Strumming - I can't do it the 'standard' way

michaelphipps

Reaction score
I've tried strumming with the index finger pointing towards me. What I find is that my finger gets caught on the strings. The position feels really weird for me.

The exact problem I have is that when I strum with my index finger, is that on my down stroke, I strike the string on the side of my finger, about half way down the finger nail. Or, in some cases, If I'm strumming more towards the head end, I'll hit the neck of the guitar instead of the string.

I usually strum with the finger nails on the back of my middle and ring finger, or thumb nail (depending on the stroke direction). I'm pretty sure that there are problems I'm going to face further on unless I change to the standard strum.

Has anyone experienced the same problem strumming the standard way and been able to overcome it through some realisation of what they were doing wrong?

It's like anything else, the more you do it, the more it will feel natural to you. I had trouble strumming at first too. It just felt awkward and weird to me. All I can tell you is to find an easy song that you enjoy, and play it over and over for maybe 30 minutes or so every day. Within a couple of days, strumming will feel easier and more natural. Another tip is to try to relax your hand and your strumming finger. Don't make it stiff. Also, you want to try to strum with the back of your nail for the down stroke and the pad of your finger with the upstroke. Hope this helps a bit.

Regards,
Julie Strietelmeier
http://ukulelereview.com

Last edited:
Try alittle less pressure, I cam from guitar and had the same problem, keep practicing and youll get it.

Howlie Boy:cool:

Ok. I've just spent a fair bit of time strumming with my index finger.

I think it's just a matter of perseverance. I'm starting to understand how to do this properly. The sound I get is cleaner when I do it the right way, but it is softer than the way I was doing it.

I do occasionally hit the string with my ring finger, and my index finger occasionally hooks the A string striking it louder than the others.

I guess I want to walk before I crawl - I've played music for years but not string instruments. I just figured strumming is strumming, so I feel like an idiot because I'm not doing it right straight away.

I just want one person to say - it's ok - I had the same problem when I started. Slow down take it easy, and you'll get it.

Don't "try" too hard, if that makes sense. Sometimes concentrating on something really hard has the opposite effect and ultimately makes it harder.

Go go iamhawaii.com (you may have to make an account)

watch Aldrine's quick tip with Jake and he shows basically what the other posts said.

I don't think there really is any one correct way to strum..there is only the most popular way to strum. Watch a classical guitarist hit a chord...they strum wthout any movement in the wrist at all...it all comes from the knuckle where the fingers meet the hand, and they often do most of their strumming by "flicking" out the middle finger. Often, when a lot of strumming is required, a classical guitarist will also alternate between ring, middle, and forefinger so that no one of them gets too tired, and also to vary the sound (strumming with the back of your very strong middle finger sounds far more intense than a feathery strum with the ring finger, which is not as strong). I strum this way and find that I can strum very fast with only a little movement in my wrist, and I can really add another layer of dimension to my strumming by varing the fingers used throughout. I find this method very intuitive and very easy to connect with the instrument...it also works far more efficiently than a regular ukulele strum when you are working in some fingerstyle, as your hand/wrist is never out of position.

Last edited:
Top Bottom