When Two Woods Collide...

Peterjens

Reaction score
the 'ukulele usually loses. I picked up my 1949 vintage Martin 3M and while moving to the couch the back of the 'uke hit the corner of a coffee table. Oh well, I now have a vintage Martin with a new gouge and a number of years from now I will have a vintage Martin with a vintage gouge.

So as my signature reminds me...

at least it was serious. sometimes the dings add character... still it stinks, sorry.

It can be fixed. Post a picture and description in the Tech Support.
It might be a good idea to post in the Luthiers Lounge or contact CF Martin - maybe they will honor the lifetime warantee.

Well, at least it wasn't a brand-new uke. The first ding seems to hurt the most. After that, eh.

About three weeks after I bought my best uke to date, a glossy Kala tenor cutaway, solid cedar/acacia, I was carrying it around the rehearsal room slung behind my back, when suddenly the strap fob attached to one of the tuner pegs slipped off and the uke crashed to the hard linoleum floor. CRAP!, cracked the glossy finish on the top edge of the lower bout and the top corner of the headstock. I've since added a strap button to the neck heel so it will not happen again. I resigned myself to accepting it as making my uke unique to any other of the same model out there.

A drop story, not a uke story. As our gig was about to start, I thought my strap was attached to my Taylor 814, but it was not. The guitar fell flat on its face. Broke through the gloss on two places at the bout. But the biggest damage was to the headstock down to the first fret. A crack!! I almost cried when I found it at the start of our third set.

I brought my guitar to Guitar Tex, clearly the best luthier in San Antonio. He took one look at the crack and said, as far as cracks go this was a good one. He said I wouldn't even see the glue or the crack when he was done. Lucky for me there was no internal damage to bracing, electronics, etc.

When I picked up the guitar a week later, he was right. He did a great job on the bout, and the crack. And since this guitar is a player that has done >500 gigs, I know that all of these bumps, repaired cracks, etc. just add to the sound, history and mystique of the guitar.

Sorry about you bumping your uke. Hope it adds to the mystique like it did for my guitar.

Top Bottom