Guess who got a Fender Uke!

BUGOY

Reaction score
got it today, took it home and changed the strings to D'addarios... wow! what a difference! I got the "NOHEA" version (KOA laminate). this thing is gorgeous! ok enough talk.. heres some pictures!

Abalone Binding:
FenderUke01_1.jpg

Rosewood fretboard: (neat grain to it yea?)
FenderUke02.jpg

Telecaster Headstock: (i love it, i dont care what you say..haha:p)
FenderUke03.jpg

i got it at Guitar Trader on Clairemont Mesa blvd. Got a decent deal on it! Its my new favorite place:D. they sell a few Kalas and Makalas also. they had the solid mahogany fender but i wasnt really impressed by it aesthetically. side by side you would think the koa laminate was the $300 uke. Sound wise though, they were great! :music:

Looks good! I'd love to try a few of these sometime. Hopefully they show up in stores around here soon.

Guitar Emporium in Louisville, KY, had one the last time I stopped by. Sounded good - comparable to others that cost much less, IMO.

aesthetically? damn, big words, little brother! hahaha

so yah, let me just say, i was the biggest skeptic of these ukulele. i thought to myself "oh no, fender is jumping on the bandwagon and just getting the leftovers from china that nobody else wanted, and just put their name on it"... i was wrong. well at least for this particular model.

i could not find one bad thing about this ukulele... even the price! and when i finally saw it in person... i loved the headstock! hahaha. now, if you want a bright as the sun, punchy ukulele, get a solid koa one. but if you are looking for that happy medium between a super warm almost dull badly done laminate, and a bright solid spruce top, this is it. the notes just fall into place with each other when you play a chord. there is no difference in tone when you press it up against your chest to play, or if you hold it out. might be from the arched back. the aesthetics, as my brother mentioned, are beautiful. there are no electronics built in, but i would rather have it that way so i can pick and choose my own.

as far as the solid mahogany ones with the pup installed for $300, i wasnt impressed. i prefer the tone of my makala over the fender in that aspect. only this model got me. im jealous.

there is no difference in tone when you press it up against your chest to play, or if you hold it out.

This comes from the fact the the back wasn't built to resonate. A builder will sometimes put as much attention into the back as he will the sound board in order to get as much sound out of it as possible.
Congratulations on your new purchase!

thanks everyone! i havent been able to put it down. the more the new strings settle, the better it sounds. dont judge a new uke by its stock strings...haha!

compared to my much more expensive Kala Koa(laminate) Tenor, the fender wins in all aspects. the Kala's action had to be adjusted to my preference, the fender's action was perfect to begin with. Intonation on the Kala could be better, Intonation on the Fender Is better. I Love this thing! i just HOPE the UAS stops here. ... hah, who am i kidding! :shaka:

This comes from the fact the the back wasn't built to resonate. A builder will sometimes put as much attention into the back as he will the sound board in order to get as much sound out of it as possible.
Congratulations on your new purchase!

is that a good thing or a bad thing? just curious. since i noticed the arch in the back, that was basically what i was thinking. wouldnt be able to vibrate as much as a flat board. its got decent volume though. and overall just impressive, considering its a laminate, too.

but reason im asking is... i see where the attention to detail on the resonation of the back comes into play. so is there any advantage to arching the back in such a manner? is it just a way to get more sound out of the instrument since it is made of laminate? just trying to understand why the extra work of bending the wood in such a manner would be beneficial over a flat, more resonant back... and how it ties in together with the fact that its a laminate construction.

i hope you dont mind me picking your brain a little. i just always wanna learn more, and your reputation says i should listen. hehe.

So THAT'S what that headstock shape is called. The uke my family had when I was growing up had a headstock like that (wasn't made by fender though) and I always kind of wondered what it was called.

Anyhoo congrats on your uke!

Top Bottom