Sad day for my ukes.

Bao

Reaction score
Just when I came home from an exam, I thought I'd relieve myself with some calming ukulele. But the saddest thing of all happened: Not one but two of my ukuleles developed problems!

1. My Lanikai SMP which I've had for 4 years without a problem (except the initial cracked due to shipping), has started to crack. Probably because I brought it outside for the first time in a while when it was also extremely hot and humid out.

2. My Luna 8 string's bridge has started lifting up recently as well. The topboard has slightly lifted where the bridge is too.

Anyway, this is just a warning to all other aussies out there to watch out for the weather.

On a side note: A little glue in between the cracks/under the bridge and clamping it for a bit while the glue sets should do the trick, right?

Boo. :(

You might have to go buy a new one...

I'll keep my fingers crossed the weather doesn't affect mine too much. Failing that, I saw some plastic ukes the other day...

I did a search on the Lanikai which came up with your original thread back in 2011. Buying a Lanikai SMP-TCA, any comments on it?
Sad to hear what you are going through now. Is it not repairable?

I left a guitar in a hot car once, when I was young and completely wrecked it, so I have been very conscious of what heat can do to any instrument ever since.
I would have said yes to the glue and the clamping but hopefully a luthier well chime in with some advice.

Yo Bao, try giving that monkey pod some moisture. My concert SMP developed a crank but resealed itself with lots of humidifiers ( a uke spa day!) . Hopefully it will heal itself.

Good luck

Sabantien: I actually have a custom that's shipping to me now so I'm not TOO fussed about my uke getting a crack! :)

KaraUkey: Yeah, it's repairable (Thank god). I'll give it a few days as Vanflynn said. I guess it's a sign that I should really buy a humidifier for my solid wood ukes.

Vanflynn: That's cool, I'll try it out. Thanks Van!

Top Bottom