Gator Journeyman Uke cases - worth it?

dkwan9

Reaction score
Hey guys, I want to buy a new case for my tenor uke, which lives in a gig bag atm. The new Journeyman case by Gator is very nice looking, but do you think it's worth the extra $30 over say the cheapest hard case available on musiciansfriend.com? Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

I wanted a case for my concert Pono and was looking for an ABS case but the local shop didn't have one, so we went to the 'Net looking at what they could get from their supplliers.
The Gator Journeyman looked to be an option and they offered to get me one in to look at. I was impressed enough to buy it, they were impressed enough to order more to hold in stock.

The concert case comes with a strap so you can sling the case over your shoulder, I'm not sure how common that is but it could prove handy one day.

I've been wondering about them too! But my current hard case for 60 dollars is in my opinion, just as good. I checked the sizes for the gator as well and it seems to be too small a fit for my lanikai too.

Last edited:
Guardian and the hard-shell Uke Crazy cases are on par with each other. I have the alligator UC that I like a lot and am looking at their tweed case. I'd buy the Journeyman if the tweed was darker. The Guardian is a good case.

I have a O'ahu wood hard shell case and a TGI abs case. Both are very good for different reasons and both have downfalls.

The O'ahu wood case is significantly stronger with very little flex. This makes it better for travel and protection where it may be bashed a bit. It is however rather heavy and bulky. This can be an issue if you are lugging it around all day.

The TGI abs case is light and smaller. This makes it ideal for around town but the amount of flex in the abs is alarming. I certainly wouldn't use this case if it was likely to be knocked.

I have subjected both cases to the "stand on it" test and the wood shell hardly moved whereas the abs actually dipped in about 3-4cm which is significant seeing as that would put weight directly onto the uke. It did however bounce straight back to it's original shape.

In short it depends on what you are going to be using it for...

I don't have much confidence in ABS cases, having received a new one that had a large crack. That case was packed in a sturdy cardboard shipping box. It didn't bode well but maybe this was a one off occurance.
IMO none of the cases that I have are perfect, albeit still providing good protection. They are either too heavy, don't have a storage box, don't have the ability to attach a carry strap, etc. I guess if you had justification to order a custom carbon fibre case you could have the holy grail but few can justify that sort of expense.

Top Bottom