Does my uke suck?

Yeah, I didn't think it was too bad until i was jsut reading on Ukuelehunt.com about how he thought ovation ukes were garbage. I jsut didn't know if it was a lot different from a regular ukulele. thanks for input!

I think it has its merits. Lots of local guys here use them because of their built in pick up system.

I have played them in stores. They're not bad. Not the greatest acoustic sound, but better than some "traditional" designs.

Like the other poster said, just enjoy it 'cause it is what you have.

check out the band opihi pickers i think the lead singer guy plays it. and he likes to pick little solos in and out of the songs, i think they are great.

aldrine plays the tenor scale tho, this model is the soprano. but still should be good. Remember if u like it don't let anyone else bring u down. haha and "Once u go tenor you'll settle for no lesser"

by the way i forgot to add these applause ukulele's sell like hot cakes at my local music store. I actually wish i would've been able to play a tenor one.

Last edited:
I'm not a fan of those Applause soprano ukes, but even I think they are very decent ukes. The only reason I didn't really like them is due to the neck profile. It's got kind of a "V" profile and I thought it was uncomfortable to hold since my left thumb is always on the back of the neck.

Love what you have, its a beautiful uke...

Its not the instrument, but the musician behind it.

Howlie Boy:cool:

How can you think that it's a bad instrument? it's not a toy you bought at walmart. It plays music, so how can it be bad?

There's absolutely nothing wrong with those. I'm not as fond of the sound of them because of the non traditional soundholes, but as an acoustic electric it rocks because you get less feedback issues if you amp. In the end, it just wasn't rock and roll enough for me. :D Both my ukes are cheapies in the scheme of things and made in China. I still love em.

yeah, your right haha. i shouldn't care what someone else said about it, thanks for the backup!:D

bro its fine, my uke is an Lu-21T lmao but im fine with it for just now... until i have more money then ill buy something better, but dont go out and spend 1k on a ukulele.

Practise and get better on this particular uke then buy a better one

bro its fine, my uke is an Lu-21T lmao but im fine with it for just now... until i have more money then ill buy something better, but dont go out and spend 1k on a ukulele.

Practise and get better on this particular uke then buy a better one

my moto is improve your uke along with your ability so i agree totaly with UkuLeLesReggAe

I recently bought a Applause (the Soprano sized with the pick up), and I really like it. The look is beautiful in my eyes. Yeah its not the common Ukulele-look and I know fans of traditional ukuleles will dislike it, but still, a new look isn't always bad, right? Didn't test the pick-up yet, because the Honeytone, mini-amp is still on its way, but I heard good things about the electronics, made by ovation. Furthermore, though the top is not massive spruce, the uke is still loud enough in my ears. Yeah it's not as loud as my wonderful brueko ukulele, but still loud enough and the tone is warm and soft.
It's really an awesome instrument.

Still testing which strings fit the best. Any suggestions? I'm not exactly a fan of Nylon, though. At the momment there are some Aquilas on it.

yeah its not too bad and yeah i like that motto upgrade as you get better haha this is my first uke and i got it so i can plug it in if i ever do anything more with it, im getting used to it and learning on it so its all good

The electrnoics in the smaller applause you have is far inferior to the one Ophiki Picker's uses His is a tenor with good active electronics from Ovation the smaller sopranos only have passive systems which are no where near the quality of electronics on the tenors. Remeber to compare apples with apples... The tenors make fine stage instuments although plain acoustically I feel they are lacking

Last edited:
Yeah, I didn't think it was too bad until i was jsut reading on Ukuelehunt.com about how he thought ovation ukes were garbage.

Has Al been poisoning minds again? If you like it, don't listen to what others say. Individuality is key to being splendidawesome. I think Woodshed doesn't like ovations because they're tacky looking. I think they look snazzy.

Top Bottom