Out of tune on G chord...What's going on?

cua94

Reaction score
I am trying to figure out why my uke is sounding so bad on my G chord. I has been fine until this week! I have a Kala concert (see below) and I did drop it a couple of weeks ago but this just started. Do I need new strings? Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Third fret E string and open G string is the G note. A quick intonation test chord. Play the G's together when tuned. Waver?

you have an electronic tuner? For debugging they are super handy! I'm very pleased with the reverb.com tuners, 3.99usd shipped.

Yes, when I try different Gs together it is out of tune. Also, the tuner tells me it is out of tune. I just want to know why and what to do about it. It was fine last week but now...yikes!

The first thing to ask is did you tune it? If not well strings stretch and change with temperature and humidity tuning before playing should be done on a regular basis.

Well the KA CEM has geared tuners... so if you tune it and it keeps going flat its not like its a loose friction tuner. How many times does the string wrap around the post? If its wrapped over itself it can cause tuning issues.

My KA SEM came with Aquilas on it, I changed them over to Aquila reds and will never go back.

Another thought you're off an octave on that one string?

~good luck

EDIT: Forgot to ask of the damage from dropping the instrument where did it take damage?

Last edited:
It was the neck that was hit on a table and I think it loosened the screw in the nut. I think I will just play it safe and take it in for a check up. Thanks for everyone's suggestions!

I have a few loose screws myself!

What you suggest cannot hurt and is likely the best solution. If you're good with your hands if the tuner is loose its easy enough to tighten it back up. I'm a tinkerer but I also fully understand if you are not one to ever grab a wrench its easier if not better to pay a pro. This just sounds too easy.

Do you know another ukulele player in your area that might give it a once over?

parts-of-the-ukulele.jpg

It the whole tuner loose?

Attachments

• parts-of-the-ukulele.jpg
    parts-of-the-ukulele.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
How long did you have you strings, change them fairly inexpensive test. Eliminate the cheapest solutions first

Top Bottom