LR Baggs 5.0

Phuufme

Reaction score
Just picked up my new Pono Pro-Classic ATSHC-PC (solid cedar top, solid acacia back and sides) from the local uke shop in town [okay to be fair it is also a guitar shop, but he does sell ukes]. I bought the uke from Mim's Ukes, but she doesn't install electronics yet.

So, I had Guitar Tex install the LR Baggs 5.0 in it. I played it through a Fishman Loudbox at the shop, and wow, the uke sounds outstanding. I love the little volume control, which he put at the top of the sound hole.

Next up, we have a gig tomorrow at a winery here a little more than an hour north of San Antonio. I'll play it through our mixer and into our Bose Compact and let you know how it sounds.

I just love the quality and the sound of this uke.

Steve

Pono' are great instruments. Congratulations.

Pono' are great instruments. Congratulations.

It is offical.........I am getting you a tee shirt "Worlds biggest Pono Fanboy" on the back it will say " Radius or die"

Not that there is anything wrong with that. :nana::nana::nana:

It is offical.........I am getting you a tee shirt "Worlds biggest Pono Fanboy" on the back it will say " Radius or die"

Not that there is anything wrong with that. :nana::nana::nana:

True. And I don't even sell them. Tremendous value.

Of course I think all of us know that you have a Pono PC ET with Gotoh UPTs just to be snooty.

Give Simone a strum it will make you happier, lol

True. And I don't even sell them. Tremendous value.

Of course I think all of us know that you have a Pono PC ET with Gotoh UPTs just to be snooty.

Give Simone a strum it will make you happier, lol

I like it..........Me and my snooty tuners might just slum around with you and your filthy slotheads

Just picked up my new Pono Pro-Classic ATSHC-PC (solid cedar top, solid acacia back and sides) from the local uke shop in town [okay to be fair it is also a guitar shop, but he does sell ukes]. I bought the uke from Mim's Ukes, but she doesn't install electronics yet.

So, I had Guitar Tex install the LR Baggs 5.0 in it. I played it through a Fishman Loudbox at the shop, and wow, the uke sounds outstanding. I love the little volume control, which he put at the top of the sound hole.

Next up, we have a gig tomorrow at a winery here a little more than an hour north of San Antonio. I'll play it through our mixer and into our Bose Compact and let you know how it sounds.

I just love the quality and the sound of this uke.

Steve
That's my amped combo, a baggs [in my Koaloha tenor] played through a Fishman loudbox [mini] I played a solo gig at a winery and had a lot of compliments from other musicians on the clean sound. I don't think it is quite as good as a good mic, but a lot handier.

That's my amped combo, a baggs [in my Koaloha tenor] played through a Fishman loudbox [mini] I played a solo gig at a winery and had a lot of compliments from other musicians on the clean sound. I don't think it is quite as good as a good mic, but a lot handier.

Cool, but unfortunately I already have a Genz-Benz acoustic amp and a Bose Compact sound system. Not in the market for a Fishman Loudbox, but if I need a new acoustic amp, I would definitely consider this amp.

Steve

First off I hope you did not mind me poking some fun at sam13 about his love of Ponos.:)We are friends and attend uke jams together in the same city so it is all just friendly banter. I recently bought a Pono pro classic, cedar/macassar ebony and like you I am also super impressed with it.

You had said you were doing a gig at a winery and would update us on the Baggs pick up. How did it work out for you. I have read your posts with interest as I am curious about the Baggs pickup, seems to be the top choice of most people.

Dave

Steve

First off I hope you did not mind me poking some fun at sam13 about his love of Ponos.:)We are friends and attend uke jams together in the same city so it is all just friendly banter. I recently bought a Pono pro classic, cedar/macassar ebony and like you I am also super impressed with it.

No worries, poking fun is always fun. I love my Pono.

You had said you were doing a gig at a winery and would update us on the Baggs pick up. How did it work out for you. I have read your posts with interest as I am curious about the Baggs pickup, seems to be the top choice of most people.

Well, it was an outdoor gig with a chance of interesting weather (which never occured) so I took my Cordoba uke. I should use the Pono for sure at our gig next weekend, which is indoors. And I will let you know then. Thanks for asking.

Dave

Dave -- it went really well. Played 3 songs with the uke into the Bose Classic. Cedar top makes this a nice mellow sound, and I had several compliments on the sound of the uke. Just clean, no EQ. I may put just a tad of treble into the uke the next time -- we'll see.

Dave -- it went really well. Played 3 songs with the uke into the Bose Classic. Cedar top makes this a nice mellow sound, and I had several compliments on the sound of the uke. Just clean, no EQ. I may put just a tad of treble into the uke the next time -- we'll see.

So you are very happy with the Baggs 5.0 and would recommend it would you. At some point I will get a pick up and I am always interested to hear the feedback ( pun intended ) about different pickups.

So you are very happy with the Baggs 5.0 and would recommend it would you. At some point I will get a pick up and I am always interested to hear the feedback ( pun intended ) about different pickups.

So far I would recommend the LR Baggs 5.0. I know the battery lasts about 300 hours, so lets see when it gets there if I remember that to be the reason why there is no sound. I do like having the volume control. I will say the uke sounded great through the Fishman Loudbox acoustic amp. It also sounded great straight up through the Bose Classic. I did have it professionally installed.

The 300 hours number is pretty generous, but maybe it will still make sound at that point. I've never timed it, but I find the bottom end starts to sag after a week or so of gigs or practice (with something everyday). 20 hours maybe? But this is just the end of the best sound you can get. After that you've still got a lot of miles, but I like to change sooner.

The 300 hours number is pretty generous, but maybe it will still make sound at that point. I've never timed it, but I find the bottom end starts to sag after a week or so of gigs or practice (with something everyday). 20 hours maybe? But this is just the end of the best sound you can get. After that you've still got a lot of miles, but I like to change sooner.

Well 20 hours is very different than the 300 that LR Baggs quotes. I hope you are wrong (sorry ..:cool:), but you could very well be right. I think I am going to create a tracking sheet to actually see how long it lasts before it dies. Then I will have an idea for the next one. I know these batteries are cheap, and my luthier put it in an easy place to change the battery, but who wants a battery to die during a gig.

I have the MISI in my koaloha. I really like the sound and the one minute charge time is great. But I really would like the have the volume knob that the Baggs has. Maybe they could combine the two someday.

I went with MISI on my Ukes because putting 4 at an extra $50 for the 50 was a bit over my budget. And also the battery vs 1 min charge even the workaround with a 9 volt battery in an emergency.

I compensate for the lack of volume knob by using a beringher DI box which cost me less than $50 and should be part of a good clean setup between your Uke and the rest of the sound system be it an amp, pedal, looper etc.

With this setup I just need one DI box and one charger for all my MISI Ukes.

On a related note I recently got the planet waves cable that has a push button circuit breaker on the guitar end so you don't get any disconnect nasty sounds. As long as you get used to using the button every time it Rocks! It's an excellent innovation.

I have the MISI in my koaloha. I really like the sound and the one minute charge time is great. But I really would like the have the volume knob that the Baggs has. Maybe they could combine the two someday.

That sounds like a good combination and within a couple of days (God willing) I may have just such a set up. MiSi and volume knob that is.

That sounds like a good combination and within a couple of days (God willing) I may have just such a set up. MiSi and volume knob that is.

How will you have a MISI with a volume knob on the uke? Did I miss something?

How will you have a MISI with a volume knob on the uke? Did I miss something?

No you didn't miss anything, this one comes like that. (I think.) It has been at Customs since the 5th but I'm in more of a hurry than they are. I was hoping the letter would come today - but no.

Okay cool. I'd love to hear about it. Since the MISI is passive, I didn't know it could have a volume knob.

Top Bottom