PDA

View Full Version : Does my uke suck?

DylanHess
02-29-2008, 04:53 PM
Hey i have an Applause Ovation UAE20
I've heard that its garbage and an impersonation of a ukulele, is this true? It's my first uke so i cant really tell the difference between it and other ones. Here's a pic of it http://images.misupply.com/products/full/Applause%20by%20Ovation/25154.jpg

thanks =D

uber_goober
02-29-2008, 04:59 PM
Hey man, as long as you like your instrument that's all that matters. It's not what you play, but how you play it.

DylanHess
02-29-2008, 05:02 PM
Yeah, I didn't think it was too bad until i was jsut reading on Ukuelehunt.com about how he thought ovation ukes were garbage. I jsut didn't know if it was a lot different from a regular ukulele. thanks for input!

studentaccount1
02-29-2008, 05:33 PM
I think it has its merits. Lots of local guys here use them because of their built in pick up system.

I have played them in stores. They're not bad. Not the greatest acoustic sound, but better than some "traditional" designs.

Like the other poster said, just enjoy it 'cause it is what you have.

Ukulele_Junkie
02-29-2008, 05:39 PM
check out the band opihi pickers i think the lead singer guy plays it. and he likes to pick little solos in and out of the songs, i think they are great.

Dino
02-29-2008, 06:31 PM
hey.....Aldrine plays one......and hes the king of kings when it comes to the uke!

Ukulele_Junkie
02-29-2008, 06:35 PM
aldrine plays the tenor scale tho, this model is the soprano. but still should be good. Remember if u like it don't let anyone else bring u down. haha and "Once u go tenor you'll settle for no lesser"

by the way i forgot to add these applause ukulele's sell like hot cakes at my local music store. I actually wish i would've been able to play a tenor one.

GX9901
02-29-2008, 06:43 PM
I'm not a fan of those Applause soprano ukes, but even I think they are very decent ukes. The only reason I didn't really like them is due to the neck profile. It's got kind of a "V" profile and I thought it was uncomfortable to hold since my left thumb is always on the back of the neck.

Howlie Boy
02-29-2008, 07:16 PM
Love what you have, its a beautiful uke...

Its not the instrument, but the musician behind it.

Howlie Boy:cool:

mossyoak
02-29-2008, 08:17 PM
How can you think that it's a bad instrument? it's not a toy you bought at walmart. It plays music, so how can it be bad?

HypodermicMD
02-29-2008, 08:19 PM
There's absolutely nothing wrong with those. I'm not as fond of the sound of them because of the non traditional soundholes, but as an acoustic electric it rocks because you get less feedback issues if you amp. In the end, it just wasn't rock and roll enough for me. :D Both my ukes are cheapies in the scheme of things and made in China. I still love em.

DylanHess
03-01-2008, 04:10 AM
yeah, your right haha. i shouldn't care what someone else said about it, thanks for the backup!:D

UkuLeLesReggAe
03-01-2008, 06:28 PM
bro its fine, my uke is an Lu-21T lmao but im fine with it for just now... until i have more money then ill buy something better, but dont go out and spend 1k on a ukulele.

Practise and get better on this particular uke then buy a better one

ukeboypat
03-02-2008, 04:12 AM
bro its fine, my uke is an Lu-21T lmao but im fine with it for just now... until i have more money then ill buy something better, but dont go out and spend 1k on a ukulele.

Practise and get better on this particular uke then buy a better one

my moto is improve your uke along with your ability so i agree totaly with UkuLeLesReggAe

bof
03-02-2008, 05:19 AM
I recently bought a Applause (the Soprano sized with the pick up), and I really like it. The look is beautiful in my eyes. Yeah its not the common Ukulele-look and I know fans of traditional ukuleles will dislike it, but still, a new look isn't always bad, right? Didn't test the pick-up yet, because the Honeytone, mini-amp is still on its way, but I heard good things about the electronics, made by ovation. Furthermore, though the top is not massive spruce, the uke is still loud enough in my ears. Yeah it's not as loud as my wonderful brueko ukulele, but still loud enough and the tone is warm and soft.
It's really an awesome instrument.

Still testing which strings fit the best. Any suggestions? I'm not exactly a fan of Nylon, though. At the momment there are some Aquilas on it.

NukeDOC
03-02-2008, 05:23 AM
hmm i happen to be playing one in this video. so you tell me if you think it sucks...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daviqTiINLw

i actually liked it. a lot. but soprano is just not the scale i prefer.

DylanHess
03-02-2008, 05:56 AM
yeah its not too bad and yeah i like that motto upgrade as you get better haha this is my first uke and i got it so i can plug it in if i ever do anything more with it, im getting used to it and learning on it so its all good

ricdoug
05-31-2008, 11:26 AM
Mine has superb intonation, low action and nice neck relief. I use Aquila Concert strings on mine, as they wake up the sound. The adamas holes help reject feedback, when amplified, Ric

MGM
05-31-2008, 11:44 AM
The electrnoics in the smaller applause you have is far inferior to the one Ophiki Picker's uses His is a tenor with good active electronics from Ovation the smaller sopranos only have passive systems which are no where near the quality of electronics on the tenors. Remeber to compare apples with apples... The tenors make fine stage instuments although plain acoustically I feel they are lacking

Jimmy
05-31-2008, 11:50 AM
Yeah, I didn't think it was too bad until i was jsut reading on Ukuelehunt.com about how he thought ovation ukes were garbage.

Has Al been poisoning minds again? If you like it, don't listen to what others say. Individuality is key to being splendidawesome. I think Woodshed doesn't like ovations because they're tacky looking. I think they look snazzy.

SailQwest
05-31-2008, 12:42 PM
We have 2 of the Applause Sopranos (one with p/u, one without) and an Applause Tenor.

We took them with us to New Mexico last hurricane season. They are still there. We left them behind in storage and only brought back our Bushman Jennys (concert and tenor cutaway, both with pick-ups). There wasn't anything wrong with them...we just really preferred the Bushmans.

Basically, if you're happy with your ukulele, and you play it, it's a great instrument for you!

tHeDirTyJoHnSon
01-30-2009, 11:08 PM
I'm the proud owner of a Five-O,Soprano Ukulele,,WTF,, yeah,, its one of the cheapest peice's of s@#t that ever left the doors of a wallmart store,
i didnt even buy it (i found it,the original owner did'nt even want it),
But i love the thing,, its my most favored instument,, Five-O Rocks,, maaaann
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=TN7BdycOw1o

Pippin
01-30-2009, 11:22 PM
The Re-entrants and lots of other performers out there use the Applause ukes. The passive electronics have an advantage in the soprano size since they don't use a battery. MGM is right, the tenor's electronics are active and sound better, but at that size, the battery is no problem.

The Applause sorpanos in question is a solid spruce top, but, it does not vibrate like a solid wood instrument due to the back and the "Adamas" holes. They do open up in time, as RicDoug has pointed out in the past. But, still, they won't win any awards for loudness. They are soft-voiced.

I do like the action on the one that I had, but I gave it to our advertising man at Ukulele Player magazine. He used to play a lot of hard rock and he is really enjoying the Applause.

bornagainjeeper
01-31-2009, 07:00 AM
I've got one...the UAE20 in the red/black fade....I was hoping for a little more when i got it...never had the chance to play one live just asked for it as a gift from my parents. Its awful quiet really, but i do like the trebley tone it has. My biggest complaint with it is the intonation is pretty bad....you can have a perfectly in tune Am7 and then play and A7 chord at the fretted note is almost 20 cents sharp...its a beast to dial in...but its major plus is that it sounds great plugged in, in my opinion much better than most electric only ukes because of the acoustic component, and better than acoustics turned electric. They are reasonably inexpensive so it makes a good uke if you need to be amped someplace. A week after i got it i started shopping for a replacement though, donations can be made to me....

experimentjon
01-31-2009, 08:50 AM
My first experience with an applause was a soprano with pickup. And I thought it was the coolest thing ever, since my friend put it through a multieffects pedal and it made pretty good sound. Plus it had a cool design and felt pretty good when I played it. But I didn't have too much time on that, and play much more no my tenor uke. And I'd have to say that it is a pretty good instrument.

bbycrts
01-31-2009, 09:16 AM
If this is the only one you have, don't worry - you'll have more soon enough. I'm new to the ukulele and already have 2 with a third on the way - I'm acquiring enough to have a ukulele in every location I spend any kind of time in, I guess... :D UAS will be the death of me, I can feel it... (And as others have said, if it sounds good to you and you enjoy playing it - then it's great!)

Ukuleleblues
01-31-2009, 10:44 AM
When I started playing uke the first thing I noticed is that the players weren't into the manufacturer of the axe but rather on PLAYING. I really liked that.

I play guitar also and some of the snobbery (is that a word?) is funny. Crappy guitar players playing over priced Martins and looking down their nose at other players. Bo, play the shit out of that Applause, or Makalo or 5K Martin or whatever. If you like it, that is what is important.

I played a real expensive Tenor the other day, never played one that cost that much, great god it sucked....don't let others tell you what is good or bad.

UKE on!!!!!!!!!!!

ricdoug
01-31-2009, 11:43 AM
If anyone bases their impression of the Appaluse UAE20 after playing it less than 6 months, they've not played it long enough to open up. My black stained one has been played steady for about a year and a half and I get offers to sell it every week. Ain't gonna' happen! LOL! This baby's SWEET! My cherryburst one's about 4 months now and is starting to open up. I'll prolly' get another one after it fully opens up. Ric