My handmade ukes from South America

Okay ..I'll bite.....what is it ? What do the three strings above the four usual ones bring ...they clearly do not appear to be fretted ...are they like a sitar ,drone strings...intrigued ...have you got a sound clip...?

I recently saw a harp guitar played in a concert, where the additional unfretted strings were used to augment finger picking. In this case, the extra strings were bass notes.
This looks a lot like it so I'm thinking it's a harp ukulele.

Last edited:
Okay ..I'll bite.....what is it ? What do the three strings above the four usual ones bring ...they clearly do not appear to be fretted ...are they like a sitar ,drone strings...intrigued ...have you got a sound clip...?

Hi CeeJay!! It is an "Harp Uke" a mix between an ukulele and harp, the three strings above is the "harp part". Exactly, the harp are not fretted, it brigs just one note per string. I have no a sound clip yet, but i should record! If you see in youtube you can find similar videos.

I recently saw a harp guitar played in a concert, where the additional unfretted strings were used to augment finger picking. In this case, the extra strings were bass notes.
This looks a lot like it so I'm thinking it's a harp ukulele.

Exactly Twenty!

Beautiful. I like how the fretboard tapers down in a curve where it meets the body. How do these woods sound? I'd also like to see some video of them being played.

Beautiful. I like how the fretboard tapers down in a curve where it meets the body. How do these woods sound? I'd also like to see some video of them being played.

Thank you! I like that datail too! I have to record a video soon. These wood sound very good ,open pore and very low dense, which produce low sounds, as much as the small box allow it.

Nice work! I can't read Spanish but it seems that these are for sale. Are the prices on the website in U.S. dollars? I think the tenor said $3000. Is that right?

Nice work! I can't read Spanish but it seems that these are for sale. Are the prices on the website in U.S. dollars? I think the tenor said $3000. Is that right?

Thank you Jim!! I am trying to make an English version these days. The prices are in "pesos argentinos": 1 dollar=8,5 pesos argentinos.

In that case, it looks like your rates are very reasonable. Good luck!

It is difficult to know the correct price, build them demand a lot of work to me. Are you from USA, is that right? How much do the ukes cost there, from entry level to solid woods by luthier?

Yes, "correct" price is hard to determine. $350-400USD for a hand built tenor is on the low end for a US-based luthier. Some others in this price range include Sailor Brand, Waverly Street, Gary Gill, and Cocobolo Ukuleles, to name a few I have seen on UU. Other luthiers charge much more. I've seen advertised prices from $400 to $4000 and more. In general, I'd say "up and coming" luthiers can charge $350-800 and well established luthiers can charge $1000 and up. These are only rough guidelines of course.

Yes, "correct" price is hard to determine. $350-400USD for a hand built tenor is on the low end for a US-based luthier. Some others in this price range include Sailor Brand, Waverly Street, Gary Gill, and Cocobolo Ukuleles, to name a few I have seen on UU. Other luthiers charge much more. I've seen advertised prices from $400 to $4000 and more. In general, I'd say "up and coming" luthiers can charge $350-800 and well established luthiers can charge $1000 and up. These are only rough guidelines of course.

Good information Jim. it´s good to know it, because here in Argentina, u$s1000 is a lot of mooney! The difference between the peso and the dollar is enormous. $8,5, is the official value, but it is limited, so people buy the dolar with 15 pesos in the streets, making the gap even bigger. As it is, they are political stuff. Thank you jim for the information.

Very nice! I've only seen one person who could play a uke harp....
Good luck with your business venture, it looks like a nicely made product!

Top Bottom