I Am NOT a Music Snob!

JJFN

Reaction score
Good Evening Everyone, I like all types of music, from the classics to rap. Tonight while messing around I started playing some jazz tunes. I have to say these are some beautiful melodies with lush chord changes. Again I am not a snob. However when you compare some pop/rock tunes to jazz, they just don't stand up. As beautiful as the simplicity of a tune like Yesterday is, play Come Rain or Come Shine and see the difference. I guess what I am trying to say is that there is beauty in all genres of music, from the simple to the complex tunes. Also playing jazz tunes on my Kamaka Bari, low g, with Southcoast LL-NW's really helps. That's my rant for tonight. Have a great night. Dirk, you can send the check to my home address. LOL LOL!!

I too am a lover of many genres, simple to complex and am also struck by the beauty of some more complex jazz-based pieces and some old-timey songs with their pretty diminished chords. I haven't played much Jazz on my uke, but now that you mention it, I'm going to break out my bari and start with "Come Rain or Come Shine". thanks

I bring you a quote from Tad Williams.

“A teenage girl creaming while she listens to some boy-band, a monk digging on the God he hears in Gregorian chants, or John ****ing Coltrane himself climbing up into the sky on a staircase made of sixteenth notes, it's all the same. If it takes you there, it's good.”

Anyone who does not agree with that fits my definition of a music snob.

You asked for this when you posted.

I bring you a quote from Tad Williams.

“A teenage girl creaming while she listens to some boy-band, a monk digging on the God he hears in Gregorian chants, or John ****ing Coltrane himself climbing up into the sky on a staircase made of sixteenth notes, it's all the same. If it takes you there, it's good.”

Anyone who does not agree with that fits my definition of a music snob.

You asked for this when you posted.
I totally agree with Waterguy and I am a music snob. Everyone should be allowed to enjoy the types of music they enjoy, without having to hear kvetching about the types of music the other person doesn't enjoy.

I'm a snob.

If it is too loud, I don't like it.

If it is too quiet to hear, I don't like it.

If the words are so garbled I can't understand them, I don't like it.

If it is Opera, and involves a Soprano or Tenor solo, I generally don't like it.

If it is tedious and boring and repetitive, well ... you get the picture.

But Peter Schickele always quoted Duke Ellington as saying "If it sounds good, it is good." That's why I support Opera on my local NPR station- Just because I don't care for something is no reason for it to not be heard. I'm a snob, not a censor.

-Kurt​

This year I have really loosened up and am listening to newer pop/dance that I never would have considered in the past. I count on the seasons for inspiration also.

Still can't figure out why anyone would listen to Bruno Mars music but to each their own. Just not my groove. I could look at the bright side and at least it is not as bad as "Anaconda". Thankfully just about all of my music that I listen to is on demand or my private collection, so will never hit that link again out of curiosity...

Sorry, gotta disagree. There is an assumption here - more complexity/nuance = better.

That certainly doesn't mean that jazz, or any other music, isn't good. But to say that a 3 chord (or 2 chord) song cannot be a rich, meaningful and fulfilling experience is just wrong.

If that's not what you were saying, my apologies in advance.

However when you compare some pop/rock tunes to jazz, they just don't stand up. As beautiful as the simplicity of a tune like Yesterday is, play Come Rain or Come Shine and see the difference.
You chose one song in the Beatle library for your argument. Lennon and McCartney wrote many complex songs. A google search "technical analysis of Beatles songs" lists many results. The first hit for me was "Hard Day's Night" and it contains multiple paragraphs on just the opening chord that is familiar to many.
BTW, Sir Paul pays homage to early popular music and jazz on his Kisses on the Bottom album. His father, it is reported, was a jazz bandleader and was influential to Paul. A Rolling Stone article wrote the following - "McCartney’s writing always had old-school flavor: "When I’m Sixty-Four" and "Martha My Dear" evoked vaudeville; "Yesterday" echoed Nat "King" Cole’s style." Give the album a listen if you haven't heard it.

Last edited:
Typically when you start any sentence with I am not a ". " means you are. Hahaha

If you can quickly figure out any three chord song, any four chord song, any twenty chord song, and reharmonize any song and write a counter-melody in a variety of styles, then perhaps you are entitled to prefer music that is more challenging, or you might just like the beauty of something simple. Might depend on your mood.

A gentleman tends to be discreet in forwarding his tastes; don't you think?

Sorry, gotta disagree. There is an assumption here - more complexity/nuance = better.

That certainly doesn't mean that jazz, or any other music, isn't good. But to say that a 3 chord (or 2 chord) song cannot be a rich, meaningful and fulfilling experience is just wrong.

If that's not what you were saying, my apologies in advance.

I agree with this one. And the Tad Williams quote above too.

We certainly all have tastes and things we prefer, but I think it would be rather boring if we all liked the same thing.

Someone once told me Coldplay is so good because their music is so complex. You know, it might be complex. But to me it's boring as all buggery. More complex doesn't make it more interesting. Well, unless you're into that sort of thing. Tori Amos's Me and a Gun is incredibly strong and moving and has no music at all. Probably not much chop as an instrumental though.

i'm hella a music snob. i hate all that wak s**.

Well, you got Ukelele snobs ...you might as well bring on the music snobs......

What makes me laugh about this is that the music could not give a flying four letter word...it's all about people and their attitudes toward other people ....sad really..

and to just lighten the mood.......Jazz...a music art performed to about three people using hundreds of chords........Rock/Blues/Pop ..a music art performed to hundreds of people using three chords......:biglaugh:

Here's another ...make one mistake whilst playing ..nobody may notice....make the same mistake twice , whoops, you may have been noticed ,do it again and call it jazz.....

Rich Hall "A Jazz ensemble sounds like a Blues Band playing whilst falling down the stairs".........

..and I actually do like a bit of Jazz now and again......not necessarily to play on the uke....Dougf can do that and I'll listen.....:eek:

Good Evening Everyone, I like all types of music, from the classics to rap. Tonight while messing around I started playing some jazz tunes. I have to say these are some beautiful melodies with lush chord changes. Again I am not a snob. However when you compare some pop/rock tunes to jazz, they just don't stand up. As beautiful as the simplicity of a tune like Yesterday is, play Come Rain or Come Shine and see the difference. I guess what I am trying to say is that there is beauty in all genres of music, from the simple to the complex tunes. Also playing jazz tunes on my Kamaka Bari, low g, with Southcoast LL-NW's really helps. That's my rant for tonight. Have a great night. Dirk, you can send the check to my home address. LOL LOL!!

I think this was the really important line perhaps ??:biglaugh:

When you make broad assumptions like "...compare some pop/rock tunes to jazz, they just don't stand up." and state you're not a snob, you kind of are.

A good piece of music will transcend time, genres and players. Listen to Van Morrison's "Brown Eyed Girl" and then listen to Everclear's version. Listen to the version of Metallica's "Master of Puppets" from the S&M album, specifically the breakdown in the middle; most of that was grabbed off the original recording. To get really current, listen to the Postmodern Jukebox cover of "All About that Bass."

There are definitely "clunkers" out there, but you can find those in every genre and in every era. There was a lot of music I listened to in my Music History classes in college that, when compared to other more popular works of that time, was apparent why they didn't last. But broad generalizations are just that.

Here's a scraper for the doo doo you just stepped in:

------]

Afraid I AM a music snob. I think Barbara Streisand sings flat a lot of the time. It makes me clench my teeth. I think all of Frank Sinatra's stuff from middle age onward just stinks. I actually try to get away from it. I firmly believe that Post Modern Jukebox's move from New York to Los Angeles is going to ruin the group. Dennis Brain is still the only Horn player I care to listen to. And, I get more out of listening to Iz's recordings than I do from Jake Shimabukuro's. Maybe i just have particular tastes in music. Being classically trained, I can appreciate and understand complicated music. But, my childhood was in New Mexico, and I learned to love music listening to country being played out Jukeboxes in the bars my parents would frequent. Back then, they allowed kids in those places. I still think Patsy Cline is best female vocalist I've ever heard.

I think all of Frank Sinatra's stuff from middle age onward just stinks.

Thank God it is not just me then ....sorry ..I think he was better actor than a singer...some songs he nailed ...some he nail gunned .......

Top Bottom