Does Tung Oil Polish Up?

Huvvers

Reaction score
I have a curly maple body with a spruce top underway and was thinking of using tung oil sealer instead of shellac. I also have tung top coat from Lee Valley. Has anyone used flannel wheels and polish to shine it up? Can it be done? I would appreciate your opinions. Thanx Gary

I've made several dulcimers finished with tung oil. Been quite a while back so I don't recall the exact finishing method. I believe I just rubbed several coats on with a soft lint free cloth, by several, probably 6 or 8 coats. This left them already with a pretty glossy finish. Not the depth of a sprayed on finish. This also doesn't compare to a pore filled nitro lacquer gloss finish but still pretty shiny. I'm not sure buffing would improve it measurably. If you're looking for a mirror smooth gloss, tung oil is not what you want, if you want an easily applied, still glossy finish it will work without a great deal of effort or learning.

It really depends on what you are expecting. If you want high gloss, then no. If you want it pretty glossy, then yes you can.

Prep is everything. Pore filling will go a long way on surface improvement when you are trying to achieve a gloss finish. If that's beyond you, then I recommend you don't try for high gloss, but a nice medium gloss with open pores is easily achievable.

Thanks for the quick response guys. Your comments helped me not use this combo onthis tenor body, but will be considered for another build I am dreaming about. Another question folks: Is the tung sealer compatible with sprayed lacquer? Thanks for your input.

Top Bottom