Strap Button

Seems to me that the uke would tend to fall forward in that position. If it were on the side of the headstock, perhaps. But then the strap wouldn't hold. Mounting a strap button on the opposing side of the heel is very comfortable.

I'm thinking because it is easier to tie the strap on to the headstock. And what chuck said. I'm finding I prefer the tie on method on bodies smaller than tenor at least. The heel button is good on bari. Tenor I can go either way.

Placement of a strap button depends a lot on the balance point of your particular instrument so it won't have any tendency to "neck dive" while playing. Depending on the instrument it can also lead to pulling notes flat or sharp if the instrument is lightly built. In other words, YMMV.

Well, I just wondered why no one except me had thought of it. It seemed like a good idea, but it's probably been tried and rejected.

Thanks for your help. :eek:ld:

That's why I like mandolin straps for ukes.

I suspect it's because, the head stock is a weak spot structurally speaking. I've seen lots of guitars that had head stocks snapped off! Drilling in to a weak spot like that could be a bad thing. As was said above, the string does the job!

Yes, keep it simple, can't go wrong with a bit of string.
If it's the tying/untying that annoys you (for whatever reason), try this solution I found in another thread on this board.

Tie both ends of the lace at the end of your strap together to form a long loop. A simple overhand or figure-of-eight knot is OK in the first instance. Pass this loop, knot and all, under the strings between the tuners and drop the loop over a tuner knob on the far side ... job done ... works for me, and no, it doesn't seem to affect the tuning :)

Depending on design and personal preference, YMMV, but it's definitely worth a try ;)

On most Ukulele's I find friction type tuners get in the way when fretting some chords at the first fret eg: E7 chord...If there was a strap button there as well, it would be worse:(

I have a good way to tie unto the headstock. I think it's called a mandolin something, and it works all right. I was mostly just wondering. It seemed like a good idea to me

I'm gonna try using a strap like a saxophone strap on my banjoleles. Around my neck and hooked on to the top of the Uke -- we'll see.

Where there's a will . . . :eek:ld:

Last edited:
I too just purchased a mandolin strap and it works perfectly. Slide the loop under the strings just before the nut at the headstock and use the button at the bout.

I'm gonna try using a strap like a saxophone strap on my banjoleles. Around my neck and hooked on to the top of the Uke -- we'll see.
I've got something even better for banjoleles, especially that BUT - paracord. Or any small diameter cord/string/twine would work but this stuff is strong, cheap, and non scratchy. I just took a length of it, strung it underneath the hardware almost all the way around the pot, then tied a simple knot and slip over my head. It took a little experimentation to find the preferred length and where on the pot to stop stringing. Very simple.

I've got something even better for banjoleles, especially that BUT - paracord. Or any small diameter cord/string/twine would work but this stuff is strong, cheap, and non scratchy. I just took a length of it, strung it underneath the hardware almost all the way around the pot, then tied a simple knot and slip over my head. It took a little experimentation to find the preferred length and where on the pot to stop stringing. Very simple.

Yeah, you told me that before, but I think I'll try it this time. I'm not overly happy with the strap on one of my Banjoleles.

Where'd you get the para chord? I'm through with parachuting now. How about leather thongs? I got some of those.

Geronimo! :eek:ld:

On a small Ukulele, I can see the advantage of attaching the left end of the strap as far out as possible. On a larger Ukulele, I don't see anything wrong with putting the button in the traditional guitar location, on the heel of the neck. I haven't installed a button on any of my Ukuleles, but I did put one on my Yamaha Guitarlele, which is about the size of a Tenor Uke. The strap button on the heel works just fine. But the back of the headstock of a small Ukulele is pretty crowded territory. I don't think there would be room for a strap button there that wouldn't interfere with the left hand while playing.

Top Bottom