Aqualele

bigphil

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with the plastic Bugsgear Aqualele? I saw the ad for them on this site and checked around a bit. The reviews I've found vary a good deal. Most agree they look like what you might expect for the price, some though thought the furnished strings were great while others recommend throwing them away immediately. On intonation, same deal, some rated it very high while others say not so good. Anyway, I'm tempted to check them out to have a travel uke on hand, at about 70 bux with case, shipped sounds tempting.

Anyone have one?

Mim sells them, so I'd get one from her, it will definitely be playable.

throw the strings, as fast and as far as you can, they are horribly unstable. intonation is good on them. String spacing a bit narrow and action up the frets a bit high for my taste.

they may be big for travel and are heavy too. depends on what "travel" means to you. I got a sopranino for slightly less with case that very easily fits in my carryon.

Last edited:
throw the strings, as fast and as far as you can, they are horribly unstable. intonation is good on them. String spacing a bit narrow and action up the frets a bit high for my taste.

they may be big for travel and are heavy too. depends on what "travel" means to you. I got a sopranino for slightly less with case that very easily fits in my carryon.

I'm mostly concerned about damaging my "better" ukes when hauling them around. I wouldn't be concerned about conking one of these about outdoors. Air travel is not a great concern. I've also played a couple different sopraninos which are getting REALLY small for my fat fingers, and I wasn't crazy about intonation with either of those I played either.

Mim sells them, so I'd get one from her, it will definitely be playable.
I also did see that Mim sells them but I found a less expensive alternative and I can do the set up myself so minimizing the investment is of more concern to me.

Thanks everyone for your insights.

Last edited:
I have been toying with the idea more for change in temperature issues while traveling than for water resistance.

Mim has a great video of her Mimions with the Aqualele on her eBay site. Uke Republic is offering them with Aquila or LaBella strings.

Well I hadn't expected that... Julie wants to just GIVE one to me. THANK YOU very much Julie. I'm continually amazed by the kindness and generosity that flows from the global ukulele community. I will indeed, pay it forward Julie! Thank you again!

That's so cool. Being given a uke feels great! I also have 2 Aqua's and I quite like them. Left one in the car all summer day and night. A little lifting of the bridge but still plays good. Both of mine have good intonation. They do sound plastic but I don't mind :)

I've got the review unit I was sent in the spring - I left it in the car all summer, and it got pretty hot. I'm waiting for the freeze cycle to hit us, so I can complete the evaluation.

Many people have played it, and the general consensus is that the Bugsgear sound a lot better when you hear it played, than when you play it yourself.

Stu Fuchs played it for a little while at the Old Songs Festival in Altamont, NY last summer. He said it was far more comfortable than he expected from a plastic uke.

The unit I was sent was poorly finished - mostly glue marks, and a few rough spots specifically, but it is a solid instrument. I don't really like the strings, but that's an easy fix.

(And I wish the color was something other than orange.)

-Kurt​

So, as far as a travel-hardened camping/beach uke, how does a set-up Aqualele with upgrade strings compare to a set-up Makala Dolphin/Shark with upgrade strings? Anyone get their hands on both?

Thanks,
Rand

(haven't set up a signature yet, but so far I've got a Lanikai S-C, a 1940 Supertone soprano, and a somewhat-modified Goldtone Banjolele of unknown vintage)

I just got the new Kealoha all plastic off Amazon and I think it blows away the Aqualele :) I haven't even changed the strings yet. It was 45.00 bucks!

Top Bottom