PDA

View Full Version : How should it fit in it's case?

Jessmn
11-07-2014, 10:08 PM
When I bought my Kala KA-KCG Koa Concert Slothead Gloss from HMS, I ordered a Oahu hardshell case for it. I don't travel with it, am just protecting it from my own clumsiness in my small apartment.

While the case is great, the ukulele fits extremely snugly and I'm wondering if that will cause the gloss finish to rub off.

The uke sits on top of the opening when I place it in the case, and I have to push it firmly down to get it inside. Is the friction/rubbing bad for it?

I'm thinking of selling this case and buying a canvas covered UkeCrazy case like I have for my soprano and my tenor. They are much looser in the case, which is probably bad for traveling but perfect for what I need the case for.

Thanks for any help.

Phluffy the Destroyer
11-08-2014, 01:21 AM
Just so I'm clear on this... Basically, you could just put it on top of a towel in an otherwise empty drawer and have a perfect, worry-free solution?

VegasGeorge
11-08-2014, 02:33 AM
My new Kamakas fit snugly. I actually have to push them down into the padded cases. I doubt that Kamaka would provide cases like that if they thought it would be a problem. But for overall protection, I don't see where a little more room would be a problem either. As long as the Ukulele is protected by a soft inner lining, and a hard outside shell, I think you're good to go.

DownUpDave
11-08-2014, 04:19 AM
I have a Pono with a Ko'olah case and it is the very same super snug fit as you describe. Just like Vegas George's Kamaka these cases are made for the instruments. I can't see it causing a problem with the finish but if it really bugs you then get the Uke Crazy canvas hard foam case. I have three of those and the ukes are loose in them but work just fine with a towel in the bottom to take up the slack.

Rllink
11-08-2014, 04:42 AM
When I bought my Kala KA-KCG Koa Concert Slothead Gloss from HMS, I ordered a Oahu hardshell case for it. I don't travel with it, am just protecting it from my own clumsiness in my small apartment.

While the case is great, the ukulele fits extremely snugly and I'm wondering if that will cause the gloss finish to rub off.

The uke sits on top of the opening when I place it in the case, and I have to push it firmly down to get it inside. Is the friction/rubbing bad for it?

I'm thinking of selling this case and buying a canvas covered UkeCrazy case like I have for my soprano and my tenor. They are much looser in the case, which is probably bad for traveling but perfect for what I need the case for.

Thanks for any help.I would think that the chances of scratches would be greater if it was loose in the case and sliding around a lot. That said, evidently you don't haul it around a lot, so I'm guessing that would not be the case either. You could just get a cardboard box and put it carefully inside that if you wanted. Personally, I just wouldn't worry about it. So what if it gets a scratch or two? If you play it, eventually it is going to get scratched anyway.

Patrick Madsen
11-08-2014, 05:03 AM
The case is new. It should stretch out after a while and loosen up. Mine did the same thing; still fits snugly but not like it was when the case was new.

Jessmn
11-08-2014, 07:06 AM
Thanks! I'm leaning towards getting the UkeCraxy case, I just wince every time I get my uke out or put it back. My ukes sit on the floor next to our couch and only leave my apartment when I'm going to a SUPA song circle, or STRUM get together...just a few times a month. If it wasn't my gloss one I wouldn't worry so much...

Nickie
11-10-2014, 03:22 PM
All I can say is a loose fitting pair of shoes will give you blisters....no matter how glossy they are...