Lil' Rev workshop

drewp

Reaction score
Hey all, just attended a Lil' Rev workshop a couple of days ago in Philly. Mostly dealt w/ R-hand (strum) techniques. I wasn't expecting much but I have to say I left pleasantly surprised! Lil' Rev came across as a super nice guy...with great stories, sense of humor...and I got a sense that he really wanted everyone to understand and excel in their ukulele playing...at what ever level they were at. Just a shout out AND recommendation that if you ever have a chance to attend one of his workshops, you should give it a try.

Well said. You certainly do get your moneys worth at his workshop.

I'm off to a workshop with him here in Pittsburgh this afternoon. Last year's visit was great, I'm looking forward to seeing what he's offering this time around. He has an old friend here in town who's an excellent harmonica player, so the concert tonight should be even better as they'll be playing together.

Hey all, just attended a Lil' Rev workshop a couple of days ago in Philly. Mostly dealt w/ R-hand (strum) techniques. I wasn't expecting much but I have to say I left pleasantly surprised! Lil' Rev came across as a super nice guy...with great stories, sense of humor...and I got a sense that he really wanted everyone to understand and excel in their ukulele playing...at what ever level they were at. Just a shout out AND recommendation that if you ever have a chance to attend one of his workshops, you should give it a try.

drewp, I was there also and couldn't agree more. I know it's hard for someone to gear a workshop to "all levels" and I've attended my share of disappointing workshops. But Lil Rev was very informative. He has a great way of breaking a strum down into smaller parts and then putting it all together.

I have been in several of Rev's ukulele workshops and one of his harmonica workshop. I've also housed him when he has played festivals in our area.
Rev is one of the nicest human beings you can meet. He has a genuine warm personality and he is a great showman.

If you have not been to a Lil' Rev show or workshop, you have missed a lot.

Ditto that. Lil' Rev is not only a talented musician (truly amazing on the harmonica), but he is an exceptionally gifted educator. Probably the best I've personally experienced so far (of about 10, so not a huge sample size but more than one).

I've also attended a couple different Lil Rev workshops, classes, and performances. He's a great guy and very effective instructor. He uses a triple strum technique that I haven't seen others use. Index and middle fingers strum down together, then each back up separately. This finally works for me and I've been able to achieve pretty respectable speed with that method. That's just one of the tid bits I picked up from him. Go see him, well worth the time and money!

Last edited:
We have Lil Rev giving (probably the same) strumming workshop in Altoona, PA tomorrow night. I'm really looking forward to it as strum patterns are my weakest uke skill right now (other than picking, but I haven't actually begun tackling that yet!)

Top Bottom