Hopeless. From UK.

Ricbritain

Reaction score
Hi,

I’m from the north east of England. I’ve had my Ukulele for around 10 months. Sadly I am unable to play anything, at all. It is the first instrument I have ever tried and I’m very disappointed with myself. I have looked at countless online videos in an attempt to make progress, but have failed. I just can’t figure out strum patterns at all, so even if I change chords well I have no idea how to strum. Nothing seems to teach this well.

I am on the verge of giving up. Any help would be appreciated.

There are other Brits hereabout, with any luck there may be one close enough to help. A look through the current threads should reveal a few quite quickly.

Any uke clubs near you? They generally have beginner's classes. Re: online videos, have you searched YouTube for Ukulele, how to strum? Some folks benefit from a metronome. There are some of those online too. Strumming is a basic skill. You need to just master your basic up, down strum slowly. Practice those chord changes slowly. It's important to go slow enough to "master" the technique you are trying to learn. The speed comes later. Many beginners are trying to learn lyrics, a strumming pattern, chords and subsequent chord changes, and get the "timing" right, all at the same time and without having mastered any of them first. Some can do it, but it also overwhelms some. This is consistent with Uncle Rod's Ukulele Boot Camp method. Your most important skill now is patience. It takes as long as it takes.

Hi,

I’m from the north east of England. I’ve had my Ukulele for around 10 months. Sadly I am unable to play anything, at all. It is the first instrument I have ever tried and I’m very disappointed with myself. I have looked at countless online videos in an attempt to make progress, but have failed. I just can’t figure out strum patterns at all, so even if I change chords well I have no idea how to strum. Nothing seems to teach this well.

Hi where abouts in North East are you anywhere near DL6?
Best thing you can do is start from the basics and do not try and play things that you can not that will discourage you even more. Just try and play simple things that sound nice. What Ukulele do you have is it a soprano tenor concert which make.
Phil.

Don't be discouraged as I think many more of us are in the same boat than those few individuals who can pick it all up quickly.

I still can't play much more than Twinkle Twinkle Little Star and that is only thanks to the Uncle Rods Boot Camp. But I still enjoy it as I have learned lots of chords, I am training my ear to recognize good and bad notes and the different chord progressions. Check out Jim D's site too: http://www.playukulelebyear.com/ . He has 26 basic lessons that are really good. It will all come in time, and now after a year I am starting to catch on to the strumming patterns (but then I am old and I learn much slower now LOL). I don't stress anymore about being able to play and sing a song through. It will come someday. For right now I am thrilled when I can just get a short riff down and get better at chord changes with practice.

I think PhilUSAFRet said it best- likely you are just trying to take on too much, too soon.

Welcome and don't give up! just try more often. Make sure you at least pick it up for 5 minutes a day even if it is just playing scales or strumming.

I started with youtube also before borrowing the Ukulele for Dummies book from a local library. I recommend learning at least a couple vids from a guy named Chili monster. Great donation based Tuition and he has downloadable song sheets that go with the lessons on his site.

http://www.shroprock.co.uk/ChiliMonsterMainPage.html

I believe the best thing to do is get together with one sympathetic person who will guide you through the very basics. As an example, in the mid 1980's, I was working as a propman in the movie studios here in Hollywood when during a rehearsal for a TV pilot, Lyle Waggoner (of the Carol Burnett show) started playing a harmonica. I had been trying for years to figure out how to play individual notes from the written guides, but could never get it. I told Lyle and said he would show me the same way he was shown by an old time harmonica player. He took my hand, put the side of it in his mouth and played it like it was a harmonica. That's all I needed and got it instantly.

Now I'm not saying to put your ukulele in his mouth, but I think you get the idea. Having someone at my side always helps me get through my personal barriers when I'm playing. I know that's why I enjoy going to my uke group twice a week.

Hey, don't give up! It's true that not everyone is a "natural." But most of here fall into that category too. You really can learn to play, even play well, with time and instruction. Do make an effort to find another Ukulele player in your area and get some one on one help. I think you will find things fall into place a lot quicker that way. If you really can't find anyone, then find the beginners videos here on UU or on youtube and play along with them. As long as you copy what you see and hear, you will be learning to play.

Hi,

Where in the NE are you ...it's a big chunk of ground.....anywhere near Hexham ?
Do you skype ?

I believe the best thing to do is get together with one sympathetic person who will guide you through the very basics. As an example, in the mid 1980's, I was working as a propman in the movie studios here in Hollywood when during a rehearsal for a TV pilot, Lyle Waggoner (of the Carol Burnett show) started playing a harmonica. I had been trying for years to figure out how to play individual notes from the written guides, but could never get it. I told Lyle and said he would show me the same way he was shown by an old time harmonica player. He took my hand, put the side of it in his mouth and played it like it was a harmonica. That's all I needed and got it instantly.

Haha! Man what a great story. Did you ever wash that hand again?

OP, I encourage you listen to PhilUSAFRet and the other good advice here.

Haha! Man what a great story. Did you ever wash that hand again?

OP, I encourage you listen to PhilUSAFRet and the other good advice here.

That, as Curly says in City Slickers is the one thing you need to know....just that one thing .......and it just needs one person to sit down with you and show you ...there are loads of ukers in the North East ....

And another person says "where are you?" - anywhere near York?

Don't get hung up on strumming patterns. Try this - lay one finger on your left hand, lightly, right across the strings to damp them - that way you're not playing any notes, just making a "thrump" sound when you strum. Then find some CDs and put on some of your favourite songs, and try to get the rythmn, as if you were clapping along. Strum whatever pattern feels right. Don't worry about keeping it the same all the way through the song - it probably changes somewhere. Just strum what you feel. Once you have done that for a few minutes, turn the music off but keep the strumming going, Now play a C chord. Keep the strumming going and change to an F. Then back to a C. And so on...

And if you are anywhere near York I will happily sit down with you and point you in the right direction.

PS: I don't focus on strumming patterns either. I listen, whether real or just in my head, to the bass lines or the drummer's beat. You do, however, have to master that basic up, down strum just to get you started. (kind of my own internal "metronome.")

If you haven't tried one yet, here's a real basic metronome. Can't hurt to try it. http://www.webmetronome.com/

Last edited:
When I first started I was pretty poor, some say still, but what I found useful was to find a song I knew that had as few chords in as possible. Then learn that. So I found it easier to relate to the strumming and the timing of the song if it was a song I knew. So who is your favourite band? Then go on one of the many chord sites and find one of that bands easiest songs, or even ask on here. My belief is that it is easier to learn a song you probably already know using a chord sheet where the chord changes are on the lyrics.

There's a bunch of videos that start from the very, very beginning in the subscriber section of the KaraUkey website. They were created to help absolute newbies get started in their own time. They were originally created for my grandchildren, who can both now play and have also been used by various members of my group. They are free, so maybe worth a look.

Last edited:
Do not give up!!!! Do NOT give up!!!! You came here and made this post, so there is a spark that is wanting hold on. Ignite that spark!

I promise you, promise you!!!! - you can do this. I have a degree in music education and I say this as a professional teacher. You can do this.

I would recommend you stop looking at countless videos and find a video that you really like - and stick to that one video for a while. Work on one thing. Don't worry about your patterns, just keep going. The patterns develop as your brain absorbs a song and a group of chords. Keep on with that one song. Keep on with that succession of chord changes. Listen to the song over and over. As you listen, tap your foot. Pat your leg with your hands. Move around and try to move to the beat.

My husband had no musical background whatsoever when we got married. Because of my background, he was very intimidated. He tried different things and it just didn't grab his interest. Then, when he started ukulele, he fell in love. Still, he had no sense of rhythm and no sense of pitch. After a year of playing (he has gone slow and stayed with songs that he likes) he is doing quite well. His rhythm is really developing - his strumming patterns are very improved. And, as a person who always considered himself "tone deaf", he is starting to sing quite well, too.

All of this can happen for you - I promise! Look in your heart - if you want to do this, it can be done.

Uncle Rod's Ukulele Boot Camp really helped me get started. I started with the practice sheet in the Key of C, and I worked just on the top line of chords - C, Am, F, and G7. I just did those four chords over and over. I didn't have a song in mind, I just sat and strummed. Then, once it started to feel kind of comfortable, I moved on to the next line.

http://ukulelebootcamp.weebly.com/uploads/2/2/4/8/22489722/ukulele_boot_camp_2013.pdf

Hi,

I have a Mahalo concert ukulele. It was about 50 pounds. I am in Redcar, TS10. Is DL6 Darlington?

At the beginning of the year I went to a Ukulele club twice. It was quite uncomfortable, as the other players simply played through a series of tunes for a couple of hours. Since I had no idea what I was doing it was pointless. I then had two lessons from a local guy. He was a fantastic player but I failed to improve beyond learning to hold the uke and strum without bashing my fingers.

I am now focusing on 'when I'm cleaning windows'. Hardly original I know, but it would be a great boost if I could play a known tune. I am trying to practice playing the chords and moving between them. I can pretty much do this now. My play sheet has a strum pattern of ‘up, up, down….up, down’. I can of course play this, but I don’t know at what speed. It doesn’t sound at all right when I try to put it together. Plus of course I struggle at the minute to concentrate both on changing chords and strumming consistently at the same time.

This has been my problem with all my attempts.

I can change chords and strum random nice patterns that can fool people into thinking I’m playing something, but of course I’m not. It’s actually still enjoyable even though I’m not achieving much :)

I do have Skype and would appreciate help that way, or any other way. Unfortunately I am away with work for the next two weeks without a good internet connection. I do have another Uku here with me though and try to have a strum every few days.

I will check out the links and info kindly given once I’m home.

Thanks for all the help.

PS The Boot Camp web link is great. Thanks.

Last edited:
"When I'm Cleaning Windows" is not the easiest thing to play - nine chords in the version I have, some fast changes, not to mention trying to strum like Formby. How about something you know with three chords, like I Have A Dream or Hound Dog? Before you actually try to play it, find a recording of it and clap along. Then dummy-strum along (with a finger on your left hand deadening the strings). When you feel like you have the strumming, THEN (and only then) have a go at the chords, but a lot slower...

...and I am happy to give Skype a go - never tried it for music coaching, but it's better than struggling alone!

Last edited:
Top Bottom