Something I made.

Rllink

Reaction score
Last year I played a little drum called a pandero, with a Plena Band. I struggle with rhythm, but if I concentrate I can keep one. But this year I want to play my ukulele, which is going to work just fine. But I have trouble playing my uke and keeping the rhythm. It is like I have to think of two things at once, and neither works when I do that. Actually I should be singing at the same time, so that is three. So one day a couple weeks ago I was in a store, and I found these little maracas. So I bought one. First I taped it to a ring that I have, but then later I hot glued it. I wrapped it with thread to give it a little extra color and strength, then I wear it while I'm playing. It has helped a lot. It really helps get a good rhythm going, and keep it going when you are strumming, especially when you have done some drumming.

Maraca ring.jpg

Last edited:
Cute. They actually already make those devices and they are called "Rhythm Rings."

cheers,

Petey

Yes, they make rhythm rings, but what you've made is cute and personal. Love it!

Here's a video comparing a rhythm ring and a finger shot.

Nice comparison video but the maracas are da best! hehe

Petey
Yes, I knew about those plastic rings. This wasn't an original idea. But I thought that the mini maraca was fun. Also, it sort of flops up and down when I strum, and it has a nice natural mellow sound to it. I mean, it doesn't sound like sand in pill bottle.

Last edited:
Yes, I knew about those plastic rings. This wasn't an original idea. But I thought that the mini maraca was fun. Also, it sort of flops up and down when I strum, and it has a nice natural mellow sound to it. I mean, it doesn't sound like sand in pill bottle.

Very cool. I love the thread too. Where did you find the mini maraca?

Very cool. I love the thread too. Where did you find the mini maraca?
I found it in a little store called Poet's Passage and it is off the Plaza Del Armas in Old San Juan, Puerto Rico. They have all kinds of Puerto Rican folk music instruments for sale there. Most of them either locally made, or made somewhere in the islands around PR. They also have a nice coffee shop adjacent to the store. On Tuesday evenings, they have poetry readings there and open mike. They tend to lean toward the readings, but sometimes someone can sneak in and sing a song or two. They don't discourage it, but they don't encourage it either. They try to keep it poetry oriented. Anyway, I've thought about maybe writing some poetry and just accenting parts of it with chords, and reading it there. That is pretty far off though, besides, we are in Iowa right now. Anyway, they had a basket full of mini maracas for three bucks each.

I found it in a little store called Poet's Passage and it is off the Plaza Del Armas in Old San Juan, Puerto Rico. They have all kinds of Puerto Rican folk music instruments for sale there. Most of them either locally made, or made somewhere in the islands around PR. They also have a nice coffee shop adjacent to the store. On Tuesday evenings, they have poetry readings there and open mike. They tend to lean toward the readings, but sometimes someone can sneak in and sing a song or two. They don't discourage it, but they don't encourage it either. They try to keep it poetry oriented. Anyway, I've thought about maybe writing some poetry and just accenting parts of it with chords, and reading it there. That is pretty far off though, besides, we are in Iowa right now. Anyway, they had a basket full of mini maracas for three bucks each.

That is really cool. Hope you do it on hour next trip south!

Top Bottom