Traditional styling

Rllink

Reaction score
I have been looking at some custom ukes on the internet. A lot of them have very interesting styling. Some look like mandolins to me, although I don't know much about mandolins, so that doesn't mean much. But there just a number of different shapes with sound holes punched in every conceivable corner. I have to say though, that I like the traditional hourglass style the best.

Me too! I'm pretty traditional, actually took me almost 3 years of playing to even consider anything other than Koa or Mahogany. Hourglass shape with sound hole in the center always works for me. Of course someone recently revived the Polkalele thread and I wouldn't mind one of those...;-D

What? You're not putting this one on your gift list:

http://www.theukulelesite.com/juke-a-lele-tenor-ukulele-2.html

I'm certainly okay with -- and even like -- sound holes somewhere other than the middle and alternative materials (big fan of Blackbird) but I have yet to see a novelty Uke that didn't make me raise an eyebrow. I know it works for some folks and some may even sound amazing, but about all they do for me is make me raise an eyebrow or two.

Nah, if I was going to get all crazy like that, I think I'd go for an Aero-Uke repro. Although it looks like it would be awkward as heck to play.
Oh wow, I'm a pilot. I've never seen one of those. I love it, but I'm not going to spring for one. Airplanes are airplanes, ukes are ukes.

I used to be a figure eight, center soundhole person myself. This was reinforced when I got a cigar box ukulele. While I like it, it doesn't fit my body, I have a hard time holding it- think wet bar of soap. But the design that has grown on me of the offset sound hole on a figure eight body, as used by Chuck Moore or a Kasha uke. I prefer the aesthetics of the soundhole at the top of the Uke rather than the bottom in playing position. I also like soundhole designs, like a hibiscus or the Hawaiian Island chain, etc.

Top Bottom