PDA

View Full Version : Guess who got a Fender Uke!

BUGOY
02-24-2009, 08:32 PM
got it today, took it home and changed the strings to D'addarios... wow! what a difference! I got the "NOHEA" version (KOA laminate). this thing is gorgeous! ok enough talk.. heres some pictures!

Abalone Binding:
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a223/bugoyreyes/FenderUke01_1.jpg

Rosewood fretboard: (neat grain to it yea?)
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a223/bugoyreyes/FenderUke02.jpg

Telecaster Headstock: (i love it, i dont care what you say..haha:p)
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a223/bugoyreyes/FenderUke03.jpg

BUGOY
02-24-2009, 08:35 PM
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a223/bugoyreyes/FenderUke06.jpg

Vintage style Tuners:
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a223/bugoyreyes/FenderUke07.jpg

Back:
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a223/bugoyreyes/FenderUke08.jpg

Front:
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a223/bugoyreyes/FenderUke09.jpg

Pippin
02-24-2009, 09:10 PM
http://www.tricornpublications.com/images/new_uke.jpg

I hope it lives up to your expectations.

HoldinCoffee
02-24-2009, 09:14 PM
:rock:Hey sweet! Itsa nice uke! :rock:
Can I borrow it?

BUGOY
02-24-2009, 09:25 PM
I hope it lives up to your expectations.

for less than $200, it exceeds my expectations! :shaka:

ricdoug
02-24-2009, 09:47 PM
Where'd 'ya get it, Bugoy? I played a couple of the Fender's at Giacoletti Music in Carlsbad, California and they all sounded like champs! Ric

BUGOY
02-24-2009, 10:52 PM
i got it at Guitar Trader on Clairemont Mesa blvd. Got a decent deal on it! Its my new favorite place:D. they sell a few Kalas and Makalas also. they had the solid mahogany fender but i wasnt really impressed by it aesthetically. side by side you would think the koa laminate was the $300 uke. Sound wise though, they were great! :music:

HaileISela
02-24-2009, 11:26 PM
oh dammit, that's one gorgeous Uke!:music:

hawaiianmusiclover06
02-24-2009, 11:32 PM
That is one gorgeous uke! Congrats!

100percenthapa
02-25-2009, 03:27 AM
Congrats on a gorgeous uke!

GX9901
02-25-2009, 03:35 AM
Looks good! I'd love to try a few of these sometime. Hopefully they show up in stores around here soon.

Stackabones
02-25-2009, 04:46 AM
Wow! That is hot! Great pix!

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n236/Stackabones/GoatKid-2.jpg

UKISOCIETY
02-25-2009, 06:16 AM
Guitar Emporium in Louisville, KY, had one the last time I stopped by. Sounded good - comparable to others that cost much less, IMO.

wickedwahine11
02-25-2009, 06:21 AM
Really beautiful. Congratulations.

generem
02-25-2009, 07:07 AM
Damn.. I really like those tuners...

Good looking Ukulele... Now how does she sound:D

We need samples

NukeDOC
02-25-2009, 07:09 AM
aesthetically? damn, big words, little brother! hahaha

so yah, let me just say, i was the biggest skeptic of these ukulele. i thought to myself "oh no, fender is jumping on the bandwagon and just getting the leftovers from china that nobody else wanted, and just put their name on it"... i was wrong. well at least for this particular model.

i could not find one bad thing about this ukulele... even the price! and when i finally saw it in person... i loved the headstock! hahaha. now, if you want a bright as the sun, punchy ukulele, get a solid koa one. but if you are looking for that happy medium between a super warm almost dull badly done laminate, and a bright solid spruce top, this is it. the notes just fall into place with each other when you play a chord. there is no difference in tone when you press it up against your chest to play, or if you hold it out. might be from the arched back. the aesthetics, as my brother mentioned, are beautiful. there are no electronics built in, but i would rather have it that way so i can pick and choose my own.

as far as the solid mahogany ones with the pup installed for $300, i wasnt impressed. i prefer the tone of my makala over the fender in that aspect. only this model got me. im jealous.

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
02-25-2009, 07:19 AM
there is no difference in tone when you press it up against your chest to play, or if you hold it out.

This comes from the fact the the back wasn't built to resonate. A builder will sometimes put as much attention into the back as he will the sound board in order to get as much sound out of it as possible.
Congratulations on your new purchase!

BUGOY
02-25-2009, 07:34 AM
thanks everyone! i havent been able to put it down. the more the new strings settle, the better it sounds. dont judge a new uke by its stock strings...haha!

compared to my much more expensive Kala Koa(laminate) Tenor, the fender wins in all aspects. the Kala's action had to be adjusted to my preference, the fender's action was perfect to begin with. Intonation on the Kala could be better, Intonation on the Fender Is better. I Love this thing! i just HOPE the UAS stops here. ... hah, who am i kidding! :shaka:

NukeDOC
02-25-2009, 07:37 AM
This comes from the fact the the back wasn't built to resonate. A builder will sometimes put as much attention into the back as he will the sound board in order to get as much sound out of it as possible.
Congratulations on your new purchase!

is that a good thing or a bad thing? just curious. since i noticed the arch in the back, that was basically what i was thinking. wouldnt be able to vibrate as much as a flat board. its got decent volume though. and overall just impressive, considering its a laminate, too.

but reason im asking is... i see where the attention to detail on the resonation of the back comes into play. so is there any advantage to arching the back in such a manner? is it just a way to get more sound out of the instrument since it is made of laminate? just trying to understand why the extra work of bending the wood in such a manner would be beneficial over a flat, more resonant back... and how it ties in together with the fact that its a laminate construction.

i hope you dont mind me picking your brain a little. i just always wanna learn more, and your reputation says i should listen. hehe.

khrome
02-25-2009, 08:37 AM
So THAT'S what that headstock shape is called. The uke my family had when I was growing up had a headstock like that (wasn't made by fender though) and I always kind of wondered what it was called.

Anyhoo congrats on your uke!

MisoHappy
02-25-2009, 08:40 AM
(got this on wikianswers :D)

Nohea is a Hawaiian name. What does it mean?

It means handsome or lovely.

Like Nohea Gallery, or Nohea English Cocker Spaniels...

Or that fender ukulele that I am now dying for...

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
02-25-2009, 08:49 AM
Arches are incorporated for strength. Some of the best ukuleles will have an arch in the top and a compound arch on the back, we call these radiusses. The advantage to building with a radius is that because a curved surface is much stronger along it's axis than a flat surface, a top or back can be built quite a bit thinner and therefore able to vibrate more freely. When I mentioned spending attention to the back of an ukulele I was referring to adequate thinning in order to get it to act as a secondary, albeit minor, sound board as well. Many builders or manufacturers ignore this but when the back is properly thinned and treated I can achieve an increase in volume of perhaps 20%. My job is to get as much of the sound box to vibrate as I can, not just the sound board. Watch some of the better players play, the uke is never held tightly against the body.
My intention is not to dig Fender. I'm very happy their in the game, it's good for all of us and I wish them great success. It just seemed like there was a misconception that an ukulele was better if it sounded the same if held against the body of away from it. The exact opposite is true. These are generalities of course and there are exceptions to everything.

liquid_wind
02-25-2009, 11:35 AM
Why is your intention not to dig fender?

How is the sound I have been looking at the Kala mangoes and others for a more mellow sound, how does your compare?

NukeDOC
02-25-2009, 11:37 AM
Why is your intention not to dig fender?

How is the sound I have been looking at the Kala mangoes and others for a more mellow sound, how does your compare?

i think what he was implying what that he didnt want to bash on fender.

BUGOY
02-25-2009, 12:15 PM

I have never played or really heard a mango kala in person to able to compare the two. but i think nukedoc described it the best when he said "if you are looking for that happy medium between a super warm almost dull badly done laminate, and a bright solid spruce top, this is it." I Will record a sound clip or maybe even a video! (ME? a video? haha!)

BUGOY
02-25-2009, 12:21 PM
one more pic! :D

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a223/bugoyreyes/DSC_0004_2.jpg

BruddahMark
02-25-2009, 12:57 PM
Yeah Berny,

Cuz Nice........ !

Beat yah though.... HaHA
After testing it at the NAMM show in January. Fender sent me one to play & review. It's the "Pa'ina" model-made of solid mahogany with a passive pick-up.

First thing I did too was replace the original strings. I put some Aquila's on it cause I didn't have time to put my strings of choice on and let them settle in before the gig. And I'm not sure yet if thats the string I will keep on it.

Anyway,
I have been playing it off and on live during a few songs at our gigs. It's a fun uke to play and the sound is not to bad either. Of course you cannot compare it to a higher end ukulele either. It seems the solid mahogany will season well once I keep playing it more to get the sound out.

No the ukulele is not set-up professionally the way I would want it to be. But I'm pretty picky and when I have the time I am going to do some modifications to make it more bettah for me.

In general, I would say it's a pretty cool, fun uke to play and the telecaster headstock is the bomb. It blows away people that are Fender guitar affcionados. No wonder I believe it's aimed towards guitarists who want to take up the uke. The neck feels good in my hands and I wouldn't be scared to take it out to the beach or let someone test it out.

One thing you can count on is. This is the first year "Fender" is making them. If they keep making them or not, first year issued Fender Stratocaster are worth how much? So for you UAS collectors this is a sure bet and you get a cool litle Fender ukulele.

Below is a video of our first time seeing it at the NAMM show 2009 if you haven't already seen it. I did mention laminate tops in the video but the one DS is demonstrating is the "Pa'ina" model.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUUxqKogcWs&eurl=http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewProfile&friendID=439965921&feature=player_embedded

Here is a photo of me playing it (thanks to UU Ke Leo) on stage at Sainte Rock in Hermosa Beach the night we opened up for Pau Hana.

http://s120.photobucket.com/albums/o167/markouke/?action=view&current=SainteRock.jpg

Arvin, Berny, BJ. I am bringing it down to Seau's tonight if you want to play around with it.

Enjoy!

BUGOY
02-25-2009, 01:38 PM
Bruddah Mark! hah, i was waiting for you to jump in!... and yes, BJ told me about you getting a mahogany uke for testing.. you lucky sunuva.. haha!

i didnt even think about the whole "first year" thing either! fantastic! haha! :shaka:

Uke Republic
02-25-2009, 01:49 PM
Just heard your music, BRAVO!

GX9901
02-25-2009, 03:44 PM
One thing you can count on is. This is the first year "Fender" is making them. If they keep making them or not, first year issued Fender Stratocaster are worth how much? So for you UAS collectors this is a sure bet and you get a cool litle Fender ukulele.

Oh great...like I need "another" reason to buy "another" uke.:p

thejumpingflea
02-25-2009, 03:49 PM
Oh great...like I need "another" reason to buy "another" uke.:p

I am RIGHT there with you man..... damn UAS....

Lori
02-25-2009, 04:29 PM
I saw a Fender uke at Charles Music Store in Glendale California last week. I got to play it and was very impressed. The abalone inlay was stunning, and the wood looked beautiful. The action was good, and it sounded pretty good too. The sales guy couldn't put it down after I tested it. He was obviously impressed too. The Fender head was not my style, so in the end, I went with a Kala Mango Tenor. But the Fender impressed me!

Congrats
Lori

DeG
02-25-2009, 04:58 PM
I want one with a locking headstock and a whammy bar:D

Nice aquisition, Bugoy!

Regster
02-25-2009, 09:26 PM
Guitar Emporium in Louisville, KY, had one the last time I stopped by. Sounded good - comparable to others that cost much less, IMO.

just checked out some guitar at guitar emporium earlier n they still have it, they have that thing since i bought the flea uke at the emporium which was two weeks ago.

ka0tikguy
02-25-2009, 09:46 PM
very nice uke. i love the feeling of having a new ukulele.

ricdoug
02-25-2009, 10:43 PM
So THAT'S what that headstock shape is called. The uke my family had when I was growing up had a headstock like that (wasn't made by fender though) and I always kind of wondered what it was called.

Anyhoo congrats on your uke!

It's a "Tele" headstock, just like the signature Fender Telecaster guitar, Khrome. Tele's have a traditionally thin sound, but the tenor Fender ukes have a much richer harmonic vibe. Ric

mmanalo
02-26-2009, 06:53 PM
Bugoy loven da uke bro...I like da headstock too! I was thinking of getting the solid mahogany and slappen some aquillas on it! I'm hoping Guitar Trader has em!

BUGOY
02-26-2009, 10:18 PM
I'm hoping Guitar Trader has em!
they sure do! i think they had at least 2 or 3 on hand. there was only one koa laminate... well there WAS one. hehe! :music:

UkuLeLesReggAe
02-26-2009, 10:27 PM
for less than $200, it exceeds my expectations! :shaka:

less than $200!!?? they got a website?? ;)

ricdoug
02-26-2009, 10:39 PM
less than $200!!?? they got a website?? ;)

YUP!

http://www.fender.com/ukes

UkuLeLesReggAe
02-26-2009, 10:53 PM
^ wow, how easy. thanks!

Ukulele Hau'oli - u cant buy it?

Russian_Dingo
02-27-2009, 05:12 PM
I especially love the rosewood fretboard. :)

mmanalo
02-27-2009, 07:02 PM
they sure do! i think they had at least 2 or 3 on hand. there was only one koa laminate... well there WAS one. hehe! :music:

Sweet, I'm rollen thru tomorrow wit da posse to check it out! Thanks!

geoffsuke
02-28-2009, 02:09 AM
(wolf whistle) that is hot, love the inlay, congrats:nana:

kansaman
03-20-2009, 03:49 PM
ugh!!! I'm really torn now, I ordered the Fender Concert Pa'ina but the Fender Nohea looks really nice in your pictures, better than the stock photos. Am I getting any advantage to getting the solid mahogany vs. the laminate??? I might have to get both, lol.

I guess I'm going to answer part of my own question, part of the extra cost is for the passive electronics on the Pa`ina model and the solid body, lol, so I'm thinking of getting both. Jeez, I'm just starting to play the uke and I'm already collecting them!