PDA

View Full Version : Sound Hole Size on a Uke

VAUGHAN UKE'S
11-09-2014, 03:00 AM
Wondering whether the sound hole size on a uke would change the sound, for example would a larger sound hole make a Soprano uke more bass like?

dofthesea
11-09-2014, 06:40 AM
I like to use a decibel meter when making a side sound port. You can actually see and create a reference point for the optimal size.

jcalkin
11-09-2014, 09:17 AM
If anything, a larger sound hole should add treble. A smaller sound hole adds bass. But the difference is so small as to be insignificant, and if you chased it to extremes one way or the other the visual impact would be more noticeable than the auditory change. Build as light as you dare and the soprano uke will give you all it has to offer. Use low G tuning if you need more range in the bass.

Dibblet
11-09-2014, 11:48 PM
I don't find it at all insignificant. The soundhole size sets the helmoltz resonance of the body. Open strings are already slightly louder than fretted ones and when the helmoltz resonance coincides with the open string's frequency then you get a very prominent note there. Once you've noticed it, it becomes very annoying. Most sopranos have a helmholtz resonance around C and most tenors around the G below. It spoils them for me for re-entrant C tuning and low G tuning respectively. It's the main reason I like to play concerts which usually have the resonance around the A below middle C.

I suppose you could claim that the unevenness is part of the instruments charm. It's certainly a very common issue even among very high end instruments.