Magical Instrument?

Yukon Cornelius

Reaction score
So couple years ago (2008) I joined this site and drank the kool aid. You know, the kool aid that the ukulele is a magical instrument. Yeah, it isn't. The ukulele is no more magical that any other musical instrument. It is an inanimate object that really can't bring any joy or change. Joy and change has to come from within or from other living objects.

I left the site and changed my user name (formerly haolejohn) and rarely hang out here and sip on the kool aid. That doesn't mean anything. It just means that life gets in the way, and internet forums aren't as important for human interaction at the moment. Does that mean that forums or the ukulele are bad? Of course not.

Winter is coming and with that season, comes more down town. Winter is long, and dark. I wished my little instrument of joy would shine magical beams of light out of its sound hole, but instead notes of music will drift out. With these notes of music, I hope to spread joy to someone. Anyone. Head over to the contest section to see what joy can be found.

A lot of the "oldtimers" seem to be here less frequently these days, myself included. Life happens - no need to put a good/bad value on it, it just *is* :)

As for the magic - my opinion is that it's not the instrument that's magical, but rather music itself, regardless of what is used to make it.

A lot of the "oldtimers" seem to be here less frequently these days, myself included. Life happens - no need to put a good/bad value on it, it just *is* :)

As for the magic - my opinion is that it's not the instrument that's magical, but rather music itself, regardless of what is used to make it.

We got a winnah winnah chicken dinnah hea.
Music is the magic.

We got a winnah winnah chicken dinnah hea.
Music is the magic.
What makes the uke magical to me is the ease of which one can learn to play. In my experience as an adult learner of music, it is 4th behind the triangle, the kazoo, and the autoharp. However, the first 3 aren't very cool...

So couple years ago (2008) I joined this site and drank the kool aid. You know, the kool aid that the ukulele is a magical instrument. Yeah, it isn't. The ukulele is no more magical that any other musical instrument.

My ukulele IS magical. Sorry to hear yours is crap.

It is an inanimate object that really can't bring any joy or change. Joy and change has to come from within or from other living objects.

I assume you mean like bacon. Bacon is joy. While I will admit that it technically comes from a living thing; you have to kill that living thing to get bacon. Much like ukuleles. You have to kill a tree to make a good ukulele. Hence, ukuleles are musical bacon.

I left the site and changed my user name (formerly haolejohn) and rarely hang out here and sip on the kool aid. That doesn't mean anything. It just means that life gets in the way, and internet forums aren't as important for human interaction at the moment. Does that mean that forums or the ukulele are bad? Of course not.

You appear to be the only person suggesting that ukuleles are bad. Just an observation...

Winter is coming and with that season, comes more down town. Winter is long, and dark.

Medication helps. So does donating to Toys for Tots. If you don't need medication, donate to Toys for Tots and the winter becomes much warmer and brighter. If you hate kids and Kool Aid, try volunteering at a homeless shelter. Lots of warm fuzzies there too.

I wished my little instrument of joy would shine magical beams of light out of its sound hole,

A piezo disc and an LED, properly installed, will make light shine out of the sound hole. Cost ya about $5 at Radio Shack or $ .40 wholesale. Try it. It's magical!

but instead notes of music will drift out.

See! You're making music! You're already doing better than some of us, so there's no need to be such a Gloomy Gus.

With these notes of music, I hope to spread joy to someone.

I'm not sure how you got from there to here, but hey, run with it! Put those scissors down first though.

Anyone. Head over to the contest section to see what joy can be found.

Forget Joy. For a good time call 606-4311; ask for "Ken."

Yukon Cornelius (formerly haolejohn) wrote:
I joined this site and drank the kool aid. You know, the kool aid that the ukulele is a magical instrument. Yeah, it isn't.
... bad juju ... too much sugar ... should have gone for a diet beverage!

Joy and change has to come from within or from other living objects.
... diamonds and gold bring much joy, as does a bacon and ketchup sandwich ;)

If you can't get joy from a ukulele, try an ocarina http://www.mountainsocarina.com/b/videos/ :rolleyes:

I think all musical instruments have some magic in them. Imagine the startling fascination and wonder of the first man who created a whistle instrument out of bone or wood. You can see some of it in a child's eyes when first introduced to an instrument he can "play." Sure, you can say the magic is in the music or sound. Pythagorus and Helmholtz would probably agree with you. But the beautifully organized sound seems to come floating out of the musical instrument as if by magic. Then there's the magic of taking a mute material such as wood or brass, and by cutting, bending, gluing, soldering, turn it into something that can sing. It seems as if a basic quality has been conjured up and added to that material. It isn't the same anymore. Then there is the beauty of the instruments themselves. Symmetrical, highly polished, equipped with cleverly designed and manufactured mechanical intricacies, they stand alone as works of art. And art has always had its magical qualities, capable of inspiring great emotion in the viewer. It's so unfortunate that modern scientific man has so discredited magical and spiritual causes. Science seems to believe that by naming parts and defining processes we can ultimately achieve complete understanding of the universe surrounding us. I'm not so sure about that. I think I would always ask why the sound of a string vibrating between a nut and a saddle makes my heart yearn so. And I doubt that the names, processes, and mathematics of it would ever provide a satisfying answer.

Haole!!!!!! You were missed. I've been wondering what happened to you. Sometimes the joy jumps from the uke, sometimes it jumps back at it when you play for someone. Important thing is you are back and that gives me some joy.

I recently met a magical instrument when my friend returned from a trip to the Big Island with her Moore Bettah! It is definitely magical as are the sounds that come out of it...

I just got back from the monthly Jamboree in my village. About 18 musicians, 125 in audience. Everyone is allowed to sit in for all the sets. Today was particularly fun. Got to try out two uke songs on the open stage and I was the only banjo player there today. I didn't know what to play when. The best part was When I found myself jamming away and playing diminished chords. Two months ago when I got my uke, I didn't know what a diminished chord was. Now that's what I call magic.

We had a packed house for our regular first Saturday of the month KaraUkey Strum fest and sing along at the Fox n Hounds hotel. Loads of Ukuleles a guitar or two, good audience, good music and lots of fun. I only have to see the looks on their faces to know the magical instruments are doing their thing.

I would like to get Down Under some day and check out the uke scene, (and a lot of other things too). My wife is in the wool business so it's not a totally unlikely prospect. I'm looking for a uke club within about an hours drive of Harrisburg PA. The few ukers I know in the area are too encumbered to start a club of our own for several months minimum. But why re-invent the wheel if there's a club in the area. If any of you know about such an outfit in the Harrisburg area please post or PM me. I know about the Uke Koop in Altoona but four hours travel time just doesn't work for me.

What makes the uke magical to me is the ease of which one can learn to play. In my experience as an adult learner of music, it is 4th behind the triangle, the kazoo, and the autoharp. However, the first 3 aren't very cool...

LOL!! I needed that laugh. I like it. We once had a lady show up to a SEUker jam with the autoharp. For real. She also invited us all to a cuddle party. Ask UkeRepublic about that one.

My ukulele IS magical. Sorry to hear yours is crap.

I assume you mean like bacon. Bacon is joy. While I will admit that it technically comes from a living thing; you have to kill that living thing to get bacon. Much like ukuleles. You have to kill a tree to make a good ukulele. Hence, ukuleles are musical bacon.

You appear to be the only person suggesting that ukuleles are bad. Just an observation...

Medication helps. So does donating to Toys for Tots. If you don't need medication, donate to Toys for Tots and the winter becomes much warmer and brighter. If you hate kids and Kool Aid, try volunteering at a homeless shelter. Lots of warm fuzzies there too.

A piezo disc and an LED, properly installed, will make light shine out of the sound hole. Cost ya about $5 at Radio Shack or $ .40 wholesale. Try it. It's magical!

See! You're making music! You're already doing better than some of us, so there's no need to be such a Gloomy Gus.

I'm not sure how you got from there to here, but hey, run with it! Put those scissors down first though.

Forget Joy. For a good time call 606-4311; ask for "Ken."

completely misses the point:)

Haole!!!!!! You were missed. I've been wondering what happened to you. Sometimes the joy jumps from the uke, sometimes it jumps back at it when you play for someone. Important thing is you are back and that gives me some joy.

Thanks Phil. It is good to come back. Head over to the contest section and reply...gonna be some good prizes.

I tend to spend more time playing and practicing than posting, as well as engaging in other activities - writing, blogging, reading, a little bit of World of Tanks maybe, walking the dogs, raking leaves, playing again, baking bread, a few more strums... less time online.

I tend to spend more time playing and practicing than posting... less time online.

Yep, makes two of us. Since I work online and have frequent periods of downtime, I check in during those times. But otherwise I prefer to spend my free time as far away from electronic media as possible!

I tend to spend more time playing and practicing than posting, as well as engaging in other activities - writing, blogging, reading, a little bit of World of Tanks maybe, walking the dogs, raking leaves, playing again, baking bread, a few more strums... less time online.

Another winnah, winnah, chicken dinnah!!

Except I'm not raking leaves, or walking the dogs, or baking bread...lol.

Less time online.

Top Bottom