” or some such, and walk out the door to the parking lot. Gee, I thought that was so nice of them! :D
:D. ..........

DownUpDave
11-01-2014, 02:25 AM
Who is this woman's publicist? I would love to get a gig playing the Red Army Choir's Reunion.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkNvoSxUBDE&list=UUVkifPan2hE_dbrbe2xSgcw

Lets see now.........A good looking young french girl with a lovely singing voice who happens to play the ukulele fairly well. I am guessing she doesn't need a publicist to play in front of all these men

Now us on the other hand might need more than a good publisist :old:

Tigeralum2001
11-01-2014, 05:44 AM
Most exotic locales- Waikiki and Shipwreck Beach (on Lana'i).