you preffer slotted headstock or regular headstock with a custom inlay artwork?

tangimango

Reaction score
I love both. Slotted head is limited on space so can manage a small.inlay. but a regular headstock has a good amount of space for beautiful inlay artwork to be possible.

What would you choose for your custom ukulele.

Slotted headstocks for me!

But I'm not looking for a special inlay either.

Regular for me - don't want it to look too much like a guitar. :cool:

I love slotted. A little inlay would be nice. Nothing too over the top. Possibly like an emblem or something. Keeping it plain can work too.

I do prefer the look of slotted but I don't own any. With slotted the taper is much more aburpt and the headstock is much thicker. I have an issue with my left hand and that means I need to slide my hand up the headstock and I can't do it with a slotted.

I think this looks nice with the UPT's

20141109_103024.jpg

Last edited:
If slotted, I prefer no inlay. If you love inlay, I would get a solid headstock.

I'd have to see who's going to do the inlays....if it's Chuck Moore...no doubt i'd get a regular headstock haha...otherwise I prefer slotted

I'd have to see who's going to do the inlays....if it's Chuck Moore...no doubt i'd get a regular headstock haha...otherwise I prefer slotted

This! As forthe left hand being affected by the slotted, I think it depends on the builder as many goes straight up before flaring out

Slotted head stock. I love Moore Betthah head stocks. Just can't afford the Uke attached to them.

I had a couple of guitars with slotted and did not like them. Much easier to change strings on a regular. Also the regular headstocks always are thinner in my experience.

Have both, like both. I came from classical guitar, and got used to the slotted style. The first custom build I got, a Zukulele, by Michael Zuch, I asked for the slotted, and it is a terrific instrument.

The build in-progress is a more traditional headstock, and has a unique, gorgeous inlay that satisfies my desire for bling, it's by Beau Hannam.

I mean, if you need an excuse to get another uke, different headstock works, hey?

I really prefer the look of simple standard headstocks with friction tuners. Though I am not a huge fan of inlays either. Inlays on ukes are kind of like tattoos on people. They are made by skilled artists no doubt. And some are truly awesome (tattoos and inlays). But the majority of them end up looking a little tacky to me. There are definitely inlays and tattoos that look beautiful and classy (MBs for example). But to me those are more the exception than the rule. Of course it is all just opinions and personal preference.

Slotted...my custom uke is being built with one. Pics are on here in another thread

I love the look of slotted headstocks (a hangover from my acoustic guitar days) but I find solid headstocks offer a wide range of tuner choices (love the new Gotoh planetary ones) and are much easier to string with my clumsy sausage fingers.

Generally I prefer the paddle headstock and straight through tuners - really like the Gotohs. But a good slotted headstock can also be very nice.

Regular so that I can have more space for an inlay... Unless your inlay is a tree or something skinny, then go slotted...

Top Bottom