Vintage Johnny Marvin Tenor (Concert) Ukulele- Restored $400

aaronckeim

Reaction score
Hey Folks- This is a vintage Johnny Marvin tenor ukulele, top of the line for Harmony in the the 20's-30's. It is really a beefy concert sized uke by modern standards and will appeal to any collector/player who is looking for a nice wide fingerboard and beefy neck. It has a great vintage sound (loud but with sustain) with nice playability.

These were made with top quality materials. All figured mahogany with a nice sunburst and white celluloid binding. I added a new bone nut, new Gotoh geared tuners and new fluorocarbon strings.

The finish is checked, hazed and lightly scratched throughout. It is in good condition for it's age, but has been used as normal for it's age. There are a couple of small tight back cracks but no top cracks. I had to reglue the bridge to the proper location, it is tight. I cut the bridge and saddle down in order to get the action low enough as well. Action is .100, which is a little high for my standards, but low for these old ukes. I find it comfortable and easy to play. It only has 12 frets, so there is no need for super low action at the saddle to access your 17th fret bar chords anyway! ;)
Please email info@thebeansprout.com with questions. Please don't message me here.
$400 plus shipping.
more pics and video to come.
IMG_9185.jpgIMG_9185.jpgIMG_9186.jpgIMG_9187.jpgIMG_9188.jpg

more pics.....

Attachments

• IMG_9189.jpg
    IMG_9189.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_9190.jpg
    IMG_9190.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_9191.jpg
    IMG_9191.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_9192.jpg
    IMG_9192.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 20
Looks pretty nice!

I've been wanting to try those geared tuners.

Nicely done. I would add that these have very nice, slim necks. Somebody will enjoy!

This does not have a slim neck. it is wide and thicker than normal. someone with big hand or needs more space for fingerpicking would LOVE this.

My apologies for the mis-information and confusion. I did not see where Aaron had indicated it has a thick neck. The Johnny Marvin I owned (see signature) had a nice, slim neck. I thought they would be consistent across this model range.

My apologies for the mis-information and confusion. I did not see where Aaron had indicated it has a thick neck. The Johnny Marvin I owned (see signature) had a nice, slim neck. I thought they would be consistent across this model range.

They where consistent - the neck on the earlier model with the airplane bridge is identical - I guess nice and slim is relative to the size of your hands.

Best Concert i have ever played -

image.jpg

I have a JM like this one - and I'm very happy with it.... I got it because it has that "old-timey" look to it that I needed to fit in with performances I do, and because it was concert sized. I was very pleasantly surprised that it sounded so good!!!
When I first got it the neck profile took some getting used to - it is both thick and thin ie: it goes from thinish near the nut to thickish near the body, but I can't put it down now. It feels great, and has a kind of bluesy sound to it.
If I didn't have one I'd jump on this.

JM neck.jpg

Yup, Strumdaddy's JM neck looks the same as mine. I'm just used to a different neck shape I guess. I don't want to over emphasize this issue, though, it feels great to play. I just imagined that somebody with big hands who has problems playing concert ukes and smaller may appreciate this one. Especially because of the wider nut width.

Top Bottom