Oasis humidifier when is it time......

M3Ukulele

Reaction score
To add more crystals inside that absorb the water. I have two for both my solid wood ukulele. One now is showing signs of moisture on the outside of the blue area. This is the two year old one. Is it time to buy the $5.95 crystal kit?

That's interesting !

This will be my 2nd winter using an Oasis humidifier. I just recently filled mine up (with distilled water which I've used since buying the Oasis) and I can see the crystals right up to the bottom of the neck. If it's showing moisture on the outside and you can verify that it's not leaking then yes, I'd get the refill kit. I bought the refill kit when I bought the humidifier to qualify for a free shipping deal. The kit indicates that it's good for 5-6 refills. Rather than automatically replacing the crystals each year as suggested, I don't plan on doing it until I can see that it needs it. The dry crystals are very tiny, like grains of coarse salt.

Last edited:
My Oasis showed a little wear and tear after one Connecticut winter. I replaced the entire thing with a new one. They're not that expensive and I would rather be safe than sorry.

My first oasis was two year until now. It was devoid of crystals ( or had very little) when I cleaned it out. Got a kit for $5.95 and will fill tonight. Comment were helpful. Oasis sites says two scoop fills and three syringe fills and good with a new fill of beads. I will check out the Home Depot option next time I'm close to one. I have to Oasis now and they work like a charm. I humidfy year round as I'm in semi desert mountain area with lakes and ponderosa pines.

I did notice when beads got low, I started seeing water on the outside of the blue part. I guess that was a good indicator.
Thanks for comments

This will be my 2nd winter using an Oasis humidifier. I just recently filled mine up (with distilled water which I've used since buying the Oasis) and I can see the crystals right up to the bottom of the neck. If it's showing moisture on the outside and you can verify that it's not leaking then yes, I'd get the refill kit. I bought the refill kit when I bought the humidifier to qualify for a free shipping deal. The kit indicates that it's good for 5-6 refills. Rather than automatically replacing the crystals each year as suggested, I don't plan on doing it until I can see that it needs it. The dry crystals are very tiny, like grains of coarse salt.
Just curious here: Does Oasis recommend distilled water for their humidifiers? Distilled water is very reactive and as such could deplete the crystals more quickly. This might over humidify the uke, or maybe hydrate a dried uke more quickly.

Just curious here: Does Oasis recommend distilled water for their humidifiers? Distilled water is very reactive and as such could deplete the crystals more quickly. This might over humidify the uke, or maybe hydrate a dried uke more quickly.

The outside of the box does say that they provide a syringe to make it easier to add distilled water to the humidifier.

From the Oasis web site:

Because tap and bottled water have dissolved minerals that can clog the liner, distilled water is recommended to extend the useful life of your ukulele humidifier.

I was planning on "recharging" my 3 oasis humidifiers this season and like the idea of the HD "water storing crystals". To those of you who have used these, how much...or how "full" do you fill the oasis with the crystals? I'm worried about filling too much...having them expand and rip the case. Thanks.

I was planning on "recharging" my 3 oasis humidifiers this season and like the idea of the HD "water storing crystals". To those of you who have used these, how much...or how "full" do you fill the oasis with the crystals? I'm worried about filling too much...having them expand and rip the case. Thanks.

Hydrate them before putting them into the humidifier. Then just fill it up to the bottom of the neck.

Hi, kinda to revisit this, I DID purchase the "garden" crystals as someone else mentioned and recharged two of my humidifiers with them. I first filled to the bottom of the neck as suggested above, but then found that the "canister" wasn't shrinking like it used to as it was drying out. I then removed some of the crystals. Same non-shrinking issue. Yesterday, I checked both of them and they both looked "full" however after opening them, I found that they were basically empty. I do use hygrometers in my cases and it isn't that big of an ordeal to just open the canisters say once a week and check them, but I wonder why they're not shrinking like they're supposed to...alerting me that it's time to add more water? I wonder if there is a certain amount of crystals that should be added...allowing a proportion of the water to be absorbed AND a portion to remain as liquid?

Hi, kinda to revisit this, I DID purchase the "garden" crystals as someone else mentioned and recharged two of my humidifiers with them. I first filled to the bottom of the neck as suggested above, but then found that the "canister" wasn't shrinking like it used to as it was drying out. I then removed some of the crystals. Same non-shrinking issue. Yesterday, I checked both of them and they both looked "full" however after opening them, I found that they were basically empty. I do use hygrometers in my cases and it isn't that big of an ordeal to just open the canisters say once a week and check them, but I wonder why they're not shrinking like they're supposed to...alerting me that it's time to add more water? I wonder if there is a certain amount of crystals that should be added...allowing a proportion of the water to be absorbed AND a portion to remain as liquid?

I didn't use garden center crystals, but the Oasis refill kit. I would rely less on the shrinkage and just peek inside. The water in the humidifier should all be absorbed by the crystals.

Hi drew, you may have too many crystal in the canister. It's suprising how little it takes. Try adding water and leave the top off. If the crystals expand to the point that they are overflowing the you have too much.

Hope this helps

Top Bottom