Hello from Jakarta, Indonesia.

bangjampang

Reaction score
Hi there, my name is Pat from Indonesia, glad to join this forum :)

i got no background whatsoever in music aside my parents did forced me on piano and violin lessons for couple of years during my childhood and i remember how much i despised it then (and how much i regret it now, that i didn't continue...)

flash forward 30 years to 3 weeks ago, wife showed me this youtube video of a father playing ukulele with his daughter and we both immediately agreed that ukulele looks like a great way to introduce music for our future child. Straight away went to the nearest music store, no ukulele sold...after 4 stores, we found a music store that have several Mahalos on display, wife picked the yellow smiley face design one. Got home and download some ukulele learning apps and start learning.

stumbled on UU about two weeks ago, registered and following the 101 class from then on.

i found this forum is incredible source of knowledge and the general atmosphere here is very positive! :)

Welcome to the forum.
One of my favorite videos is the daughter and dad singing "Tonight You Belong to Me" during fireworks.
Have you swapped out the stock strings on the Makala with Aquillas yet?

Welcome to UU, Pat. I thought I'd mention Islander ukes are made in Indonesia. I know your country is huge with a thousand islands, so I don't know know if the workshop is near you though. But in any case, ukes for kids are a great idea. My little boy is still too young for them but he likes listening to me play.

Welcome to UU Pat!
thanks, campbell

Welcome to the forum.
One of my favorite videos is the daughter and dad singing "Tonight You Belong to Me" during fireworks.
Have you swapped out the stock strings on the Makala with Aquillas yet?
Thanks, Peterjens. That is exactly the video i saw! the store didnt have any Aquilas, but they sell D'addario titanium strings, so i change to that instead, sounds much better than the default strings. maybe i'll hunt for some aquilas in my town.

Welcome to UU, Pat. I thought I'd mention Islander ukes are made in Indonesia. I know your country is huge with a thousand islands, so I don't know know if the workshop is near you though. But in any case, ukes for kids are a great idea. My little boy is still too young for them but he likes listening to me play.
thanks, bonesoup! Didn't know that Islander ukes are made in Indonesia, i know Mahalo got their factory opened in Java somewhere.
Ukes are quite scarce here in Indonesia, no speciality store for ukes in Jakarta yet (biggest town in Indonesia) and the general music store here just display Mahalos.
I guess compared to Singapore, Malaysia and Thailand, Indonesia kind of left behind in ukes fever. I have browsed Ukulelemovement, Ribbee, etc and drooled over their selection haha.
There is a ukulele specialty luthier in another town called pelem ukulele, guess once i got a bit better, i might order 1 from them.

Top Bottom