Ukuleles and inclement weather

Ukejenny

Reaction score
So, I ask a question due to the fact that we had a performance scheduled for this morning and the temperature was around 36 degrees, with wind gusts up to 30+ miles per hour, or thereabouts.

We were going to play at a fall festival, held in a vacant field beside our city park. No covering for us and no trees to even break the wind. I awoke this morning and looked at the weather and canceled. Not only would the wind have blown our music stands down, but the temps would have been horrible for the instruments, and who would even hear us with all the wind and cold?

In what kind of environment or weather do you refuse to perform with your ukulele?

When I am scheduled for a outdoor performance in inclement weather I do not cancel, I perform accapella! This is also the case when it is extremely muddy. Cancelling performances doesn't generate repeat business. If you can try to develop your performance skills to the point where you can do away with the music stands, etc. If your group is small enough investment in an Easy Up is a good idea. Used ones are cheap during the fall.

In the 1980s at the Philadelphia Folk Festival the Polish American String Band, (Mummers), came on stage. 40 feather clad banjo-ists of various types. THe feathered costumes can cost up to $10,000 dollars apiece! The rain started. They played for about 1-1/2 hours till the rain stopped. My damned girlfriend, now my wife, insisted on jumping up and "strutting" to the music. I spent the rest of the evening sitting next to a shivering wet dog!

Try living in the UK ;)...if you applied your yardstick we would never ever perform out doors....in fact I don't know why we have an outdoors ...should just glass dome over all the bloody islands...

Good reason to buy a Blackbird Clara! ;-)

I guess that's why Arizona is still growing...

Top Bottom