FS/FT vintage Supertone soprano & unmarked banjo-uke

Status
Not open for further replies.

river_driver

Reaction score
Here we have a couple nice old ukes I've decided to part with. Both are playable in the academic sense, but need some work to realize their potential - and that's something I don't see my busy (or is that lazy?) self getting around to.

The Supertone is from the mid-1920's (I think), wonderful mahogany with lovely rope binding and rope soundhole rosette. This is probably the most lightweight uke I have ever held. Original bakelite button friction tuners. Short (but typical for the time) 13 inch scale. No seam separations in the body. There are four hairline cracks in the top - three below the bridge, and one running from the soundhole toward the treble side shoulder, close to the neck (couldn't get pictures with my crappy camera). All of them are tight and show no signs of movement. Sides and back are crack free. Has an assortment of minor scratches, scuffs, and small dings, just like any other 90 year old. The neck joint needs to be reglued, or otherwise stabilized; however it is doing all right with strings at full tension (gCEA tuning). On the bridge, the slot for the A-string is worn, but holds just fine if you tie a big enough knot.

The soprano banjo-uke is unmarked - on the back of the headstock is the remains of a "Standard Approved" sticker, which maybe suggests a 1930's Harmony build? I could definitely be wrong there. The only other manufacturer marking is on one of the pieces of hardware, which says "WMP co." which I believe is Waverly Musical Products, who supplied banjo hardware for just about everybody. I'm pretty sure everything on this is original, except for a modern bridge (and obviously the strings).

Photo11081105.jpgPhoto11081103.jpgPhoto11081103_1.jpgPhoto11081106.jpg

I know what I've got tied up in these, which honestly isn't all that much, and I'm not really expecting to turn a big profit, if any. But I also don't want to lowball myself. So I'm going to say, "Make me an offer," and we'll see where it goes from there.

Please keep in mind shipping costs - I'm in the US (Ohio). Payment by Paypal. Feel free to hit me with trade offers.

PM sent on BJ

Once again beat out by another mystery person who couldn't be bothered to mention they were interested as I.

Of course waiting 24 hours to hear this didn't make it any better.

Is it too much to ask people if you are interested to say you've sent a PM? Then again who knows eh?

~enjoy~

Last edited:
Once again beat out by another mystery person who couldn't be bothered to mention they were interested as I.

Of course waiting 24 hours to hear this didn't make it any better.

Is it too much to ask people if you are interested to say you've sent a PM? Then again who knows eh?

~enjoy~

I understand your frustration - a few weeks ago I completed a purchase of a uke on here - sent money via paypal and got informed by the seller that he sold to someone else - two timing son of a wonderful person where amongst other things going through my mind - but hey there will be other ukes....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom