Which K brand sells the most ukes?

Sales? Don't have a clue. But I know as of 2012, KoAloha produced between 3,500 and 4,000 ukuleles.

Definetly not Ko'olau, they really operate more like a custom shop.

My guess is Kamaka, 100 years a good head start and you cant even find much new Kamakas at local shops compared to how many Koalohas and Kanileas are on there walls. Most Kamakas must be ship overseas to Japan ASIA.

I would have to guess Kamaka...

Very interesting. I found this thread that suggests uke sales are strong across the board.

I'm sure that's true. I got my information directly from the head luthier of KoAloha when we toured the factory that year. If I had the opportunity to tour the other factories while I was there, I would've asked them the same question. Alas, my family only had 3 days in Honolulu, as we boarded a ship for a cruise from there after that.

The reason I chose to tour KoAloha as opposed to any other, is my family has a special bond with the Okamis, and it was one of my life's wishes to meet them face-to-face.

After touring Kamaka, KoAloha and Kanile'a, Kamaka makes the most ukes. They are much more automated than the other two. Fred Kamaka proudly pointed out their specially designed machines that make the necks and bend the sides and how behind they got in filling orders when one of them broke down.

I'd then say KoAloha is second with Kanil'ea in third place, based on factory size, the number of ukes in racks in various stages of completion and the number of employees I saw.

Fist-bump, fellow KSM-02 owner. I didn't know Kamaka had more automation. Huh. Thanks for your educated guesses. One day I'll get back to Oahu and take these tours myself..

Kamaka produces about 5000 per year, not sure of the sales numbers. They're very likely the number one Hawaiian uke manufacturer.

Top Bottom