Martin 3K Tenor

Never heard of these new 3k custom ones before. Already for sale on eBay? Strange days.

Petey

The seller is a shop in Honolulu (a pretty good shop, at that!) - my guess is they're trying to reach the international/collector market with this one.

Comprendo. I guess I would really like to hear some sound bites and check out the action height. Those things matter the most. I will be in Honolulu at the end of Feb.2015, so if this beast is still in the shop after an international exclusion, I will give it a quick review and post it to YouTube while on vacation. :cool:

Petey

I once owned (and, stupidly, sold) a Kiwaya Master Class 3K replica, tenor-sized instrument. It is the highest end instrument they make. New it was one thousand dollars less that the eBay Martin, and had much nicer Koa. Much.

While the Martin name carries some value in the vintage category, I think it does not in the new Martins.

Seeing that M3KT on eBay at PuaPua makes me feel even more regretful for selling the Kiwaya.

Many will disagree with me (and that's fine!), but with so many really talented luthiers creating Style 3 replicas (and variations) (Laughlin, DaSilva, Talsma, etc.), often at much lower prices, I would be more inclined to work with one of these fine fellows than buy a production ukulele from Martin. As ridiculous as it might sound, I don't think Martin is the best builder of Martin-style ukuleles right now. :)

Many will disagree with me (and that's fine!), but with so many really talented luthiers creating Style 3 replicas (and variations) (Laughlin, DaSilva, Talsma, etc.), often at much lower prices, I would be more inclined to work with one of these fine fellows than buy a production ukulele from Martin. As ridiculous as it might sound, I don't think Martin is the best builder of Martin-style ukuleles right now. :)

I own a T2K and always have my eye open for a C1K. But it's like Martin is building Martin copies. Good instruments, but not distinctively special.

I own a T2K and always have my eye open for a C1K. But it's like Martin is building Martin copies. Good instruments, but not distinctively special.

I own a T2K and a C2K. I've played the C1K before as well in a music store in Toronto. I decided pretty quickly that the C2K was much better, though I wouldn't knock the C1K. I have the T1K and it's nice. I really need to try out some more tenor ukes when I will be in Hawaii so I can feel the difference with the Martin tenors.

Petey

Top Bottom