Who Uses A Humidified Display Cabinet?

VegasGeorge

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I searched this topic and found a number of old threads. Unfortunately, all the attachments are invalid now. So, a lot of the valuable information (A picture is worth a thousand words!) is missing. I'm seriously considering getting one of those expensive guitar cabinets. But, before I do, I'd like the benefit of your collective wisdom. If anyone here has experience with humidity controlled cabinets, please speak up!

Last year I converted a book shelf to a humidified display shelf, came out very well with the humidity pretty steady from about 40% to 65%. It has a small analog hygrometer and two water trays at the bottom that I fill and open or close covers as the humidity rises or lowers.

1 Shelf.jpg

Last edited:
Wickedwahine11 (Stacie) has (or had) one. It was extremely nice. I'm sure if you PMd her, she would send you pics.

I definitely need to save this thread for later.

I no longer use it because I moved from a drier humidity area to a higher one. But this was what it looked like. I kept a hygrometer and a couple of humidifiers inside of it, and bought it from UU member Harold O.

image.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Stacie. That's a nice little cabinet. Was it custom built or converted? I've already got seven fine quality Ukuleles that need protection, and I'll undoubtedly get a few more. So, I'm going to be needing something larger, probably a standing floor cabinet with staggered multi level hanging. But I can see design elements that look good in the one you had.

Thanks Stacie. That's a nice little cabinet. Was it custom built or converted? I've already got seven fine quality Ukuleles that need protection, and I'll undoubtedly get a few more. So, I'm going to be needing something larger, probably a standing floor cabinet with staggered multi level hanging. But I can see design elements that look good in the one you had.

It was custom built. The doors are plexiglass and I think it was actually made to hold three or four ukes but I hung them at an angle to fit those. My spouse stained it to match some other furniture so we bought it from Harold unfinished. The only other thing I did was make a cushion below so the ukes would not swing freely, they had something to rest upon.

It was a lifesaver - I kept one hygrometer inside and one on my desk. It was routinely 20% humidity in my office and 45% in the cabinet. Since I don't use it anymore, it is just wrapped up and stored in the crawlspace under the house. But it worked great when I needed it.

Last edited:
For the price of the pre-made high end guitar cabinets I've seen, I would probably choose instead to have someone custom build exactly what I want. It might even be cheaper.

But it's tough to spend money on a ukulele cabinet when that money could be spent on... ukuleles.

Or you could go down to the antique shop and find a stackable barrister bookcase that would hold quite a few ukes.

I no longer use it because I moved from a drier humidity area to a higher one. But this was what it looked like. I kept a hygrometer and a couple of humidifiers inside of it, and blight it from UU member Harold O.

Stacy's post last year of her cabinet inspired me to make the bookshelf.

I use a humidified cabinet but it has solid wood doors not glass so ukes aren't on display. I keep them in their cases, in the cabinet, with a couple of damp sponges and a remote readout hygrometer. And no, it's not too much trouble to pull one out of the cabinet then out of its case.

I shopped around both online and in person (and read all the posts and reviews on this and other forums) and finally decided I liked the look of the display cabinets from Case Sensitive best. One could also work with a local builder and save on shipping, but I am very pleased with the build quality and delivery of my cases. I was able to work directly with the owner of the company to custom design a cabinet for my different instruments (guitar and dulcimer in addition to ukulele.) The hanging system is unique and flexible. It came just in time for winter when I really need the humidification and so far is working great to keep the instruments at 50%.http://www.guitarcollectorshowcase.com

Last edited:
Top Bottom