PDA

View Full Version : Martin 3K Tenor

strumsilly
11-05-2014, 02:52 PM
these look kind of "nice", like the old sopranos. pricey, but so are all of Martins 3k.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Martin-Custom-Shop-3K-Tenor-Ukulele-/251702699181?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a9aa664ad

PeteyHoudini
11-05-2014, 03:19 PM
Never heard of these new 3k custom ones before. Already for sale on eBay? Strange days.

Petey

janeray1940
11-05-2014, 03:25 PM
Already for sale on eBay? Strange days.

The seller is a shop in Honolulu (a pretty good shop, at that!) - my guess is they're trying to reach the international/collector market with this one.

PeteyHoudini
11-05-2014, 03:46 PM
The seller is a shop in Honolulu (a pretty good shop, at that!) - my guess is they're trying to reach the international/collector market with this one.

Comprendo. I guess I would really like to hear some sound bites and check out the action height. Those things matter the most. I will be in Honolulu at the end of Feb.2015, so if this beast is still in the shop after an international exclusion, I will give it a quick review and post it to YouTube while on vacation. 8-)

Petey

bonesoup
11-06-2014, 01:13 AM
Hey Petey I've watched your Martin videos, enjoyed them, and even learned something. Just wanted to say merci!

coolkayaker1
11-06-2014, 02:17 AM
I once owned (and, stupidly, sold) a Kiwaya Master Class 3K replica, tenor-sized instrument. It is the highest end instrument they make. New it was one thousand dollars less that the eBay Martin, and had much nicer Koa. Much.

While the Martin name carries some value in the vintage category, I think it does not in the new Martins.

Seeing that M3KT on eBay at PuaPua makes me feel even more regretful for selling the Kiwaya.

RichM
11-06-2014, 02:30 AM
Many will disagree with me (and that's fine!), but with so many really talented luthiers creating Style 3 replicas (and variations) (Laughlin, DaSilva, Talsma, etc.), often at much lower prices, I would be more inclined to work with one of these fine fellows than buy a production ukulele from Martin. As ridiculous as it might sound, I don't think Martin is the best builder of Martin-style ukuleles right now. :)

PeteyHoudini
11-06-2014, 12:57 PM
Hey Petey I've watched your Martin videos, enjoyed them, and even learned something. Just wanted to say merci!

De rien, de nada, bitte, you're welcome! I'm still working on my Martin 3 tenors review but I got a terrible cold that put me down for two weeks!

Petey

PereBourik
11-06-2014, 01:03 PM
Many will disagree with me (and that's fine!), but with so many really talented luthiers creating Style 3 replicas (and variations) (Laughlin, DaSilva, Talsma, etc.), often at much lower prices, I would be more inclined to work with one of these fine fellows than buy a production ukulele from Martin. As ridiculous as it might sound, I don't think Martin is the best builder of Martin-style ukuleles right now. :)

I own a T2K and always have my eye open for a C1K. But it's like Martin is building Martin copies. Good instruments, but not distinctively special.

PeteyHoudini
11-06-2014, 01:21 PM
I own a T2K and always have my eye open for a C1K. But it's like Martin is building Martin copies. Good instruments, but not distinctively special.

I own a T2K and a C2K. I've played the C1K before as well in a music store in Toronto. I decided pretty quickly that the C2K was much better, though I wouldn't knock the C1K. I have the T1K and it's nice. I really need to try out some more tenor ukes when I will be in Hawaii so I can feel the difference with the Martin tenors.

Petey

ukegirl
11-06-2014, 02:01 PM
Nice, but that is a lot of cash!

PeteyHoudini
11-06-2014, 02:35 PM
Nice, but that is a lot of cash!

Indeed, even Petey has his cash limits on buying new Martins! LOL hehe

Petey