Douglas fir neck blank

gspears

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I saw on a tonewood site, an offering for a Doug Fir neck blank. Anyone have any experience using this wood for a neck? I always thought Doug fir was a softer wood. I've seen it used as soundboards. But the website also has back and sides for sale as well? Should I use a carbon fiber rod in the neck like I use on a spanish cedar neck? Not sure what to do. Here is the listing info: Douglas fir Neck Blank, Salvaged Fine Grain Old Growth, Excellent Tap Tone, Multiples Available, Photo is Representative. Each Approximately 2" x 3.5" x 19"

Here's an interesting page listing relative strength/hardness for many types of wood. Unfortunately Spanish Cedar isn't there, but based on Douglas Fir specs relative to the mahogany listed there, I don't see why it wouldn't work. Hopefully someone with more experience with Douglas fir will chime in. I just (as in a couple of days ago) carved an archtop from some Douglas Fir, and that's all the experience I have with it.

http://workshopcompanion.com/KnowHow/Design/Nature_of_Wood/3_Wood_Strength/3_Wood_Strength.htm

EDIT: also, Douglas Fir is considered dimensionally very stable.

Last edited:
Top Bottom