FS: Leeward Lounge #23 custom tenor, curly rewood top, grafted pistachio body

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doc_J

Reaction score
SOLD: Leeward Lounge #23 custom tenor, curly redwood top, grafted pistachio body

This Leeward Lounge custom tenor (#23) was recently completed (June 2014) by Fred Kroner. It has a stunning solid curly redwood top, a gorgeous solid grafted pistachio back and sides featuring an offset sound hole and a side soundport. It has a Tru-Oil finish, Ebony fretboard and bridge, Leeward Lounge headstock MOP inlay, MOP fret marker on top. Custom shell rosette with a cool stained glass look. Rosewood binding, rosewood headplate, solid mahogany neck. Groover open geared tuners. Includes a nice hardcase. Very resonant and responsive, with great volume and sustain. Bell-like tone, yet with warmth.

In mint condition, no dents, no dings, like new. As a handmade instrument this uke is not without several small imperfections. I will point out the small cross grain fissures in the top, and the bridge is slightly off center. Please see the pictures and ask questions. It's a gorgeous instrument, and definitely hand-made. If small things bother you, this uke isn’t for you.

I’m looking to thin my uke collection this year, and another great uke is up for sale. I really like this uke, but I've got others I play more frequently.

Recent sound sample in reentrant C tuning with Worth Browns:
https://app.box.com/s/gq1ol2v7misiumfjm3a7

Recent sound sample in reentrant B tuning:
https://app.box.com/s/vk4bou2opgg1ahr57gc9

SOLD

P1060653_zpscc30af4c.jpg

P1060652_zpsce8fc512.jpg

P1060651_zps41a90bc4.jpg

P1060995_zps466308b7.jpg

Last edited:
Wanted to add another photo of the top highlight small cross-grain fissures in the top. I wanted to point out that it is not a humidity crack. This is how it arrived from the builder, and has not changed over the time.

P1060978highlight_zps0da2feb6.jpg

Last edited:
What a sensational uke, Hodge!

Apart from the glorious sound, there are so many interesting features to look at. I'm not a fan of abalone rosettes, but this is quite different—mother of pearl cut in such a way it looks like a fine-art element. I really like that part. The top looks like it might be Rapunzel's hair.

The sound is killer, great balance, clear highs but very nice lows. What a nice combo, and pistachio! That is so weird I love it!

what is the neck width at the nut. it liiks like there is a lot of room between the top [and bottom] string and the fretboard edge. or is that just the picture? also, I don't get the fissures? you say cross grain, but I don't see it. I know some things are hard to show in a pic.
that's a very cool looking uke, I love the grain on that redwood!

what is the neck width at the nut. it liiks like there is a lot of room between the top [and bottom] string and the fretboard edge. or is that just the picture? also, I don't get the fissures? you say cross grain, but I don't see it. I know some things are hard to show in a pic.
that's a very cool looking uke, I love the grain on that redwood!

Hi Andy,

The width at the nut is a standard 1-3/8 inch. That picture of the nut, was the original nut from the builder. It was made with non-uniform spacing, so that the g-string a little closer to the c-string. I didn't like that so I made a new bone nut with perfect uniform spacing, using one of Ken Timms 4-slot dividers. The picture with old nut has been replaced with a newer pic I just took showing the new nut with even spacing.

I've circled the soundboard top fissures in green in my previous post. It's a small thing, but I want any defect to be known (I only like good surprises).

Thanks. It is pretty wood. Pistachio is similar in hardness and tone quality to ebony. The graft line is really unique.

Last edited:
I've never heard of this maker, but man...talk about making me want to buy something.

Hmmmmm...Bear gun or Uke???

I had one of Fred's early ukes-- his second, I think. Really nice tone, and he seems to only be getting better. Great looking uke, and bargain price!

I had one of Fred's early ukes-- his second, I think. Really nice tone, and he seems to only be getting better. Great looking uke, and bargain price!

It's got my favorite tone wood on top. I want a side port hole. I mean it really is what I want (though I have no idea bout pistachios other than my daughter loves the green nuts).

I have the funds, but it is slotted for a bear gun....grrrrrrrrr!!!

It's got my favorite tone wood on top. I want a side port hole. I mean it really is what I want (though I have no idea bout pistachios other than my daughter loves the green nuts).

I have the funds, but it is slotted for a bear gun....grrrrrrrrr!!!

attachment.php

Bear don't lie..

Attachments

• Bear.jpg
    Bear.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 109
Oh why oh why isn't this a concert? You would have had another sale to me. When you start thinning the concerts, please let me know. The way you maintain your stuff and the packing is sheer perfection and I would love to get something else from you when the time comes. Best wishes on this sale.

Oh why oh why isn't this a concert? You would have had another sale to me. When you start thinning the concerts, please let me know. The way you maintain your stuff and the packing is sheer perfection and I would love to get something else from you when the time comes. Best wishes on this sale.

I believe now is the time to expand your skill set with a tenor.........THIS tenor. It will take you down the path to G low ecstacy if you wish. You will never find another tenor like this one and particularly at this price. Be the first and only kid on your block with a pistachio uke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom