For Sale - Trashed Kala Travel Tenor

Charley

Reaction score
My Kala Travel Tenor, six months old, was accidentally stepped on (in the bag), and now it's not fixable. Well, I guess it is fixable but my luthier says it'll cost more to fix it than to replace it.

So, if you have some use for a wrecked Kala Travel Tenor (parts, maybe fixing it yourself if you have those skills), it could be yours. Make me an offer. The Kala padded bag is included.

The first two photos below show the damage; the other photos show that it is, indeed, a Kala Travel Tenor.

I'm in the L.A. South Bay area, so if you're local you can pick it up from me. Or we can figure out shipping.

Thanks!

Charley

2014-11-04 18.31.55.jpg2014-11-04 18.31.20.jpg2014-11-04 18.34.22.jpg2014-11-04 18.33.21.jpg2014-11-04 18.33.35.jpg

I think Dan (dhoenisch) would be interested! He took two defective Lanikais off my hands and fixed them up to give away to disadvantaged kids in the school system... give him a ring, maybe!

No electronics in this model. It looks salvageable by a someone with some wood skills not necessarily a luthier.
I would agree with not spending money on having a professional repair it. Good luck with whatever you or the next person does with it.

Sorry about your uke Charley, I sent you a PM...

Charley asked me to show him what I did with this uke, so here is the glue up. The neck block was broke free of the back and the sides were cracked and split away near where the neck joins as well. Likewise the binding around the back was broken in this area. Proper repair would be a near rebuild of the entire instrument. However, everything could be brought tightly together, so I worked glue under the neck block from inside the body, then into all the cracks from outside and then using some balsa cauls to protect the finish, clamped it up. I'm pretty sure the structural integrity will be restored and frankly you need to look pretty close to see evidence of the damage. Still haven't restrung it. Stay tuned for updates. Oh, by the way, I'm planning to offer this as a prize in our clubs annual Uke-A-Palooza event. Again, Charley I am sorry for the accident and hope you are strumming again! I'll let you know how it holds tune soon.
image.jpgimage.jpg

Top Bottom